Corsair Community

New build with a Corsair H50 - Another "High temps" thread (sorry!)

Wills

Hi all,

So I just built my new system (see specs). As well as the specs listed in my user profile I also got a H50 and had great expectations from some great reviews I read.

Now the problem, I've been seeing pretty high temps with the new setup, i've scoured the net and also these forums (which contain alot of similar threads to this..).

I took the corsair fan off the H5 and installed 2 black apache fans in push pull configuration, currently setup to pull cool air in from the back of the system (but i also tried switching and having it as an exhaust), and with my 930 at stock speed and voltages i idle around 35-37 degrees and after about 10 mins of prime 95 small tft test the temps level at about 70 degrees (monitored via CoreTemp and RealTemp). To me this seems crazily hot :(

Things i've tried:

- Using the original Corsair fan on its own (as the H50 came)

- With the corsair fan and 1x apache in push pull

- 2xApache fans in push pull,

- Rad mounted with pipes coming from top and more recently, bottom.

All these tests were done with CPU / Chassis fans speed control disabled in the bios, so hopefully everything running off the mobo is running at max speed fan wise (thats the 2x apaches and the h50 pump). Currently the pump and one of the Apache fans are running off one of two of the Chassis fan headers as recommended and the other apache fan running off the CPU fan header.

I tried reseating the base unit 3 or 4 times, and i tried with the H50 pre applied tim and removed it and tried some AS5 (tried applying AS5 twice (after cleaning the old off obviously :laughing:).

I also checked the BIOS and the pump is supposedly running at approx 1300 -1350 rpm.

I've tried to give as much info as possible here to help you to help me, let me know if there's anything i've missed out ::o:

Any advice greatly appreciated - pretty uninspired to far :[pouts:

Regards,

Wills

Your pump should be running at 1400 rpm, try to connect it directly to the psu. Air flow within your case is important wether you are using the h50 in intake or exhaust mode. Usually the rear fan position is set up as exhaust so if it is now an intake there must be an exhaust somewhere else preferably on the top so hot air is expelled. If it is exhausting you may have to add additonal intake fans to increase the air flow through the case. I like the rad with the tubes on the bottom, this ensures the pump is always in liquid and any air bubbles will stay at the top of the rad.

Thanks for the reply, I will try connecting the pump directly to the PSU, i have 2 120mm fans in the roof at the back of the case which were exhausts but i have now changed them to blow down into the chassis and reversed the H50 so it is exhausting again, with the H50 as intake the ambient case temp go so toasty even with the 2 fans on top acting as exhausts. Ill let you know how it goes. but with the 2 top fans as intakes its still at approx 70 under load on each core which is still high for a stock 930 in my opinion. Perhaps this weekend I will take the h50 off and see what temps i get with the stock cooler :[pouts:

I'm on the i7 920 c0 and here is my best temps ever on prime 71C 66C 68C 65C before it was around 74C. This is after reseating and applying the correct amount of TIM. Anyways I asked for lots of help myself, but to no avail this is really disappointing so I'm jumping back ships to my trusted name brand. The 930 should run a little cooler than the 920.

Use intake for the h50 and exhaust for the 2 top fans. It just makes more sense thermal dynamically and i know it sucks that it shoots dust into your pc (if you hunted for a case with dust filters) corsair should seriously supply a dust filter with the h50.. poor shame.

I'm on the i7 920 c0 and here is my best temps ever on prime 71C 66C 68C 65C before it was around 74C. This is after reseating and applying the correct amount of TIM. Anyways I asked for lots of help myself, but to no avail this is really disappointing so I'm jumping back ships to my trusted name brand. The 930 should run a little cooler than the 920.

Use intake for the h50 and exhaust for the 2 top fans. It just makes more sense thermal dynamically and i know it sucks that it shoots dust into your pc (if you hunted for a case with dust filters) corsair should seriously supply a dust filter with the h50.. poor shame.

Hi!

Wow it seems you are suffering just like me, its not the dust i was so concerned with more the fact that having it as an intake seriously heats up my ram and the general internal case temp. As my 4870 is struggling to keep cool because of the need to put it in the 2nd pci-e slot so its pretty close to my PSU and is a bit sarved for air, that was my mail concern.

I find it pretty ironic that the first thing you see when you open the H50 box is a huge bright red notice saying WARNING: DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT TO THE STORE - Contact corsair for help directly. :eek:

I will have to try the stock intel HSF now and see what temps I get otherwise it looks like I might be asking for an RMA as the product that I have at least is not living up to the advertised capabilities :(:

Archived