Corsair Community

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X Memory

Blackwatch42nd

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

I'm replacing my older Gigabyte MB with a Z390 Gaming X with an i7-8700K and am having a hard time finding memory for it. The QVL does not list a 64G set of sticks but does list several 16G (like CMD64GX4M4C3000C15 or CMR64GX4M4C3333C16). Neither does the Memory Finder on Corsair's web page list the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X.

I'd like to take it to 64G. Not interested in over clocking (well not right now anyway) and don't need any fancy lights on the sticks, just need the memory.

So 2 questions:

1. can you run 2 sticks of a 64G set (32 total) and add 2 more later?

2. Any recommendations?

Thanx

John

This is can be hazardous.

1) Mixing memory is hit and miss. Notwithstanding whether you put in two of a comparable unit and they were perfect next to each other in the mechanical office, they may be conflicting. Memory similitude issues reach out from the system fail to POST, crushing in the midst of Windows startup, or basically conflicting strange lead and self-assertive goof messages (I call this a ghost in the structure). The most ideal approach to guarantee likeness is to buy a unit that offers the limit you need.

2) If it works, you'll have an odd number of sticks. This will force your IMC to continue running in single-channel mode, speculatively cutting your memory information exchange limit down the center.

Thanx for the response.

I'm not talking about mixing memory sticks. Just about buying 2 of exactly the same part number (i.e CMU32GX4M2C3000C15) and then adding 2 more of the same later (making the equivalent of CMU64GX4M4C3000C15).

Maybe I don't understand how the sticks are tested. I'm assuming that the sticks listed above are exactly the same. When you buy a kit like CMU64GX4M4C3000C15, are the sticks in that unique kit tested together or do they just take 4 of CMU16GX4M1C3000C15 to build up a kit?

I'd really appreciate some illumination on this topic and how the process works and part numbers relate to each other.

Thanx

John

Thanx for the response.

I'm not talking about mixing memory sticks. Just about buying 2 of exactly the same part number (i.e CMU32GX4M2C3000C15) and then adding 2 more of the same later (making the equivalent of CMU64GX4M4C3000C15).

Maybe I don't understand how the sticks are tested. I'm assuming that the sticks listed above are exactly the same. When you buy a kit like CMU64GX4M4C3000C15, are the sticks in that unique kit tested together or do they just take 4 of CMU16GX4M1C3000C15 to build up a kit?

I'd really appreciate some illumination on this topic and how the process works and part numbers relate to each other.

Thanx

John

I think the are QVC'ed differently. I think at the speed & latency you are talking about, you should be fine. Though even the same part numbers have difference revision numbers. The revision numbers refer to different memory modules from different companies i.e. Hynix, Micron, and Samsung.

Archived