Corsair Community

LL120 Kit setup

itsENiGMA

Hello,

So im thinking about getting the LL120 kit with the lighting node pro & the 4 LED strips with the controller.

So it should look like this - https://ibb.co/fJ4GH6 (im only going to have 3 fans though.

So, my question is this... ive heard that without the commander pro you cannot control the rpm of the fans, so what speed they they run at? And secondly, with the setup in the picture, would it all be powered by 1 x Mainboard USB (for link control) connector and 1 x sata connector direct from the PSU?

Any help would be great, thanks :)

• Corsair Employee

Without the Commander PRO, you can still control the fan's rpm but not through our software Corsair Link. You can use a different fan hub or BIOS if you have them connected to your MB's fan headers.

Second question, answer is yes. Commander PRO is powered through SATA, the USB header is for Corsair Link interface, like you said, Link control.

Good to see my Diagrams helping!!..

Corsair Really should have this sort of thing on the web site linked from the involved items..

and indeed another good idea would be a 'Link Builder' type affair where you input what you want and it tells you what to buy and how to wire it up...

maybe.. ok maybe that's pushing it a bit far...

get some diagrams sorted though! ;):;):

sorry for being off topic OP :o:

Good to see my Diagrams helping!!..

Corsair Really should have this sort of thing on the web site linked from the involved items..

and indeed another good idea would be a 'Link Builder' type affair where you input what you want and it tells you what to buy and how to wire it up...

maybe.. ok maybe that's pushing it a bit far...

get some diagrams sorted though! ;):;):

sorry for being off topic OP :o:

Your diagram is brilliant, it couldn't be any closer to what i was looking for.

Do you know what speed the fans will run at with no control from Commander Pro? Since there is no direct PWM control from the mainboard and is only powered from the PSU, or does the USB connection somehow help?

Sorry if these questions seem obvious im just a tad puzzled, and i want to make sure i get the right things since ive got parts for a full custom loop liquid cooling ready to order and im looking at getting the i9 7900x with a new asus mobo :o merry xmas! haha :)

Without the Commander PRO, you can still control the fan's rpm but not through our software Corsair Link. You can use a different fan hub or BIOS if you have them connected to your MB's fan headers.

Second question, answer is yes. Commander PRO is powered through SATA, the USB header is for Corsair Link interface, like you said, Link control.

If you connect them to the fan headers then you wont be connected to the control box meaning you cannot control the rbg's on the fans... rendering buying them pointless surely?

Do you know what speed the fans will run at with no control from Commander Pro? Since there is no direct PWM control from the mainboard and is only powered from the PSU, or does the USB connection somehow help?

Sorry if these questions seem obvious im just a tad puzzled, and i want to make sure i get the right things since ive got parts for a full custom loop liquid cooling ready to order and im looking at getting the i9 7900x with a new asus mobo :o merry xmas! haha :)

What motherboard do you have?.. if you have no PWM headers then I assume they will be voltage controlled in bios??.. so how fast they spin is down to Bios settings and/or what you set them up like.

No Commander Pro = No control of Fan speeds in Corsair Link ;).

Personally i recommend getting the Commander Pro to 'Complete the package' giving you full control of both Rpm and Rgb in Corsair Link. aswell as 2 more internal Usb headers and 4x temp probes...

If you are getting a new Asus X299 motherboard, you'll have PWM connectors on your motherboard. The PWM control is independent from the RGB LED control. So you'll plug the PWM cables from the fans into the mobo and the RGB LED wires from the fans into the fan hub. You'll use your BIOS to control the fan speeds.

Oh ... and if I recall correctly, both the Lighting Node Pro and the RGB Fan Hub will have a SATA connection. I'm not at home by my machine so I can't pop it open but that's what I seem to recall off the top of my head.

So ... 2x SATA, 1x USB connections.

If you go with the CoPro, 3x SATA, 2x USB (but the CoPro adds 2x USB headers).

Oh ... and if I recall correctly, both the Lighting Node Pro and the RGB Fan Hub will have a SATA connection. I'm not at home by my machine so I can't pop it open but that's what I seem to recall off the top of my head.

So ... 2x SATA, 1x USB connections.

If you go with the CoPro, 3x SATA, 2x USB (but the CoPro adds 2x USB headers).

yes that's Correct Each 'Hub' needs Sata Power..

