The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 AM
TheArkratos's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926132
TheArkratos Reputation: 10
Default [Build Log] King Ghidorah, 3 Gamers - 1 Threadripper - CWE

Intro

Now that the mainstream can get crazy core counts for not insane prices, I've been wanting to do a multi user system. A workstation by day, LAN party by night. I have 2 rx480s with copper blocks on them so far, I am in discussions to get a third. So I'm thinking, a 3 headed monster with a dedicated server? 4 cores and 16 gb of ram each, with lots of watercooling! I've narrowed down a few cases and designs, more to come on that later. But right now, things are coming in... Let's do this!

First I must say a big thank you to AMD and Corsair for sponsoring me with the cpu, motherboard, ram, case, and powersupply. I had just upgraded to Ryzen and I must say if that's the a powerhouse, then threadripper is a monster! A Kaiju, if you will?

Table of Contents
Update 0: Intro/Initial packaging

Parts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard: Gigabyte x399 Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: 64GB of Corsair LPX 2933
GPUs: 3x RX 480 reference with EK copper single slot block.
SSDs: 3x Corsair MP500 240GB
Powersupply: Corsair RM1000x
Case: Corsair air 740
Monitors: 3x Acer KG221Q bmix 21.5"

Plan (Will be revised):
[ ] Post check of components
[ ] If scratch then case design
[ ] Monitor Mounting Design
[ ] Painting
[ ] Watercooling set up
[ ] Rigid tubing

UPDATE 0
And look at that packaging, I've never been so in awe upboxing something...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TreadripperLogoPackage.jpg (510.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Motherboard1.jpg (467.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TeamUpFightOn.jpg (435.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg CPU Package Apart.jpg (385.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg CPU Manual.jpg (406.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg CPU carrier 1.jpg (352.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg logo.jpg (204.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by TheArkratos; 11-21-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Update Parts/Formatting

Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 AM
TheArkratos's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926133
Default And More Recently

The monitors that I have chosen are the Acer Gaming 21.5" KG221Q bmix, they are 75hz, Freesync, 1vms, TN monitors that measure 20" by 12". The amazing part of the case selection is that the Corsair AIR 740 measures: 426mm x 340mm x 510mm meaning that if I turn the case on it's side, so the window is up, and a monitor will almost perfectly fit on the front.

And now that I have ram, SSDs, and the case, I can begin work! Next update should include more information about the parts and a general plan for the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheGoods.jpg (496.4 KB, 45 views)

Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 AM

POST ID # = 926276
kakaginuvu Reputation: 10

So why does it feel like it is being marketed towards a community dominated by gamers? Is that just my misperception? The picture of Linus holding the Threadripper machine over his head on the front page of r/pcmasterrace made me thing about this.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 PM
TheArkratos's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926294

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakaginuvu View Post
So why does it feel like it is being marketed towards a community dominated by gamers? Is that just my misperception? The picture of Linus holding the Threadripper machine over his head on the front page of r/pcmasterrace made me thing about this.
Honestly... I have no idea why they would do that... My old main (doesn't get modified ever) machine is a 4790k and going to a 1950x even at 4ghz, is a very slight downgrade for anything that uses 4 cores or less. That said, that's still more than good enough to not bottleneck a graphics card at higher resolutions.

Threadripper is a productivity monster, great for high thread count loads and virtual machines. Virtual machines are literally getting better on Threadripper as we speak now that the KVM npt AMD bug has been fixed enabling pass through on KVM. Only reason I could see a "gamer" getting this chip is if they stream in multiple formats at once or do a lot of productivity on the side, possibly gaming while rendering, etc. Or if they just want the high end for the sake of the high end. Lastly, I guess if they NEED 64 PCIe lanes, which I don't know how you would fill that up in a practical build.

I'm planning 3 rx480s and 3 NVME drives, I'm not even maxing out the PCIe lanes... (Cards run in 16, 8, 16, with the 3 NVME taking up 12, making a total of 52 out of the available 60)

Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 AM
TheArkratos's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927147

Planning for the case is starting, and I must say after unboxing this thing, it doesn't feel nearly as large as I was expecting. Because it's "double wide" it's a lot shorter both top to bottom and front to back. Overall, I'm really pleased with the size, and the build quality is quite nice!

But more importantly this is how it's planning to be used.

With a monitor essentially replacing the front. Look at how perfectly sized that is!

The others will be mounted via an arm to the side. I'm still looking into the structural integrity of where to mount those arms, but the size look really solid.

I think this case will be perfect for this, and the amount of watercooling it supports will mean the three RX480s and 1950x should be nice and cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheCase1.jpg (376.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg TheCaseBack.jpg (336.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TheCaseSide.jpg (389.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TheCaseSideMonitor1.jpg (318.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg TheCaseSideMonitor2.jpg (359.2 KB, 6 views)