Corsair Community

AX1200 Buzzing Noises

Vimm

Okay so bare with me here as this is kind of a long post.

Last year I bought an AX1200 and instantly it began to have a buzzing noise. So I returned it to the retailer and got a replacement model from them. This also had the buzzing noise.

So I figure maybe there is something wrong with my system? - I install a Corsair HX1000 which I had already and no buzzing. I take that out and install a Cooler Master Real Power Pro (1000 Watt). Also no buzzing.

So I think maybe the store where I got the AX1200 from had a bad batch. So I order from a different store entirely. This is my 3rd AX1200 - Same buzzing noise. (This happened just this week).

I don't understand what is going on here is my system incompatible with this power supply or something? - I've returned my 3rd one to the store I got it from in exchange for my money back.

The reason I am writing this is because to be quite frank I wanna know what is going on why are all these 1200's making a buzzing noise? I searched Google for "AX1200 Buzzing" and got a few Youtube videos where others are experiencing the same exact sound as me.

I really want this Power Supply in my system because its efficient and quiet (or should be) but I can't have this buzzing sound going on it would drive me crazy in a few hours.

Is Corsair aware of this buzzing/whining and also if you are what are you doing to correct it? - If anyone knows where I can get one that doesn't make a Buzzing sound please let me know. Also I'm in the UK.

- Thanks

No it did not help. Did you read my post at all? :confused:

HX1000 = No Noise

Coolermaster 1000 = No Noise

AX1200 = Noise (when under load)

The AX1200 is what is at fault here. And I can't seem to get one that doesn't make the noise.

Yes, I read your posts. You did not mention whether or not you changed any BIOS settings, booted into safe mode, changed video card settings, etc. Therefore I asked if you had read the sticky.

I understand that the other power supply models don't buzz, and that 3 AX1200s do, HOWEVER, the higher grade PSUs have more sensitive components and things that wouldn't affect other power supplies could (and do) affect them. That's why that sticky exists and asks people to try those changes.

From what you posted you never tested any AX1200s in other systems. Therefore there could be a component and/or setting in your rig that causes it to make the noise, but it may not make any noise in another system.

So you are saying that this isn't an issue with the AX1200 because it is so high end? - I mean come on I tried a HX1000 which is a high end PSU and the Cooler Master I tried is also a very high end PSU.

They are both 1000 Watts. And I did try the 3rd PSU in my Media Center but I was unable to cause a large enough load to get it to buzz. It's kinda hard to put my GTX 480's in that case because they don't physically fit.

The AX1200 only buzzes when it's under high load like 500 Watts+

I already tried deactivating all the BIOS features listed in that sticky. C1 C2 C3 etc in different combination's.

Is this buzzing issue a known problem with the AX1200 then based on what you are saying it seems like it is. What is Corsair doing to fix it?

So you are saying that this isn't an issue with the AX1200 because it is so high end?
Not what I said.

I already tried deactivating all the BIOS features listed in that sticky. C1 C2 C3 etc in different combination's.
Thanks for the clarification.

Is this buzzing issue a known problem
No.

I think the very first batch had a small buzzing issue, but I believe it was as simple as a loose ziptie catch inside (no, not user accessible). That was a long time ago though, and wasn't load sensitive AFAIK.

So, did Corsair identify the problem & therefore found a solution to the buzzing sound?:confused:

Not what I said.

Thanks for the clarification.

No.

I think the very first batch had a small buzzing issue, but I believe it was as simple as a loose ziptie catch inside (no, not user accessible). That was a long time ago though, and wasn't load sensitive AFAIK.

So, did Corsair identify the problem & therefore found a solution to the buzzing sound?:confused:

I don't think Corsair want to admit to any kind of Buzzing noise at-least not publicly. However simply typing AX 1200 in to Youtube results in a lot of Buzzing Videos being in the top results. If you search for any other PSU you get reviews, AX 1200 you get buzzing. I'm not impressed by these responses in this thread to be honest.

The words by Wired look very well picked as not to alarm or to admit a known fault.

They send me another AX1200 which they promised to have fixed but it had buzzing/whine + a louder fan.

I bought the HX1000 and i am extremely satisfied with my choice. This PSU is almost completely silent, doesn't even say a thing even under load. The only issue is that it is not fully modular but i can live with that, also the HX1000 has a blue sticker which visually doesn't go well with my black/red colour theme. But that's all, apart from that great PSU.

If you already bought the HX1000 then why go with the AX1200? I don't get the idea.

the sound from power supply could be produced by not well fixed wires on coils, or magnetostrictive effect in ferromagnetics. or it is the fan.

it looks like defect of construction.

My guess is defective construction. The updated AX1200 had the coils wrapped in plastic to avoid interference, but it has no effect.

Buy the HX1000, that unit was produced when Corsair was voted as best PSU/RAM manufacture of 2009, extreme quality unit. Plus it is less expensive.

If you already bought the HX1000 then why go with the AX1200? I don't get the idea.

I already use the HX1000 in my Server I moved it to my Desktop for testing. My old PSU that was in my desktop was the Cooler Master but it is near deaths door and time to replace (several years old).

