Corsair Community

Corsair AX850 Issue

Stormquist

Hi,

I've been googling for the past hour and found a couple of threads that pertain to the issue that I've been experiencing starting today.

My AX850 (New as of last week) has been performing great for the time I've used it, but as of today something odd happened.

I turned on the computer to continue work on a schoolpaper and within a couple of minutes it shut off without warning, it immediately rebooted without me touching anything. However, within a minute it happened again and then it got stuck in a loop of instant re-starts. I physically turned it off using the button on the case.

I opened up the case since I suspected an issue, checked all the cables and that nothing that could make a short was touching anything. Everything was a s dandy as the days before so I tried starting up the computer again.

Within minutes it happened again so instead of letting it re-start at all I turned it off again and went in for a closer examination.

The fan on the AX850 is not spinning at all, normally it would have started for a few seconds and then shut off until needed, but it is not doing it's normal spinup routine during startup or at any point there after.

Am I the proud owner of a faulty unit?

I should note that this is a computer built by me (6th) and not one done by a store so I'm fairly experienced, though not an expert.

English is not my mothertongue so I hope I explained everything properly, please do ask if anything is unclear.

Thank you for any help in the matter :)

System specifications:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Lite-On DVD/Blu-Ray Reader

********® Desktop Green 1TB

******** 120GB ********3 SSD

Fractal Design Define R4

******** DDR3 ******** 1600MHz 16GB

Intel® Core i7-3820 Processor Socket-LGA2011

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, Socket-2011

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB

Corsair AX 850W PSU 80 Plus Gold

Corsair H100 Hydro Series

PS- I mounted the fan facing down as the case I used has a dust filter underneath to prevent it acting like a vacuum cleaner.

PPS- GF does the latter.

PPPS- The forum seems to block out certain brand names, let me know if they're needed at all. Help me solve this and I'll get more Corsair ;)

Sorry for the double post, but after following the 'advice' in this thread by unplugging and re-inserting the 20-pin power cable into the motherboard the PSU does spin at start up though I have not dared let the system run for any duration of time in case something is indeed wrong.

I will await a response before doing anything further.

Thread in question:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111680

Sorry for the double post, but after following the 'advice' in this thread by unplugging and re-inserting the 20-pin power cable into the motherboard the PSU does spin at start up though I have not dared let the system run for any duration of time in case something is indeed wrong.

Let'er run! Sometimes just reseating the connections can cure all sorts of problems.

The fan on your PSU is fanless at low loads and does not come on until the system reaches about 40-50% load and about 48c or any combination of the two. So it may be completely normal for your machine that you may rarely see the fan start at any time other than boot up.

At boot, the fan will start for a sec and then quit. This is the PSU doing it's own fan check .

Run P95 for awhile to stress your system and you should see the fan start then.

EDIT: you might look over the screws on the MB stand-offs to be sure none are loose. Bad connections at those points can cause weird issues like this too!.

It happened twice today, I rebooted the computer an hour or so after the first incident and looked at the Asus Probe log which told me the 3.3v had been down to 2.8v right before it died.

While looking at the log I had a second screen up which showed the voltages coming from the PSU and out of nowhere it began dropping again before locking up for a split second and the computer shut down. It booted up again immediately, but was instantly shut down again; as before I had to manually shut it off.

Any ideas other than an RMA on the PSU?

It happened twice today, I rebooted the computer an hour or so after the first incident and looked at the Asus Probe log which told me the 3.3v had been down to 2.8v right before it died.

While looking at the log I had a second screen up which showed the voltages coming from the PSU and out of nowhere it began dropping again before locking up for a split second and the computer shut down. It booted up again immediately, but was instantly shut down again; as before I had to manually shut it off.

Any ideas other than an RMA on the PSU?

Not really. The Mb is responsible for regulating voltages from the PSU , so the symptoms your describing could point to either piece of hardware. RMA the PSU but, if you get the same thing with a new unit, have the MB replaced.

The only way to really exclude one or the other is to measure the voltages with a DMM.

Ok, so it could be the motherboard?

During one of the restarts I had a screen pop up that said Asus surgeprotector (or something close in name) had turned the machine off due to inconsistent power. One would think the 850w should be more than enough to power what I have in it, bought it so I had something to expand with in the future.

I think I will have to take it to a technician who can test the voltages and what not before I RMA anything, the store I bought everything from have turned out to be a PITA to deal with unfortunately.

As before the fix has been to unplug the powercables going to the mobo and reattach them, after that it will work fine for a while.

• Corsair Employee
It may have a bad cable from what you have posted and I would suggest you request an RMA and explain the issue in the description and post the case number I will ask our customer service to send you a new set of cables to see if that solves the issues based on what you have posted.

I have the same PSU. My unit has a very sensitive connection with the rear power plug. The slightest movement of the plug in the socket and I can lose power. As silly as it sounds, have you tried pushing the power plug in a bit more? It tends to wiggle in the socket a little.

It may have a bad cable from what you have posted and I would suggest you request an RMA and explain the issue in the description and post the case number I will ask our customer service to send you a new set of cables to see if that solves the issues based on what you have posted.

Since the rebuild I've had no issues, but it's only been little over a day so I won't feel safe until at least a week has passed without incident.

I live in Norway, am I still eligible for a new set of cables if I do the RMA?

Returning anything from my side wouldn't be cost effective unfortunately. The cheapest way to send registered mail to the US is $60.

PS- is there a simple way to make the H100 fans stop grinding or will I have to replace them? Only one of the two does it at the moment, but both have 'released' some sort of oily substance which I was quick to wipe off.

I have the same PSU. My unit has a very sensitive connection with the rear power plug. The slightest movement of the plug in the socket and I can lose power. As silly as it sounds, have you tried pushing the power plug in a bit more? It tends to wiggle in the socket a little.

I did notice that the cable wasn't a very good fit when I first put it together so I made sure to use a tiny bit of extra force to make it seat properly. Thank you for your post :)

I live in Norway, am I still eligible for a new set of cables if I do the RMA?

Absolutly! RMA's are worldwide!

Returning anything from my side wouldn't be cost effective unfortunately. The cheapest way to send registered mail to the US is $60.

You wouldn't have to return anything. RamGuy is suggsting to just send you a new set of cables. No need to return the old ones.

PS- is there a simple way to make the H100 fans stop grinding or will I have to replace them? Only one of the two does it at the moment, but both have 'released' some sort of oily substance which I was quick to wipe off.

You can request an RMA for the ont that is noisy and as far as the oil goes, that is a known issue. For some reason some of the fans came overly lubricated from the factory. Once the excess is flung out they will stop.

• Corsair Employee

I have sent a message to our customer service for you and that last part I dont understand?

I filed one for the fan as well, but never got an email confirming it.

What was the case number?

EDIT: Never mind I found the other case and replied to you on how to get the fans replaced.

I have sent a message to our customer service for you and that last part I dont understand?

What was the case number?

EDIT: Never mind I found the other case and replied to you on how to get the fans replaced.

I followed the instructions on the replacement fan, still waiting for an email in regards to the cables. (The latter is 5227581)

• 2 weeks later...

Fan and cables arrived a few days ago, been running my system without issues since then.

Thank you :)

PS- If I could point out one thing however, perhaps it would be wiser to ship items in fitted boxes instead of the ones used, the things I received were in boxes 10x their size. Not a huge problem, but having a smaller green imprint can never hurt and I'd rather support a company concious about that than someone who's not :)

PPS- Great CS.

Archived