Corsair Community

What I learned today.

kkolbo

In my 800D case with my H50 mounted on the back I decided to add a low volume silent fan to the top as an exhaust to reduce the positive air pressure in the case from the bottom intake fan and the H50 intake fan. The additional fan spins around 600-800. It is so silent that all I hear from my computer is the video card and the DVD drive. So it is not moving a lot of air, just relieving pressure.

My result was an idle temp drop on the CPU case temp of about 4C. No change in the MB temp. Under normal load the CPU and the MB temps are lower. Under extended Prime95 the CPU case runs about the same or about 1C lower. The MB runs 3C colder than at idle.

This tells me that at idle, the pressure relief is bringing more cool air through the radiator. At full load, the H50 has reached the limit of its cooling transfer for the radiator size, but is still moving much more air through, because the MB is benefiting from it.

APPLICATION

I am beginning to wonder if some of the users who are not getting the expected performance out of their H50 might be having one of two problems. One, they are sucking in hot air from the case either through the nearby exhaust or from using the H50 as an exhaust. Second, they may have a pressure problem within the case. Too many intake or exhaust fans working against the H50. I had a problem at one point of a fan disrupting the flow for the H50 because it was blowing on it.

Interesting. What would you recommend for me, I have an Antec 300. It has:

2X 120mm fans in the front

one 140mm fan at the top

then the 120mm rear fan, which has a Fractal design 1000RPM fan pushing air out, and then the rad, and then an Antec tri-cool pushing air through the rad to the Fractal design fan.

What do you recommend.. Dual intake, keep the exhaust through the radiator and exhaust through the top, or reverse airflow, have the intake through the radiator, and exhaust through the front and top of the case.

Interesting. What would you recommend for me, I have an ******** 300. It has:

2X 120mm fans in the front

one 140mm fan at the top

then the 120mm rear fan, which has a Fractal design 1000RPM fan pushing air out, and then the rad, and then an ******** tri-cool pushing air through the rad to the Fractal design fan.

What do you recommend.. Dual intake, keep the exhaust through the radiator and exhaust through the top, or reverse airflow, have the intake through the radiator, and exhaust through the front and top of the case.

I am not tech support or an expert by any stretch at computer cooling. My experience says use the H50 radiator as an intake. Make sure that if you are using two fans on the H50 in a push/pull set up that the two fans are identical and spinning at the same speed. Turbulence through the radiator is possible otherwise and that just negates the purpose of the fans.

I do not know your case or the fans. I would look at the CFM of the fans and try to use similar amounts in and out. Keep air flowing across the MoBo in a direction. In my case I have the air moving to the top for exhaust.

I don't know if that helps.

:thinking:

Archived