Corsair Community

Asus P5B Deluxe+TWIN2X2048-6400 BIG PROBLEMS !

Frank Berner

Hi Ram Guy,

my Problems are the same as the other user here in the forums. My RAMs didn´t work correctly in addition with the Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard and so I would give them back to the Corsair Company.

The thing is, when Corsair send me new memory back, I expext that the problems would be the same. . .

Is that right or can I expect better memory that works correctly with the Asus P5B Motherboard ??

Whats with your contact to the Asus Guys ?? Make they some changes in the BIOS, so that the RAMs working correctly ? I´ve the newest one (Rev.804) but nothing changes and I set also the USB Legacy Support on "Disabled" in the BIOS.

Thank you very much,

Frank

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I did all the stuff.

1. Set to 2.1 V

2. SPD Timings from Manufacturer

3.Latest BIOS 0711

Memtest86+ said everytime failures, when I want to set my timings manually.

When the SPD is in the Auto-Setting then it´s normal.

AND : In the Boot Section I read that I have an PC4200 Memory ??? (In SPD manual mode)

All what I want is, to overclock my E6300 a little bit to 3 GHz. Asus recommend your memory and Corsair said it´s the best overclocking memory.

Have anybody my setup and can help me ?

Greetings

Frank

RAM GUY !!

I think YOU know about the problems with the TWIN2X2048-6400 (C5-Modules !!!). Your Company say, that this memory WORKS with the Asus P5B Deluxe, but they doesn't !!! You answered in this forum everytime the same thing, disable USB, newest BIOS, BLA BLA BLA, sorry, but I think you should do MORE than this !!

PLEASE, contact the ASUS Guys and figure out the SPD Problem (Manual Settings,etc.). The Timings are not correct, and memtest86+ does make failures. WE PAY A LOT OF MONEY !!

Otherwise : Is it possible, that Corsair change my Memory to the C4 or PRO-Version ??

PLEASE, CONTACT THE ASUS GUYS and stay tune with us for an new BIOS Revision, with a fix for this SPD-and timing-Problems.

Thanks and Greetings

Frank

CPU : E6300

Voltages : AUTO

CPU Settings : AUTO

BIOS : Actually 804, but even 711 tested without success.

TEST TOOL : Memtest86+ 1.65

Testing : With USB disabled, Voltage 2.1, BIOS, ALL !!!

Memory Settings : ONLY SPD DISABLED,see :

I have the TWIN2X2048-6400 too (note it's the CAS 5 version)

I had this problem since the beginning and i even switched to a new pair but with same results.

The thing is as follows when u set the RAM to SPD , things will go well with MEMETEST86+ no problems.

But when set to manual (even if you haven't changed a thing in the manual settings) then u will fail MEMTEST86+.

a few odd things to consider

the memory module is rated as follows : 5-5-5-12

when set to SPD checking with CPUZ you will see 5-5-5-18

now when set to manual the Bios actually shows a few feilds with 6-6...

In any event setting to manual and trying to put 5-5-5-12/15/18 FAILS MEMTEST86+ at some point.

This leads me to believe that when you set to MANAUL (RAM SETTINGS) the OTHER parameters aside from the X-X-X-YY are different then the ones being used when set to SPD

and that is probably what makes the difference and cause the failure of the modules at MEMTEST86+.

PLEASE, GIVE ME AN SOLUTION ! Many other owners have the SAME PROBLEM !!!

Thanks

Frank

• Corsair Employee
Frank I would suggest setting the timing to "BY SPD" for now this MB had an issue previously with this issue but 0711 Bios version should have fixed the issue. Also what slots do you have the modules in? And when you updated the bios what method did you use? Also please tell me the complete part# and revision and lot code off of your modules.

Hi and thanks for your Reply !

OK :

I use the newest 0804 BIOS for my MB, but I´ved already tested the 0711 the problems are the same. All tests are checked with memtest86+/1.65.

I updated all BIOS Versions via EZ Flash from my USB-Stick and after that I loaded the Setup defaults before I tried to set the SPD timings.

The Part-Informations :

1. TWIN2X2048-6400

2. All other informations in my next post, I have to turn off my computer ;-))

Thanks for your assistance and I HOPE you can help me !

Greetings Frank

Hi Ram Guy, here my post, now the ORIGINAL Memory-part-informations :

1. Memory

CM2X1024-6400

XMS6405v.5.1

179067 0634219-8

2. Memory

CMX1024-6400

XMS6405v.5.1

179068 0634219-8

I run the Memory in Dual-Channel- Mode, that means, that I have 4 Slots (A1-A2-B1-B2 with 2 Colors/2Channels) and Memory 1 is in A1,Memory 2 is in B1, both the same Color and that is correct, I hope . . . ;-))

OK Ram Guy, now I´ved answered all your questions ! Thanks again, that you support me in this heavy problem, but think : When you can help me, you help MANY other users !!!

Greetings

Frank

Hello Ram_Guy

I share EXACTLY the same problem and already asked you to contact Asus to get more technical about it.

here is a reference to my previous post :

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54316

Unfortunatly you seem to roll the problem to ASUS instead of understanding that this is a mutual intrest issue for both corsair and Asus as people will avoid your RAM once they see this issues as it spreads around with these modules.

Again i oferd a way to debug it easily just take a Memory Controler Register dump when things are set to SPD in bios, and do this again when set to MANAUL (with or without puting the rated timing in).

now all you need to do is compare the diffrences and correct it in future Bios.

