Corsair Community

GS 800 strange noise

Maxence

Hello everyone,

First i want to apologise for my english that is not so good, i hope you'll understand me :)

Since last week, i've made an new computer, and i've chose a corsair gs 800 in it. But since the begining, i experience strange noises.

I've investigated on the web, and i've read that a lot of people have this "problem". I know the gs 800 fan is not always spinning when the charge is not high enough and so on.

When i'm in game, every 10 minutes or less, i hear a buzzing noise exaclty like this one in the video :

The fan is really silent when working, but when he suddenly stop it makes this noise.

So i'd like to know if this is normal, since some personn told me it's normal and some others say it the gs 800 has to be changed because of that noise. Other people with the gs 800 has this annoying noise? Should i contact the shop where i bought the gs 800 or not ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but this is not uncommon when the fan controller turns on/off the fan for it to make a slight clicking sound. If its so loud that you can hear it over the other fans in the system then you can request an RMA and we can try and replace it.

Thanks for your answer Ram Guy.

Well, the noise made by the gs 800 is louder than the sound made by the other fans... But if this is normal, i can deal with it as long as i'm sure that the gs 800 is working correctly and won't damage the rest of the computer :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RAM Guy again.

Since the last time, i've contacted the shop where i bought the PSU, i told them it's making noise. They needed to check it themselves, kept the PC one week and finally told me : we don't hear anything. But the noise is there exactly like in this video :

and it is clearly louder then the fan of the rest of the system. So i'm maybe planning to make a video of it.

The problem is that the shop has a 11 months garantee on the psu and they ahve to replace it but since they don't (want to) hear anything i'm kinda lost.

The noise is still here, and every 5/10 minutes i hear the strange buzzing noise when the psu fan stops.

So since i can not stay too long pc-less, i still not sure to keep that noisy psu or try one more to exchange it on shop or here maybe with a rma... Thanks in advance for help

• Corsair Employee
On average International RMA's take 8-15 days, but if you have not had the unit that long you can ask the reseller if they can check and or replace it if they are local to you that may be quicker. Or you can get the RMA with us directly then once you have the RMA conformation you can call our customer service by phone and request an advanced RMA by using SKYPE and call the toll free number posted under Contact on our web site. That would limit your down time to a few days rather than a few weeks.

Thanks again RAM Guy.

Well, I've been to the reseller and they told me "we don't hear any noise from the psu" and they don't want to change it, i even had to pay them for testing the psu...

I guess they must have some ears troubles...

Anyway, if you're sure that i will have a psu that don't have this noise symptoms that i've seen a lot in here, i will probably go on RMA, but if it's not sure that the psu will not make that strange noise i ll maybe keep it like this. But it's strange i had the exact same psu on my previous computer and it was silent, i was really happy with it since i bought exactly the same gs 800 for my new build.

• Corsair Employee

Yes it is a common complaint with these new PSU's but it is not really a failure just the way it works. This post from another thread explains the issue in simple terms. But yes if you feel its to loud then by all means please request the RMA and post your case number I will ask our customer service to take care of you.

NP the newer PSU's support Fan-less operation and the Fan will turn on and off as needed to keep the Internal components bellow about 49 Deg C and when the controller turns on and off it is not uncommon to hear a slight ticking or low sequel from the fan. If you put more load on your system IE adding another Graphics card in SLI for example it will likely keep the load on the PSU high enough the fan will stay running longer and you wont notice it so much.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I know I'm late but I just wanted to say I just bought the GS800 power supply to replace a Dynex 520W powersupply that failed on me. Right after installing it I ran good for awhile and then I started to get the same noises described here. I noticed that the PSU wouldn't make noise when the fan was spinning; but it would make a lot of noise when it was starting and stopping. I took someones advice about going into my BIOS and turning off my energy saving feature *it was on for some reason* and that has seemed to get rid of my noise for now.

Archived