Corsair Community

LL series fan flicker issue

Aliti_308

Hi,

I understand that the latest iCue causes flickering issues on ll series fans upon exiting sleep mode on your PC as I too have experienced it. However, I deleted iCue for now until this issue gets fixed.

I still have Corsair Link installed, the latest version installed, which I don't run in the background either so the fans are on rainbow spiral (default) but I have just noticed my RGB rainbow affect flicker whilst gaming (also on desktop) which seems to happen every 5 to 10 minutes as a one off example. It is a one off flicker between colours, i.e the purple to red transition, it doesn't flicker like the known issue, white to a random colour, in the example I caught on video was purple/red. After recording the issue I found my last ll 140mm exhaust fan is triggering this.

It takes time to reproduce. I'm wondering if this is being caused by left over iCue data. Thoughts?

Perhaps it is a faulty fan or lightning node pro? Since this last example I have pulled the #4 fan from the lighting node pro and put it back in. So far its been OK but it may trigger again by the time I finish typing this.

Any thoughts on this? Suggestions to test?

Thanks

Try forcing an update to the NoPro's firmware.

And please fill out your system info, including all Corsair stuff you have. It's enormously helpful and can take out a lot of guesswork.

The specs have been added. I can try the force update which I'll do tonight.

In the meantime, please see attached video of the example. It will be the fan closest to the H150i cooler. It happens at the 10 second mark, on red to purple transition.

Just note, after reviewing the video it does NOT actually look all that bad in it BUT during use of the PC in a dark room, it is extremely visible when the reflected light across the desk and wall flicker. This was not an issue prior to installing iCUE.

NOTE: I should also mention that the H150i fans are connected on the CPU header, 3x 140mm ll fans are connected to the PWM fan hub on the case which then goes to CPU_OPT, 1x ll fan (the flickering fan) is connected directly to the chassis fan #2 via PWM . There is an NZXT USB hub in here too, which if memory serves me right, has the RM850i PSU, Lightning pro USB header and case USB 2.0 header connected to it.

Also, Asus Aura is not enabled. Let me know if you need more info!

[ame]

[/ame]

Yeah, I can see a very brief flicker. Those fans are gorgeous in person but don't do pictures or videos very well, do they?

At this point, I think it's a case of the known issue. It recently occurred to me that I've not seen it because all of my LL fans are on my Commander Pro so I've not seen the issue. I do know that they've been working on this.

Yeah, I can see a very brief flicker. Those fans are gorgeous in person but don't do pictures or videos very well, do they?

At this point, I think it's a case of the known issue. It recently occurred to me that I've not seen it because all of my LL fans are on my Commander Pro so I've not seen the issue. I do know that they've been working on this.

Yeah on the latest iCue version the known flicker issue I'm aware of. This one differs from that though to some degree. It could very well be some sort of delay triggering this or communication issue due to the last fan being connected to the chassis fan header instead.

After starting this thread, I did unplug fan #4 from the lightning node pro. After 20 minutes of game play it didn't flicker so perhaps it's gone for good. I'll know more tonight when I have another gaming session.

It could also be some sort of registry issue with the once installed iCue? Is there a completely nice way to remove iCue or is the usual uninstall via control panel along with all settings option good enough?

If you uninstall and delete all user content, it should all go away.

Regardless, lighting issues aren't going to be caused by the registry or anything in there. Link and iCue have completely different sets of registry keys and Link only looks at one iCue registry key (that tells it what devices iCue will "own").

• 3 weeks later...

So this flicker I got with iCue seems to have become a bigger problem now. I don't have iCue installed at the moment, my 4th LL fan still flickers as per video above every so often but I just caught that 4th fan getting stuck on 2 colours during rainbow wave channel effect, and then half of it went off and the other half had colour....

Do you think this is faulty or some potential glitch?

I have since swapped the PWM (but not the RGB connection to the Nopro which I will next time) from the chassis fan to the case hub PWM with another fan and I'm awaiting for it to glitch on me again. If you think it is worth returning than I may just do that.

EDIT: flipping between Corsair Link on and off...then flipping between each effect I can't reproduce it. UGH!!