Also I wanted a nice quiet power supply and the AX 1200 was rated as very quiet at 50% load (24db) that is another reason why I wanted to replace my older PSU.

I'm going to try once more with the AX 1200 but if that one is also defective I think that may be the last Corsair product I buy.

I neglected to mention this earlier but I had a HX 1000 in my desktop system before the Cooler Master and that PSU died after 3 months of use. Corsair replaced it with a new one (the new one is what I use in my Server). I've not had a great experience with Corsair products in general, I've had the Nautilus Water Cooler which had a leaking tank, I had 1 DIMM that arrived with one gold piece chipped off the PCB which meant that RAM needed to be returned and now the three AX 1200 failuers.

However to contrast that with what has worked. I bought a Corsair H50 which worked perfectly and I also currently have a Corsair HS-1 headset which also works fine.

Some might say I am crazy to keep buying products from them after this especially power units considering that I've had 4 failures in 4 purchases (aka 100% duds) with their power supplies but it's hard to deny when the products are working they are usually the best in functionality and usability. Indeed the RMA'd HX 1000 I received from Corsair directly works perfectly and has since the day I got it.

I already use the HX1000 in my Server I moved it to my Desktop for testing. My old PSU that was in my desktop was the Cooler Master but it is near deaths door and time to replace (several years old).

Also I wanted a nice quiet power supply and the AX 1200 was rated as very quiet at 50% load (24db) that is another reason why I wanted to replace my older PSU.

I'm going to try once more with the AX 1200 but if that one is also defective I think that may be the last Corsair product I buy.

I neglected to mention this earlier but I had a HX 1000 in my desktop system before the Cooler Master and that PSU died after 3 months of use. Corsair replaced it with a new one (the new one is what I use in my Server). I've not had a great experience with Corsair products in general, I've had the Nautilus Water Cooler which had a leaking tank, I had 1 DIMM that arrived with one gold piece chipped off the PCB which meant that RAM needed to be returned and now the three AX 1200 failuers.

However to contrast that with what has worked. I bought a Corsair H50 which worked perfectly and I also currently have a Corsair HS-1 headset which also works fine.

Some might say I am crazy to keep buying products from them after this especially power units considering that I've had 4 failures in 4 purchases (aka 100% duds) with their power supplies but it's hard to deny when the products are working they are usually the best in functionality and usability. Indeed the RMA'd HX 1000 I received from Corsair directly works perfectly and has since the day I got it.

I don't get your logic.

If you had previously good experience with the HX1000 -- and you needed a new psu -- then why didn't you just buy another HX1000 - which you have had previously good experience with?

EDIT: I can tell you that the HX1000 is way more silent than the AX1200, so if you want a silent PSU go with the HX1000. Maybe i had a golden sample, but my HX1000 is definitely the best PSU i had, runs stable, doesn't say a thing, great corsair quality.

Well if you read my post my first HX 1000 died. And when it died it took my Motherboard with it (all other components were fine). The model Corsair sent me as an RMA is the one I use in my Server.

Why don't I buy another HX 1000? - Because the AX 1200 has more headroom if I want to add more hardware, it has higher efficiency, it has a single rail design. These are all legitimate reasons to purchase the AX 1200 over the HX 1000 in my opinion.

And you don't need to 'get my logic' because I'm not asking for you to. I'm asking what is wrong with the AX 1200 for it to make crazy buzzing noises and what they are doing to fix it (if anything)

Well if you read my post my first HX 1000 died. And when it died it took my Motherboard with it (all other components were fine). The model Corsair sent me as an RMA is the one I use in my Server.

Why don't I buy another HX 1000? - Because the AX 1200 has more headroom if I want to add more hardware, it has higher efficiency, it has a single rail design. These are all legitimate reasons to purchase the AX 1200 over the HX 1000 in my opinion.

I don't know what is wrong with the AX1200, maybe Flextronics was a bad choice as OEM, but it's not a reason for not buying Corsair products, while i admit that the AX1200 probably were not what i expected it to be, Corsair still offers a wide range of quality products. I would say stick with the HX1000, honestly Corsair makes great hardware, while i wasn't too lucky with the AX1200 myself, Corsair is IMO still be the best of the best when it comes to PSU/RAM.

I don't care much for these +80 gold certified units, what really matters is the product being of reliable quality.

And you don't need to 'get my logic' because I'm not asking for you to. I'm asking what is wrong with the AX 1200 for it to make crazy buzzing noises and what they are doing to fix it (if anything)

You could probably exchange it for a new, but that is like playing the lottery ( been there ). Alternatively you could locate the faulty components and have them isolated but it doesn't seem to fix it. Again i can only recommend the HX1000.

Okay I got my 4th AX 1200 today and guess what? - No buzzing. No whining nothing. It's working fine, I'm at 100% load full stressing and no noises. I think I finally got one that isn't b0rked.

Also it's actually very quiet in general the fan on it is quite good. So I'm happy. I got this 4th unit from Scan.co.uk I dunno if that matters (maybe they have newer stock than elsewhere?) but yeah all working fine.

And I think it's pretty clear from this that it wasn't my system as the culprit.

• 9 months later...

Archived