Corsair Community

AX850 relay noise

CrsR

Hey guys,

I just upgraded from my old HX850 to an AX850, overall very nice unit but I just have a couple of questions.

When I power on the computer I can hear a click come from the PSU before the system starts and then the same click just before the computer powers off. Sounds very much like a switch being turned on and off.

I believe there is a relay switch in this unit, is this the noise I am hearing? and is it normal? I've never heard a PSU do this before.

Also when everything is up and running and I place my ear close to the unit I can hear an electrical buzz, it is not noticeable unless I am close enough so is not real problem but I am wondering if I should be concerned or this will effect the PSU over time in any adverse way?

Apologies if these have been answered already, I emailed corsair support about the click noise but haven't heard back from them.

Thanks for your help.

My new AX850 exhibit the exact same behavior. It's probably normal for this kind of powersupply but we will see what an official rep says.

Edit:

1. I contacted the retailer and they said that it's normal to hear a click when it's powered off but that they never heard of anyone having a Psu that clicked when it was turned on. However they didn't think it was anything to worry about and since it's under a 7 year warranty I'm not really worried. Only thing would be if it died and took with it my new Gtx 580, but seeing that it should have protection for such events I feel fairly safe.

2. I noticed today that the click sound is actually sounding less audible maybe it's just the fan making a quick grind against something?

H.Andersson

• Corsair Employee
The noises you are hearing are normal, the AX series use slightly different components than the HX to acheive higher efficiency. The noise would not indicate anything wrong with the PSU or any increased chance of failure.

Archived