Corsair Community

Ask about differences between watercooling Platinum and "normal" PRO versions

Carovie

Hello

I just was going to buy a Corsair watercooling, exactly I was thinking in H150i PRO and now I see the Platinum models in watercooling and I have some doubts

My question is, Could you please tell me the differences between the new Hydro Series RGB Platinum like H115i and H100i from the previous and normal versions H100i and H115i PRO?

Whats is the improvement and the difference between the new RGB Platinum models and the "old" normal PRO models?

Do you know if H150i PRO will have a Platinum version soon?

This is important for me to wait for this Platinum version (only if this version really improves in some way the PRO version) or buy now the PRO version

Really thank you very much for your help

The Platinum coolers have a different pump head and cold plate that is a bit more efficient than the one on the Pro coolers. They have better lighting effects, come with RGB fans and can also control the RGB effects of two fans.

They also come with a special edition of the ML-RGB fans that are higher speed than the typical ML-RGB fans.

There is no word of a 360mm version (H150i Platinum) .

everything clear, really thank you very much for your answer and your help, DevBiker

In this moment I am in the situation of decide what watercooling to buy, and next week I was going to buy the H150i, but after today that I discovered these new Platinum versions, I have some doubts because I think in some time, the 360mm Platinum version of the watercooling will be released, and I think I will wait a bit just in case

Thanks again DevBiker

I mean that in the situation I am that I need to buy a new watercooling, I think it is much more recommendable to go for a Platinum version better than a normal version.

About the pump I don't know what improvements has but only checking the features of the fans, the Platinum versions fans, seem much more powerful in everything (in noise too) than the ML normal versions

In ilumination system, I suppose these new version of ML fans be the same than the normal ML model and ilumination doesnot change anything between both ML models

There are some differences between the coolers and they are manufactured by different OEM partners. Some people have strong feelings for one company or another because of past experiences. I don't think you should let that influence you at this point.

1) The ML fans on the Platinum are RGB and have a higher top speed (~2000 rpm). Aside from that, it is the same blade and thus the fans on both coolers will provide identical performance at 400-1200 rpm. The higher speed fans can only provide a benefit if you intend to regularly run them above 1400 rpm and even then it may not matter with airflow not being the limiting factor. Even when I had two ML-PRO series on my 280mm radiators, I almost never ran them past 1100. That is where it starts to get a bit loud and the cooling benefits become very small.

2) The Platinum fans are ML-RGB 2000 rpm. You are paying more for them. This only helps if you decide to get ML fans for the rest of the case. While the Platinum offers you the capability of running ML-RGB from the pump controller and the rest of the case from the C-Pro/LNP controller, most people are going to be better served going with one fan type.

3) The base ML-quiet fans on the PRO series coolers are not RGB. However, the price is much lower to compensate.

4) The pump LED lighting is definitely improved on the Platinum, but it is a rather small detail in the grand scope of your lighting. The fans will be the dominant lighting source. This is something you need to decide for yourself.

5) The cold plate is a bit different or at least larger on the Platinum. It appears to be 1-2C cooler in terms of direct conductivity, not coolant temperature. While 2C cooler is always better, it may not be worth it in comparison to other things.

6) The Pro series coolers have a very "quiet" pump speed option at 1100 rpm. I don't like it and don't use it, but if you really need zero noise on the desktop or are very particular about this kind of thing, 1100 is lot quieter than 2400 rpm on anything else. I think it is fair to consider the Pro version a quiet option and the Platinum the high performance version for those looking for any advantage possible.

Really really great explanation about the differences of the two models of watercooling c-attack, thank you very much again, more clear is impossible, explaining me point by point the differences between the two models of watercooling, pump and fans, performance and ilumination

I try to write my situation here, for you can know and tell me please, in your opinion which is the best option for me to do (excuse for my english)

Nowadays, I don't have anything bought, I mean, I am planning to buy a new PC component by component and I had the idea of buy the H150i, but after buy this, for I could have RGB ilumination in the fans, I would have to replace the three fans of the H150i, buying another three 120 fans with RGB ilumination (this is what I asking in another thread), and besides this, I would have to buy three 140 RGB fans for the case

Now, after to know about these new Platinum models of some watercoolings, my thought changed and I am thinking the new possibilitie of wait for a possible Platinum version of the H150i watercooling and to buy this possible new version instead of the normal H150i.

In this case I only would have to buy the three 140 fans for the case (true is that I would be limited to buy ML fans for the case to be the same model than the fans of the Platinum watercooling) but in this case, I would save the money of the three 120 fans although this Platinum watercooling is a bit more expensive than the normal model but I think is a bit better

What do you think is the best to do for me and what would you do in my situation, not having bought anything and checking all posibilities after I wrote?

