Corsair Community

CPU power limit throttling

flazoon

This is deliberate behavior built into the Corsair One to prevent overheating not just the CPU, but surface components of the motherboard (VRMs, for example) as well.

Thank you Dustin, I understand this is a built-in protection, I'm just wondering if others experience this as well on their C1 and if this is expected to happen on stock settings. I was able to successfully run these benchmarks on other systems without seeing this (I know it's not apples to apples, but still...).

So, C1 owners who ran these kind of tests (OCCT, Prime95 etc.) please share your experience.

Edit: I wouldn't want to dismiss this issue too easily. C1 is supposed to be a high-end gaming PC and these tests should IMO run clean, without any CPU throttling on stock setup. I'd like to understand if this is specific to my unit or is this is a C1/7700K thing in general.

• Corsair Employee

It's C1 in general. It's how the processor is actually supposed to work, and performs exactly in line with stock i7-7700K processors.

The processor isn't strictly "throttling" either; the CPU is specced to run at a base clock of 4.2GHz, turbo-ing up to 4.5GHz on a single core when thermals and power consumption permit. "Throttling" would be the processor running at 3GHz or 800MHz because it's overheating or drawing too much power, and that's not what's going on at all.

An update on this for whoever's interested, I was able to run the OCCT small data set stress test without hitting any kind of throttling by increasing Turbo Boost Power Max by 10W (from default 95W to 105W) together with a .80mV undervolt. CPU got to a maximum of 91C during the test.

I'm still curious how other C1s perform in these kind of tests.

Archived