Corsair Community

Corsair Lighting Node Pro cable issue

gergeoux

So hello, long time lurker here. I am facing a really stupid issue, hope someone could help me with this. I have 3x HD140 and 2x HD120 fans in my case. Using them with the button controller with no problems so far.

Found out I could connect them to the Corsair LINK, which I have already using for quite long time, because I have the Corsair H115i AIO.

I didn't wanted any RGB LED strips in my case nor the beautiful but ever so slightly lower performance LL140 fans. The HD140's have 74 CFM fan airflow, the LL140's have 51.5 CFM airflow. Since I am using them on the H115i AIO's radiator and even the HD140's were a bit of a downgrade from the stock fans' 104 CFM airflow, I didn't want to hurt the cooling performance even more by using less powerful fans. So I went ahead to search for a Node Pro second hand. That's where all went south.

Buddy of mine has the Dominator Airflow Platinum LED fan for memory modules. He didn't wanted his Node Pro, so I bought it off of him. It was a bit pricey, but what the heck, it will look good. I will be able to finally control the fans from a software.

Problem is, the cable Corsair included with that particular Node Pro designed for this RAM cooler has different ends: one "male" and one "female" end. The cable to connect the HD fans' control hub and the Node Pro would require a "female" - "female" cable.

Cable I got:

553j6gh.jpg

Cable I need:

sbVMGRY.jpg

So, the question is, how can I buy this cable? Already raised a ticket at Corsair Support, but I don't have high hopes for this. In a different thread I read about Dupont 3pin cables that supposedly do the same and they came in "female" - "female" and cost like 1 buck for 10 pieces. But I am afraid to use one of those cables. Really don't want to set my PC on fire.

Another idea came to mind: I have the button controller for the HD fans if I could strip the cables, then strip the cables on the Node Pro's cable, then connect them together I would have the cable I need. But first, I am not qualified to do this, second I am not sure in the wiring.

I would like to solve this issue without buying new, unnecessary stuff (for me at least), such as a standalone Node Pro with RGB LED strips or the LL140/ML140 combo packs which come with a Node Pro and the correct cable. These fans and the Node Pro already cost me around 250 USD, and I am completely happy with them, except the lack of software control.

Any help appreciated.

You actually need a cable with 2 wires but a 3-pin connector.

The jumper cables will work. As long as they are 24AWG, they will handle the current. Pin 1 should be missing; this is the +5V line and isn't required.

Alternatively, you can build your own cables. The parts for that are inexpensive enough but it does require specialized tools. See the link in my signature for more details.

Hello DevBiker, thank you for the insight. Today actually convinced myself to buy a dual pack of LL140's, I plan to use them as case fans, not on the radiator. Here is my plan.

If I understand correctly, I will not be able to connect the HD and LL fans to the same fan control hub. No problem, I will have a second fan control hub for the LL140's. But I will have only one cable to connect two fan control hubs to the Node Pro.

This post states the HD fans have hardware playback: "Hardware Playback Enabled, Will continue to display Custom Profiles when iCue/LINK isn't Running."

My idea is:

1. Connect the HD fans' fan control hub to the Node Pro, set up my light pattern in LINK/iCUE
  2. Disconnect the Node Pro from the HD fans' fan control hub, while the fans themselves stay connected to their hub
  3. Connect the LL fans' own fan control hub to the Node Pro
  4. Set up the light pattern for the LL fans in LINK/iCUE
  5. Profit?

Please tell me that the HD fans will remember their setup this way.

Only in Link. iCue doesn't have full hardware playback for RGB effects yet. It's in the plan but not implemented yet.

That said ... you can connect HD and LL fans to the same hub. They use the same protocol and LED. You would configure it for the number of lights. For example, 4 HD fans and 2 LL fans would be a total of 70 LEDs. You could configure it as 5 LL fans. The downside to this, however, is that the lighting effects won't necessarily look correct. The software doesn't support multiple fan types on the same hub. (Note that you cannot do this with the SP fans; they use a different LED and control protocol.)

Only in Link. iCue doesn't have full hardware playback for RGB effects yet. It's in the plan but not implemented yet.

That said ... you can connect HD and LL fans to the same hub. They use the same protocol and LED. You would configure it for the number of lights. For example, 4 HD fans and 2 LL fans would be a total of 70 LEDs. You could configure it as 5 LL fans. The downside to this, however, is that the lighting effects won't necessarily look correct. The software doesn't support multiple fan types on the same hub. (Note that you cannot do this with the SP fans; they use a different LED and control protocol.)

Oh, that's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Then I will simply connect all my fans (2xHD120, 2xHD140, 2xLL140, and I ditch one HD120 sadly) to the same fan control hub and I am set.

Man, I am pumped for tomorrow. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Dit it work connecting the 2 types of fans to the same rgb control hub??

It works. I have my system configured this way right now. It does not, however, work with the SP fans at all - they don't play nice with the other fans in the Corsair RGB Family.

You cannot, however, configure them as multiple fan types on a single channel so you have to "fake" it based on a count of LEDs. And the effects may not play across the fans properly. And it's not officially supported. So ... many caveats with that.

Ty very much Bro for the info, I’ll connect my 2 HD120 and 2 LL140 to the san hub, do you know what’s the 3 pin cable model so perhaps I cían found it on amazon or eBay ? Another silly question mate, can you turn off the light with the Corsair link in all your fans right ?

Take a look in my signature for "Making/Repairing RGB Cables". All the details are there. If you are looking for the cable to connect a Lighting Node Pro to a Fan Hub, that's 2 wires, 3 pins with pin 1 missing a wire.

You also get one with the fan multipacks as well as 2 in the Commander Pro.

And you can easily turn off lighting in iCue using the "Instant Lighting" function. However, when you lock the machine, it's still all rainbows. :(

It's this one:

Fan Hub Connector

*Note: Only connect pins 2 & 3. Pin 1 should be disconnected. Pin 1 is marked on the female socket connector with an arrow

No code has to be inserted here.

Alternatively, you can use two jumper cables (like those used for an Arduino or RaspPi) but you won't have the lock and need to be really careful to get them correct.

Archived