Corsair Community

Corsair 650D, what's the side window made of ?

The Joshua Tree

Iv'e just installed some RGB LED lighting into my Corsair 650D, the lighting has shown up the window as being heavily scratched. This is how it must of came from the factory as ive never touched the window with any cleaning products both inside or out.

What is the side window made of, is it acrylic, plexi-glass or perspex ?

Any ideas on how to remove the scratches if possible ?

Thanks

Here is a pic of what it looks like under lighting, really bad scratches and hazy lines.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/wires4eva/650D-Window1.jpg

What is the side window made of, is it acrylic, plexi-glass or perspex ?

Thanks

Plex-glass and Perspex are both brand/trade names for acrylic, (methyl methacrylate)

My belief is that it's cast acrylic. (I own the case, but don't have authoritative knowledge of it's composition.)

Was the case purchased new? Didn't it have protective plastic covering it?

If the case is under warranty put in a ticket and I sure Corsair will try to replace it if they have spares.

If not, it would be easy to replace it with polycarbonate, (Lexan.) It a little more expensive than Plexiglass, but easier to machine, (i.e., cut and drill), without shattering . The windows is held on with screws, so it would be easy remove. You can use it as a template to mark the holes for the new sheet. You'll need some spacers to make up thinner material, but small washers or tubing would work.

Not to sound insulting, but that's not the protective plastic on the inside, is it?

I'll ignore that.

What you see in the pic is how the window is under lighting, full of fine scratches. You don't see it so much when the lights are off which is why i havn't noticed it before, the lighting highlights how poor it is. It's not the sort of look i'm after, its not the sort of look you should receive either.

The case itself is great, great build quality apart from this window. It's not the first time ive had an issue with a window on this case, the first one was warped inwards which left gaps between the seal and the window.

If that's how it shipped to you, definitely get in touch with customer service. If not, well, we might be able to replace it anyhow or at least sell you a replacement.

Thanks Dustin, i didn't spot your reply earlier. I took your advice and contacted customer service, yes that's how it shipped, ironically this scratched and hazy window was an RMA replacement for my original one which arrived pretty badly warped. The fine scratching and haze isn't something you would spot straight away as it only shows up under lighting and ive only just installed some lighting inside my case, hopefully 3rd time lucky.

They seem to ship the entire side panel rather than just the window, that's what they did last time. I've pointed out to customer service that i only need the window, it would save on shipping costs as its obviously a lot smaller.

Archived