Corsair Community

Sleeving part of Non-modular PSU

Belial88

I would like to sleeve part of my PSU. I've searched on this, don't get on me, I've read the 'modular is okay, non-modular is not' stuff.

My question is about sleeving the main cables on a non-modular PSU, my CX500 - the 24 pin, 8 pin cpu, and 2 x pci-e cables - but only part of it.

As in I'd cut off the heatshrink, but leave the original sleeving on, and then paracord wrap just the ends, and then put some heatshrink back (or tape, or whatever).

The idea would be to sleeve the ends of the psu cables, the visible parts, but maintain warranty and maintain the black sleeve at the base of the PSU (I don't want a big blue and white bulge at the bottom of the case where the PSUs snake from the PSU to behind the motherboard panel).

I've read about opening up the PSU is bad, modifying main cables is bad, but I've also read conflicting stuf about it's okay to modify the sleeving, cut off heatshrink.

Thanks. Basically I just want to sleeve the last 6-8 inches of the main cables only, which would just mean I'd have to cut off the original heatshrink but otherwise do nothing else to affect the PSU. Or I can even leave the heatshrink intact if it was necessary to maintain warranty.

I'm aware that extensions would be a way around this, but extensions are expensive and I don't think I can manage to fit in so many extensions.

So... would it be okay for me to do this? I'm trying to get the paracord and sleeving done soon but I'm waiting on word on this. I don't plan to open up the PSU, I'm just cutting off the heatshrink at the end and putting in a few inches of paracord so as to make it to behind the motherboard, and then wrap it up with a cable tie or whatever to make it taught.

On the 24pin, 2x 6 pins, and cpu pin.

• Corsair Employee
My question is about sleeving the main cables on a non-modular PSU, my CX500 - the 24 pin, 8 pin cpu, and 2 x pci-e cables - but only part of it.

As in I'd cut off the heatshrink, but leave the original sleeving on, and then paracord wrap just the ends, and then put some heatshrink back (or tape, or whatever).

I am sorry but this will automatically void your warranty. If you modify any of the cables that are permanently attached to the PSU, it voids the PSU's warranty.

Archived