Corsair Community

Firmware upgrade under Linux

dreamy

Hi,

do you have / do you plan to have a SSD firmware upgrade tool for Linux systems? I am just planning to buy Force 3, but one of my criteria is firmware upgrade under linux (OCZ has a great commandline tool for 32 and 64bit linix systems that downloads latest firmware and upgrades SSD).

Hi,

do you have / do you plan to have a SSD firmware upgrade tool for Linux systems? I am just planning to buy Force 3, but one of my criteria is firmware upgrade under linux (******** has a great commandline tool for 32 and 64bit linix systems that downloads latest firmware and upgrades SSD).

At this time, no we do not have a Linux upgrade option.

That makes unavailability of linux tool acceptable for me. Thanks a lot for answers, I will decide between you and whitened+censored company after I find out who provides better firmware and fixes problems faster.

I have to say, you make best RAM anyway...

The drive can be primary or secondary, doesn't matter.

The best option for those who are using other OSes is to simply make a bootable windows XP live environment on USB or CD. UBCD4Win or Siren's Boot work great.

Of course it is your choice, but I find it helpful to have windows live CD's hanging around all the time because I never know when I'll need it and I would rather not dual boot.

I am running on Debian Squeeze 64bit. Is it possible to upgrade the firmware from a windows xp live-cd environment? So it's not necessary for the ssd to be the boot-drive?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Yes it is possible. Check out UBCD4Win or Hiren's, those are the two that I know of.

The drive can be primary or secondary, doesn't matter.

The best option for those who are using other OSes is to simply make a bootable windows XP live environment on USB or CD. UBCD4Win or Siren's Boot work great.

Of course it is your choice, but I find it helpful to have windows live CD's hanging around all the time because I never know when I'll need it and I would rather not dual boot.

I've tried to to flash the new firmware on a Windows XP Live disk using Hiren's Boot, but when trying to flash new firmware i cannot find any disks (The SSD disk won't show up)..

When using IDE mode, disk will show up, but not with AHCI nor RAID (As i've figured already), but the point is, AHCI won't show the disk in Firmware updater, just in IDE mode.

Do i need to install AMD AHCI RAID controller?.. Disk will show up in Hiren's Boot, and i can read it, but it simply will not show up in Firmware updater.

Any tips or ideas? Im kinda out of luck here, as i've tried all sorts of solutions..

The only thing i havn't tried is changing to AHCI and Reinstalling Windows promptly for Firmware update, when i first installed Windows on the SSD i did that in RAID mode, as i thought RAID mode had AHCI to begin with, and that it shouldn't be any problems changing from RAID and AHCI mode.. But cannot boot SSD disk with Windows if i have AHCI mode set, only during RAID mode only.

Edit:

Tried with the last option, reinstalling Windows 7 x64 with AHCI Mode enabled.

I've tried with and without AMD AHCI RAID Controller driver, both will not show any drives in the Firmware Updater list.. :(

Could it be the AMD 790FX SB750 Causing these problems?... I Actually have no idea..

(Allways have latest Bios update on motherboard btw)

EDIT2:

For future reference, ALL my problems has been solved by a dear member on these forums...

Please check his thread if you really cannot flash this firmware.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98306

XP always needs a SATA or RAID controller for AHCI and RAID modes, respectively.

Only win 7, (and perhaps, Vista?, I don't remember) have the default SATA Controller 1.0 installed by default. Otherwise, you need to use Intel F6 drivers, the right AMD drivers, etc depending on your southbridge and/or SATA controller that you're using.

Also remember to right click and run as admin, regardless if the account you're using is admin or not. Or in the case of shidapu, make sure your BIOS is updated. I believe that was the problem in that scenario.

Or in the case of shidapu, make sure your BIOS is updated. I believe that was the problem in that scenario.

Had latest Bios all along :) But i have another strange visual bug that shows the SATA3 drive as SATA1.5G.. but it's performing as a SATA2 drive as thats my limit. :)

• 1 month later...
Not at this time. Also, it does not have to be Windows 7 per se. And, you could always try one of the Live CD utilities such as Hiren's etc.

Thank you for answer.

After a simple search: UBCD4Win seem to need an original windows cd to build itself and Hiren doesn't seem fully legal. This way looks difficult for me.

Much easier for me is to boot a live linux like Knoppix or Sysresccd, download the updater and run it with the ssd not in use. And much safer too.

Another way is something like Avira: Corsair builds a minimal linux live cd with a simple GUI with few options: update firmware, secure erase, etc..

That makes unavailability of linux tool acceptable for me. Thanks a lot for answers, I will decide between you and whitened+censored company after I find out who provides better firmware and fixes problems faster.

++

A "marketing" point is that often a linux user manages more computers, in my case I manage around 7 pc for work or for other people. Why miss a chance? ;-)

I dont want to bother you, are just some suggestions.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for answer.

After a simple search: UBCD4Win seem to need an original windows cd to build itself and Hiren doesn't seem fully legal. This way looks difficult for me.

Much easier for me is to boot a live linux like Knoppix or Sysresccd, download the updater and run it with the ssd not in use. And much safer too.

Another way is something like Avira: Corsair builds a minimal linux live cd with a simple GUI with few options: update firmware, secure erase, etc..

Do you realize that you can legally use Windows for trial period?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495

After realizing there's no way to update firmware on my computer running Linux I'd updated my firmware using this Windows trial, it worked like a charm.

I suggest Corsair to build small live media using this Windows trial offer.

It is really a shame on Corsair for not supplying a bootable iso for the updater. Or DOS compatible updater. Or Linux compatible updater.

Now i spent time downloading and installing the Win7 trial linked in above post, and have trouble with that too. Yes Microsoft have a a partitioning tool, but it lacks many function and fail to tell constraints, but refers to unable to find driver, and tells to read error log for details. What error log?! On third attempt after deleting a couple partitions (my working linux system...) it finally installed. Uses a nonoptimal graphics driver, but main problem is it can not find a driver for network interface, and tells me to connect to Microsoft update. What a joke! Linux installers i know work much better and even the Fedora 16 beta live USB is just to plug in and everything including graphics and internet just works immediately.

What a difference! - Even Linux beta grade systems works *far* better and more user friendly than this crap! "Windows 7 Enterprise"?! What a sad joke... Enter Linux.

OK, i reformat a USB stick to a filesystem Win7 understands and transfer files manually from another machine. ( Every computer here at work (and home) runs Linux (most Mandriva) since some years - and there are reasons for that; above is just an example. )

It is really a shame on Corsair for not supplying a bootable iso for the updater. Or DOS compatible updater. Or Linux compatible updater.. )

We cannot generate a bootable ISO for the loader. The software belongs to SandForce. That type of updater will have to come from them.

Try http://www.google.se/search?q=sandforce+linux+firmware+updater

So why should Corsair in particular be unable to do this?

SandForce would only be happy to help you make tools that drive their market!

( I f not, they are stupid ) Have you asked?

Then talk so some people behind a nice bootable rescue system, (my favourite is http://sysresccd.org which have a lot of tools for partitioning, imaging, whatever) and ask if you may use that as a base, and you go from being the worst to best supporting SSD manufacturer :biggrin:

Now i managed to minimise the cute little update tool environment called Windows 7 to a partition of only 17GB. Why would i accept a update tool to use 15% of my disk??

(OK i can use that space for swap, and keep that Microsoft content on an external backup drive as an image file only to load for updating but that is a hassle, and most people would not accept such struggle!)

Archived