Corsair Community

HX850 Issues

Viking2121

Hey everyone, This might be a long post.

I was in a pinch the other day when my aunt's system PSU throw out a lot of sparks and melted a yellow wire on the CPU 8pin power on an EVGA 500B PSU. I thought for sure it took out the motherboard and maybe another component, I have a 10 year old Antec Tru power 430watt PSU and I hooked it up and the system booted and worked just fine so I immediately ruled out the PSU was the only thing damaged.

I went to MicroCenter and I stubbled crossed a Recertified Corsair HX850 for $69.99.

I bought it and Took it home everything seemed fine, I installed into her system (specs below) and it all booted and worked great other than the annoying coil whine under load but it didn't bother her any so I left it.

She wakes me up during the day (I work the grave yard shift) and says her game was causing her PC to black screen, I took a look at it and I ran Prime95, and Heaven benchmark and it did just fine for over an hour and a half. Her game she plays all the time is Sims 4 and having that open with no load at all really on the CPU the PC will black screen and restarts, it could be 5 min into the game, could be 3 hours into the game, but it will eventually do it.

Been going on for a month and half after I've replaced the CPU cooler as the CPU was running around 85C full load, I updated the bios, I've bought a Recertified GTX770, changed out RAM and was about to go find a new Motherboard before I said lets try the PSU.

It was too late to return the PSU to MicroCenter, So I bought a Recertified Corsair CX850M and the system has been 100% stable for over a week with her Sims 4 running 24/7 and the overclock on the CPU and GPU.

CPU: i7 3770s 4.2ghz 4.3ghz turbo (Hyper 212 Evo cooler) Was the H80I v2

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz (was 16GB of Corsair Vengence 1600mhz

MOBO: Asus P8z77-v Latest bios

GPU: GTX770 Reference (Was a EVGA GTX670)

HDD/SSD: 1x SSD, 2x HDD's, and a CD/DVD Burner

ADDIN Cards: 1x USB 3.0 card

Now that her system now with the CX850m and was not stable with the HX850.

The weird part is I wanted to verify the PSU was the cause so I installed it into my old AMD FX8320 system and various video cards and I could not get it to crash or show signs of lack of power. The AMD system draws nearly twice the amount of power than the Intel system.

As far as I know it's completely stable on this AMD system.

CPU: AMD FX8320 4.7ghz

RAM: 8GB EVGA 1866mhz

MOBO: ASRock 990fx Fatality Pro

GPU: I tried these cards GTX580 3GB, GTX670, GTX690 HD5870, HD6990 HD7950

Now all these cards the PSU had no issues what so ever other than the GTX580 artifacting in a few things, even in Sims 4 and every other GPU benchmark I tried it on it did fine. Should I try for an RMA, I mean it works on my AMD system, but I already have a PSU in that system so the HX really isn't doing much right now.

Thanks!

Hi. By the things you write i can assume that the 1st psu that burned may damaged some of the parts you change. Either the ram (16GB of Corsair Vengence 1600mhz) or gpu (EVGA GTX670) or the H80I v2 was not installed correct or the thermal paste wanted a replacement because with that cpu cooler you mustn't have 85C on full load.

Archived