Corsair Community

Crystal 280X chamber depth

eds89

Hi,

I currently have an air 240, with a Zotac GTX 1070 Mini.

The 1070 PCB is such that, when the PCI-e power connector is plugged in, the cables are so tall that it prevents the side panel from going on.

I've been looking at the 280x, and external dimensions look exactly the same.

The pictures of the rear of the cases however, make it look like the chamber containing the main system components is slightly deeper as the mounting for the PCI-e cards is also different.

Is there any info on the depth of the chamber, so I can see if it is a suitable replacement for my Air 240?

Cheers

Eds

That card is 29.8cm and the max GPU length this case supports is 30cm. It's a tight fit and you won't be able to put a radiator in the front if you do that.

>>Please be patient, new to this <<

What is the maximum GPU length to fit a radiator in the front?

Does it change with a Micro-ATX or a Mini-ITX mobo? (I know it shouldn't but, we're discussing clearances of +/- 0.1cm so, it's worth asking)

>>Please be patient, new to this <<

What is the maximum GPU length to fit a radiator in the front?

Does it change with a Micro-ATX or a Mini-ITX mobo? (I know it shouldn't but, we're discussing clearances of +/- 0.1cm so, it's worth asking)

That's a bit tougher because it'll depend on the thickness of the radiator.

And it won't change with a Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX mobo.

I will say, though ... I'm pretty impressed with the space available in the 280X (I just got one for my kid's game room build). For such a small case, it's pretty open and easy to work with.

That makes sense. Forgive me I'm an engineer and I may be overthinking this..

From the case specs on Corsair's website, they say the case width is 350mm. I assumed this referred to the external dimensions, but this isn't specified. Considering the standard width for fans is 25mm, that would actually support the dimension as being chamber depth, as there would not be enough clearance for a radiator this way (350, -300, -25).

The H100i radiator is 30mm thick. That makes 55mm total with fans. So does this mean, that 290mm is the longest possible GPU I can use with it leaving me 5mm of clearance?

Thank you so much!!

This confirms my reasoning!! 12.875 inches is 327mm, close enough to 325. add 25mm of fan thickness, it makes Corsair's quoted 350mm!

This confirms that if you want to add a front rad your GPU length must be:

325, minus rad thickness, minus Xmm for clearance.

PS: I died a little inside when I saw the ruler was in inches :laughing::laughing:

Thank you so much!!

This confirms my reasoning!! 12.875 inches is 327mm, close enough to 325. add 25mm of fan thickness, it makes Corsair's quoted 350mm!

This confirms that if you want to add a front rad your GPU length must be:

325, minus rad thickness, minus Xmm for clearance.

PS: I died a little inside when I saw the ruler was in inches :laughing::laughing:

Yeah ... well ... I don't think I've seen a tape measure with metric at my local Home Depot. Here in 'merica we insist on using an outdated measuring system imposed on us by the stinky redcoats that we fought a war or two to get rid of.

I have a Air 240 Running a EVGA 1080 TI Hybrid with the radiator right in front of the GPU. That is 267 mm of GPU, 45mm of clearance, 147mm of single fan/radiator combo. Since the length is the same as the 280X that should give you an idea of how much clearance you would have in a open loop system.

Archived