Corsair Community

Normal vs. Hybrid

Aye

To you folks who have a Hybrid fan option on your power supply, which do you use? Hybrid or Normal? And why?

I've been using Hybrid but thinking of switching to normal. Having cool air blow over my PSU's internals at all times makes more sense to me.

Good question. I went for the AX860 originally because of its raving reviews and this 'magic' switch. My Corsair 500D case is well ventilated it but still gives me peace of mind having the AX860 fan running 24/7.

The case fans are audible but not loud when my ambient room temp goes into the higher 20° but generally when the ambient is in low 20°, I can usually hear my 7200 RPM hard drives above anything else.

I always install PSUs with the fan up. I'd hate to have a hybrid fan PSU with the fan facing down. No ventilation, those poor caps!

I would in a heart beat. These PSU's are so efficient they don't produce any real heat at low loads. For most it's wrapping their head around the mindset that you don't need fans much any more when for years it was always add more. It wont be long for totally fan less PSU's to become more mainstream and eventually the norm. They are already being sold up to a certain wattage.

I think we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves here. PSU's are used around the world in all kinds of climates including those where you are in temperatures of 30/40+ ambient pretty much all the time so I doubt completely fanless PSUs will become the norm.

Where I live in summer it gets in the high 30s and early 40s, and I've yet to see my AX860i fan spin.

According to Corsair Link, the highest my PSU has reached is in the late 40s and the fan never kicked in.

And yes, it does work, it's just that the load isn't high enough for the fan to run.

Corsair designed it this way, and if they're confident to offer a 7 year warranty, then I really don't see the need to run the fan constantly.

I think we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves here. PSU's are used around the world in all kinds of climates including those where you are in temperatures of 30/40+ ambient pretty much all the time so I doubt completely fanless PSUs will become the norm.

They said the same thing about semi-fanless, and intelligent PSU's too!;):

Archived