Really thanks for all your help and advices

If you allow me, I would like to add one question to the last message

This is a question totally technique about the pump of the Platinum watercoolings, and it isnot about what decision is the best for me to buy like my last message

Telling to a friend all the comments and infos you wrote me over here about the Platinum watercooling, he has a main question that I hope you know the answer. Excuse for my enligh again:

Is it possible to down the 2400 rpm of the pump (Platinum model) to don't have much noise?

Thanks for your help again

If you allow me, I would like to add one question to the last message

This is a question totally technique about the pump of the Platinum watercoolings, and it isnot about what decision is the best for me to buy like my last message

Telling to a friend all the comments and infos you wrote me over here about the Platinum watercooling, he has a main question that I hope you know the answer. Excuse for my enligh again:

Is it possible to down the 2400 rpm of the pump (Platinum model) to don't have much noise?

Thanks for your help again

There are only 2 modes available (in iCUE) for the pump

"Quiet" - ~2500 RPM

"Extreme" - ~3000RPM

So the minimum is 2500RPM

This is based on my H115i Platinum using iCUE.

thanks for your reply and help, do you think this could be a problem with the noise of the pump in Platinum versions?

No, just based on the Kraken X62 I have in the same case, that has similar pump speeds and only when flat out can you hear the faintest fan like noise which is very tolerable.

My H115i Platinum has a definite 'hum' that couples through the case somehow such that it's very audible from 1M away (my sitting distance).

thanks for your reply to both

Excuse me snubbers, but I didnot understand well your message, mainly because I don't understand english perfectly, above all technical words

Do you mean that in the Platinum model, the pump working at the minimum rpm possible (2500), don't make too much noise?

yes c-attack, understood with the fans, thanks, I wpould like to know about the sound of the pump too

In your opinion, checking my situation that I don't have anything bought, do you thin it would be best for me to go for the Platinum version (and buy 3 ML fans later for the case to be the same model than the fans of the watercooling) or go for the normal version of the watercooling and buy 6 RGB fans later (3 for the watercooling and 3 for the case)?

I don't now what to do deciding between the two models and options

thanks for your reply to both

Excuse me snubbers, but I didnot understand well your message, mainly because I don't understand english perfectly, above all technical words

Do you mean that in the Platinum model, the pump working at the minimum rpm possible (2500), don't make too much noise?

:( At minimum 2500RPM the H115i Platinum pump is noisy for me.

I will hopefully get a new one next week to try to see if mine was faulty.

understood, thanks again for your reply snubbers. I will wait for your news next week with the new pump, to read you if still it is so noisy the new. Then everything will be clear and this will worry me a bit, because I like the Platinum watercooling, but I dont like if it makes a lot of more noise than the normal version

excuse me DevBiker, could you please explain slowly and with easy words, for somebody like me that don't understand perfectly english, what you mean with the comment "The Platinum coolers have a hardware mode for the lighting. "?

The fans and the ilumination are not controlled just the same than the normal versions of coolers? I mean Commander, iCUE....?

At the present time, most of the RGB gear (including fans, keyboards, mice, pump LEDs) require the iCUE software to be running in the background to control the lighting patterns. If you quit iCUE, the devices all revert to a "spiral rainbow" pattern. So, you must run the software to make it do what you want.

The new Platinum coolers have their own internal RGB controller, unlike the other devices. This allows them to continue the programmed lighting pattern for the cooler and its two fans, even when iCUE is not running. However, this still won't help the other 3 case fans, your keyboard, etc. and thus it may not be that helpful. If you are only buying a cooler and don't have a lot of other internal RGB devices, the Platinum is the one to get for sure. However, the advantage is a little bit more dubious if you intend to combine with other RGB products. So while interesting, my two radiator fans would keep their lighting, while the other 3 case fans would go into rainbow mode on iCUe exit, reboot, lock screen, etc.

Well, it does not continue the iCue lighting. There is a separate tab to set the more limited hardware lighting mode. This takes over when the workstation is locked or when iCue isn't running. This is instead of the current default rainbow mode (though that is the default setting)

perfectly understood already, thanks for your explanations c-attack and DevBiker

Besides these Platinum coolers, exists any other component or device of Corsair, "smart" to remember the RGB ilumination when iCUE is not running, just like these two Platinum coolers?

And when iCUE is running, can you control, configure and synchronize these Platinum coolers with the rest of the elements and components Corsair, that are "normal"? I mean, when iCUE is running, these Platinum coolers have a normal behaviour just the same of the other components?

Thanks again for your help

Outside of the Platinum coolers, no other device has "hardware lighting mode". It's something that's been talked about for a while but there's no ETA on this yet.

And while iCue is running, they can be configured and synchronized with the rest of your iCue based lighting.

Archived