Yes Asus will have to do that, but you can makes things move faster by approching them with this problem, its a mutual intrest issues.

Please do not abndon your loyal customers !

and please No more contact Asus , jsut have your tech department get in touch with Asus Tech on this mater.

Thanks in advance.

Alright, I confirm this is a problem at the rated speeds of 5-5-5-12, 1.9v, manually set.

After one hour of Memtest I did get an error, test 2, pass 2 to be precise.

I have not tested yet to make sure it is stable using SPD, the next thing to test is to manually set timings at 5-5-5-18, which is what the motherboard incorrectly sets if you use the SPD, to see if it is stable.

My system is a P5b-Deluxe/Wifi as well, Core2Duo e6400.

• Corsair Employee

First thing, I and we have not abandoned any one! But if this is a bios issue ASUS will have to address it! Yes we talk to them on a regular basis the best you can do is report the problem to there tech support as they will listen to you more then me as you are their customer.

Second thing, I would suggest flashing the bios using a floppy drive and the AFUdos program to make sure its getting flashed properly. Then start over by loading setup defaults and set the timings manually and are you disabling Legacy USB in the bios when you run http://www.memtest.org. And for the record I did not see the problem with 0711 or 0804 Bios version in our lab!

Yes i did disable legacy USB as u mentioned several times (also tried with bios0711 and 0804).

you are saying taht in your Lab a P5B deluxe with the "regular C5 TwinX2048-6400" you passed teh full set of memtest while u set memory timing to manual and set it as 5-5-5-12 ?

If so can you be so kind and put a screen shot of the RAM setting page, including everything even things which may seem redundent.

I want to comepare .

and willign to help in debuging the issue

• Corsair Employee
I mean I have tested this MB and not been able to duplicate the problem you have reported so you either have a noisy PSU or a failing module or some other problem. Again I would suggest flashing the bios like I suggested previously and see if that helps, other wise testing the modules in another system would be helpful.

Hi Ram_Guy

I've taken pictures of how the screen looks like when changing the SPD to DISABLE (before putting any settings manulally.)

Marked in RED is the changes i made and which i fails with.

Btw, i changed to a new pair and getting same results.

Basically I want to confirm that you at your lab has the same settings when u switch to "MANUAL" , and in addition is the only change you are making is to ones that i have marked ? (6-> 5 , 6->5 and 15->12)

I'm failing both the basic settings after switching to Manual settings, and alos when using them as they are (including the "6's")

And also failing after setting to 5-5-5-12 or 5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-18)

i'm using E6600

Ram : modules XMS6405v5.1 Twin2x2048-6400

Video: Gigabyte 6600GT

HDD : seagate 250GB 16MB SATAII

P5B Deluxe (not wifi version , even though tehy are the same board its lacking the wifi H/W -> this may be an issue to consider as it effects the H/W)

Please make sure you are using the same board, we may think its redundent as this is the same Motherboard but diffrent population of afew components, maybe it has en effect. so please make sure you have tested in your lab with P5B Deluxe M.B

SPD_Disable1.thumb.JPG.24704e0755d0838d5399a6fd3135b305.JPG

Voltage_set.thumb.JPG.91f89e35d1331cde5823aec3d52d687a.JPG

Timus

PROBLEM SOLVED !

5-5-5-12 6-42-3-11-5-14

it works, i'm finally stable with those settings.

can you please tell me how you got to those settings and/or who provided them ?

RAM_GUY

Please comment on those settings, can you verify those, did you use those "extra settings" in the bios also ? can you provide an offical parameters that are corect for these RAM MODULES for those extra rows (6-42-3-11-5-14)

This is EXTREMELY important that you willpass it to ASUS so they can fix their bios in the next release.

again thanks allot

Timus

PROBLEM SOLVED !

5-5-5-12 6-42-3-11-5-14

it works, i'm finally stable with those settings.

can you please tell me how you got to those settings and/or who provided them ?

________________________________________________________________________________

I use memset program to show correct setting when SPD is set to AUTO.

It seems to me that Asus bios not read SPD settings from memory at all when manual settings is enabled.

Last four settings are 10, probably bios defaults.

You find that little program here:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/120402-memset-3-0-a.html

Hello all, I got a reply from Asus (amazing!)

They will fix the BIOS, but we need to know if those are the proper settings. We still don't know where that guy got them all...

Well I will fire off an email to Corsair support to see if they can confirm those timings as well...

I did just test them overnight and I am 8 hours memtest stable with those settings.

Hi all...

please note that guy say

Use 5-5-5-12-5-42-3-11-5-14 settings.

You say

5-5-5-12 6-42-3-11-5-14

So please is 5 or 6 ??

Anyway Ive used the setting 5-5-5-12 6-42-3-11-5-14 and now is fine!! :D:

Lets hope RAM GUY will certified !!

Uh im from italy sorry for my english... :)

Hi all...

please note that guy say

Use 5-5-5-12-5-42-3-11-5-14 settings.

You say

5-5-5-12 6-42-3-11-5-14

So please is 5 or 6 ??

Anyway Ive used the setting 5-5-5-12 6-42-3-11-5-14 and now is fine!! :D:

Lets hope RAM GUY will certified !!

Uh im from italy sorry for my english... :)

I have 8500C5 and used: 5-5-5-15-6-42-3-11-5-14 @ 2.2v

Thanks to you i found the timings i needed! Thank you! I tried memtest and no errors!

Archived