Corsair Community

TX950W Causes Windows To Freeze

oratorio

I just installed my new TX950W and found that the motherboard would not POST with my current BIOS settings. I cleared CMOS and was able to log on to Windows, but after a few seconds the computer would freeze. After switching back to my Earthwatts 500w PSU everything is back to normal

I'm positive that all cables were connected, so either some of the connectors don't work, are not compatible, or the PSU is faulty. Could I have done something wrong?

Tried with another GPU (passive), and the results were the same: crash in windows after a few seconds. It seems almost as if the PSU is not able to deliver enough power. If I undervolt my CPU then I am able to boot up, otherwise the computer will freeze before it reaches windows.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the PSU, or at least it doesn't work with my particular setup. If I RMA it to the store I bought it from, I'm afraid they will find no problem with the PSU since their test bench probably is less powerhungry. Is there such a thing as PSU compatibility?

I didn't test safe mode. I did however try booting up both with and without overclocking the cpu. On my 500w PSU the i7 920 runs at a stable 4Ghz 24/7. With the tx950w, the system will not boot at all using OC settings. At stock speed it will boot, but windows stops responding after a few seconds. At an even lower clock speed I managed to run intelburntest for a couple of minutes.

Could it be something as simple as the PSU not getting enough power/something wrong with electricity in my house? Anyway, by reading through posts on this forum I notice that others have experienced similar problems.

• Corsair Employee
OK, I'm gonna try to get this replaced, but on the RMA page TX950W isn't listed (only TX850W).

Just select the TX850 for now and mention that you actually have the TX950 in the description and we will update it manually for you. In the mean time I will see if I can get them to add the TX950 to the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, a quick google "faulty TX950" brought me here.

I just bought a brand new tX950 and I have the exact same problems. On CPU stock settings, the PC was posting but not booting, it kept freezing at windows logo. I tried OC settings and it was booting but freezing after a short time. It was freezing in games, explorer, firefox. I had program crashes.

So I tried back my old 620w PSU and no freezes at all. I switched both PSUs a few times and the TX950 kept freezing all the time.

I have submitted a request RMA. I'm not mad tho, I can't wait to have a working TX950!

I have almost the same problem. Strangely if I lay the case on its sides, it's better. Sometimes it can even last me 2 hours in Far Cry 2, if I'm lucky. But that requires me to unplug and replug the graphics card firmly(maybe that action is not even relevant, since it's a brand new system, there isn't any mechanical faults to bare eyes). With vsync on, graphics intensive processings are more likely to freeze the system; with vsync off, simple processing where fps is highest are mostly likely to freeze. I can really tell if this is a PSU issue or a GPU issue.

Archived