I currently have 3 pwm headers on my boards Maximus Hero VI.

To me considering the price its a bit lame to have to buy a £60 control box purely for fan speed considering everything else works fine on the hardware provided :(

Will give it some consideration as i dont want cables all over the case for chassis fan headers :)

I currently have 3 pwm headers on my boards Maximus Hero VI.

To me considering the price its a bit lame to have to buy a £60 control box purely for fan speed considering everything else works fine on the hardware provided :(

Will give it some consideration as i dont want cables all over the case for chassis fan headers :)

Well, the Commander Pro is by no means a required purchase; it's purely optional. If it has value to you ... great, go for it. If it's not worth it, you don't need it.

I, for one, actually quite like it. I like that I have very precise control over my fan speeds from within Windows. Yes, I know AISuite allows you to do this but I found AISuite ... flaky on the best of days. I also like that it has 4 independent temperature sensors that you can base fan speeds on. With a liquid cooled system, this makes sense; your CPU isn't dumping heat into the system so using it to control your fan speeds is ... pointless. And those are standard 2 wire thermistors, so you can actually use a thermistor that's inline in your custom loop to control fan speeds on your radiator via the Commander Pro. I'm not sure about the Asus board that you are going with but my Asus board only has 1 temp sensor input. I've also found the 2 additional USB ports worthwhile by themselves; Asus seems to have gotten stingy with internal USB 2.0 headers these days. The Commander Pro also acts as a Lighting Node Pro ... so you could have more bling in your system.

Last, but not least, with Link you can have multiple profiles that includes different fan settings and even different custom curves that is applied in one shot. You cannot do that with the Asus software. Period.

For me, those things listed above have value. They may ... or may not ... to you. Totally your call. But in no way do you have to get one.

Well, the Commander Pro is by no means a required purchase; it's purely optional. If it has value to you ... great, go for it. If it's not worth it, you don't need it.

I, for one, actually quite like it. I like that I have very precise control over my fan speeds from within Windows. Yes, I know AISuite allows you to do this but I found AISuite ... flaky on the best of days. I also like that it has 4 independent temperature sensors that you can base fan speeds on. With a liquid cooled system, this makes sense; your CPU isn't dumping heat into the system so using it to control your fan speeds is ... pointless. And those are standard 2 wire thermistors, so you can actually use a thermistor that's inline in your custom loop to control fan speeds on your radiator via the Commander Pro. I'm not sure about the Asus board that you are going with but my Asus board only has 1 temp sensor input. I've also found the 2 additional USB ports worthwhile by themselves; Asus seems to have gotten stingy with internal USB 2.0 headers these days. The Commander Pro also acts as a Lighting Node Pro ... so you could have more bling in your system.

Last, but not least, with Link you can have multiple profiles that includes different fan settings and even different custom curves that is applied in one shot. You cannot do that with the Asus software. Period.

For me, those things listed above have value. They may ... or may not ... to you. Totally your call. But in no way do you have to get one.

I fully appreciate the breakdown you have given me, its given me more value to its usage and something for me to think about :)

The board im getting is the ROG STRIX x299 with one of the i9 CPU's 7900x or 7920x

You won't need the Commander Pro for fan control (unless you want it). That X299 has plenty of control options. However, running Link and AI Suite at the same time can bring control complications and you probably want to choose one or the other. Since the LL fans require Link to be active and running for any sustainable light control, that makes the choice for you. Don't feel bad about it. AI Suite makes for a terrible hardware monitor, you should not use it to overclock, and its value as a desktop fan control package is somewhat diminished by better BIOS fan controls on that model. So again, if you want desktop software control for the fans, we are recommending you use the Commander Pro. It solves multiple needs.

To that end, if you buy a Commander Pro, you no longer need the lighting node pro. You'll need to work out the price totals by package for your market, but you can buy the LL series without the LNP as singles vs. the triple or double pack. Neither LL triple or C-Pro come with LED strips, but there is a strip only package available. Frankly I prefer that one because it has the included extensions and it makes installation a 2 minute affair. Since you are looking at big boards and CPUs, I suspect this is not for a ITX buidl and those extensions are useful.

The C-Pro + LED Strip package was the way I went and I felt it had more utility over the basic LNP package for a small amount more. The extra thermal probes may have some use (4 total). I think the Strix x299 has just the one.

Archived