Corsair Community

H50 / H70 Minimum operating temperature of cooler

eigenVector

I am looking into purchasing one of the H50 or H70 coolers for my carPC. Before purchasing however I have a question. I understand that these coolers use distilled water with Propylene Glycol added. What effect does propylene glocol have on the temperature at which the water freezes?

There may be times where I plan to boot the computer while it is at or below 0C for a few days a year. On these days I expect the CPU to heat up, and if the water is frozen to be thawed while operating. Will there be any problem operating the unit if it freezes or while the water in it is frozen? Is it possible the unit will break, become very fragile, or damage my other components if frozen at in the 0C, -10C, -20C ranges?

At what minimum temperature is this device expected to operate normally?

I'd really like to try this unit because the PC gets very hot in the summer, but would like something that will still works in winter.

Thanks!

I am looking into purchasing one of the H50 or H70 coolers for my carPC. Before purchasing however I have a question. I understand that these coolers use distilled water with Propylene Glycol added. What effect does propylene glocol have on the temperature at which the water freezes?

There may be times where I plan to boot the computer while it is at or below 0C for a few days a year. On these days I expect the CPU to heat up, and if the water is frozen to be thawed while operating. Will there be any problem operating the unit if it freezes or while the water in it is frozen? Is it possible the unit will break, become very fragile, or damage my other components if frozen at in the 0C, -10C, -20C ranges?

At what minimum temperature is this device expected to operate normally?

I'd really like to try this unit because the PC gets very hot in the summer, but would like something that will still works in winter.

Thanks!

Definitely NOT a good idea.

I also doubt that the unit can be stored below freezing as water expands by ~8% (rho = 0.92g/cc).

It's likely that one or more hose connectors will be forced off as the unit freezes.

Or the plastic hose might crack depending on it's thermal characteristics.

But go ahead and at least stick it in your freezer first, then bench test for leaks afterwards.

If the unit were frozen, the pump will not rotate at all until the water thaws in the pump housing, then it will just spin (no net flow), while the rest of the water thaws throughout the tubing, then the radiator, that will take several minutes at least.

You will get all kinds of condensation on the tubing, radiator, and pump. Does your computer like dripping water? :eek:

Do you want to burn out your pump in the meantime? :!: ::pirate::

Me? I go with air, instead of wasting $110 + a few thousands of dollars of computer equipment.

Archived