Although I really don't expect the PWM to CHA fan 2 to be causing this glitch, I expect the Nopro to be faulty here or the 4th LL fan. Not sure what I should do. Currently it is working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

OK so I picked up a Commander Pro and swapped the node pro out... the flicker issue is still here. After rearranging my fans so the flickering Fan 4 is now fan 1, I ran into a bigger issue as mentioned earlier. Fans 3 and 4 now flicker and it is more intense yet still random. The problem mainly occurs in rainbow wave mode but have rarely seen it in static colour mode.

I have a better understanding on what is going on after the rearrangement. As mention fan 4 is now fan 1 and fan 3 is now fan 2 (both fans are from the 2 pack and lighting node model). This is the catch.

This arrangement now points the issue to fan 2 causing issues to fan 3 and 4. (bare with me). But before the move, fan 3 was causing the flickering on fan 4.

I used iCue to select RGB on, on fan 2 3 and 4 only. Fan 3 and 4 flicker. I tried RGB set as on, on fan 2 and 3 only... fan 3 flickers. I set RGB on fan 1 and 2 only and no fans flicker.

This leads me to believe fan 2 is the actual issue here causing the next fans in the link to flicker. If I set fan 2(the problem fan) as fan 4 I bet the chain will not flicker at all as witnessed with fans 1 and 2 on only.

Do you guys suggest an RMA here or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of?

Cheers.

Validate that if you set fan 2 to fan 4, the flicker disappears.

If this holds true (and your logic is good), then it's definitely that fan.

An RMA is up to you but it would be an option.

Yeah I figured it could stop me from going through the RMAing process which I have never done and involves waiting weeks but that would mean the defective fan remains with me. I'll flip them over in a while and report back.

UPDATE 2:

Well there you go... it's now fan 4.... not a single flicker.... I guess the last fan in the queue has its data reset so it never passes it on to fan 1. Ugh...

I have started the RMA ticket already though... I'll see how it goes, I might cave in and RMA. Thanks for your help!

3.5 is going to be pushed out in a week or so. So if you want to wait a bit before RMAing the fans. Might save you some time and money.

I don’t think 3.5 will sort out this issue. It appears to be an issue limited to one fan.

the best and only way to fix the LL flicker bug is to turn off fast startup on windows 10 it worked for me as well as fixing issues i was having with asus aura freezing up .

https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

This flicker issue is unrelated to the start up issue everyone is facing. I too faced the flicker problem waking the PC up from sleep and can verify that the disabling of fast boot work around does work but this issue is limited to one fan affecting the subsequent fans after it. It looks like a data out issue.

Hi my first post in here but I would just like to mention that I also have this flickering issue on steroids. Could not solve the issue with Corsair support back in April, their only solution was going back to the Link software.

I have myself 2 LL140 fans connected to a Lightning Node Pro and a k95 RGB platinum keyboard, the keyboard works fine. It seems to constantly switch between my set profile and the default rainbow RGB setting. The Link software works fine but having 2 sets of software for 2 corsair products seem silly.

iCue version: 3.4.95

Lightning Node Pro firmware version: v.0.05.104

Video of the issue:

[ame]

[/ame]

I've tried reinstalling, clean uninstall, re-updating firmware.

EDIT, just saw the 3.5 update, testing it out now

• Corsair Employee
Hi my first post in here but I would just like to mention that I also have this flickering issue on steroids. Could not solve the issue with Corsair support back in April, their only solution was going back to the Link software.

I have myself 2 LL140 fans connected to a Lightning Node Pro and a k95 RGB platinum keyboard, the keyboard works fine. It seems to constantly switch between my set profile and the default rainbow RGB setting. The Link software works fine but having 2 sets of software for 2 corsair products seem silly.

iCue version: 3.4.95

Lightning Node Pro firmware version: v.0.05.104

Video of the issue:

I've tried reinstalling, clean uninstall, re-updating firmware.

EDIT, just saw the 3.5 update, testing it out now

What product are you using LINK for?

What product are you using LINK for?

I tried LINK for the fans to rule out a hardware issue(I thought that would be obvious as LINK would not do anything to the keyboard and I mentioned I was trying to prevent having 2 pieces of software for my 2 Corsair products) and it worked fine using LINK. The flicking only occurs using iCue, although I still need to test it with the latest version you just released.

That is the old LL series flicker issue. The new update should have resolved that.

Alternatively you could disable fast boot in your power options which also handles a fix for that on the old version of iCue.

This issue is unrelated to the issue I faced.

Archived