Corsair Community

LONG: What memory should I get and what timings?

senator

I have gone to the Compatibility Lab for my mainboard only to find the memory to be different than what I ordered. The only reason this is bothering me is because I seem to have a lot of direct or indirect issues involving memory. So, as I have done before, I will leave my specs: Windows XP Pro, SP 1 MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R Via K8T800 Athlon 64 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT 512MB DDR400 PC3200 XMS X (2) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro REVOLUTION 7.1 PCI SURROUND VANTEC ION VAN-400B (400W) Serial ATA I have had my memory set too DDR400 on the board but the default was DDR200. Something must have happened recently as all the settings have been set back to the manufacturers default settings. . .I may have re-flashed the BIOS :brick: At any rate, the biggest problem that I have had recently involves my Iomega Super DVD external USB 2.0 not working on my rig anymore. The only thing I can think that has changed is that I have a new Rio Nitrus sharing one of the 5 USB 2.0 ports. Here's some food for thought that never bothered my burnng DVDR/CDR and that is that I use a USB 2.0 PCI Card w/ ports for my USB 1.1 devices as I have heard that you can't run both on the same hub. But, as I have said, not sure why I am no longer hanging/crashing but my hardware is starting to act crazy and in looks like I am getting memory dumps after app/system recovers from the bad DVD/CD copying process. Any ideas on whether I should swap my RAM up to TWINX and in that just going from two 512MB sticks to one 1024MB TWINX. Or maybe I should just tweak the memory settings. Currently it is running at CS 2.0 latency and seems "fairly" stable there. Just not sure and I am near wits end as my machine always seems to have "some issue" that keeps me from enjoying it thoroughly. Thanks in advance!

• Corsair Employee
I would use slots 1-3 for the memory and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and just to test set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and see if that helps. If all is running smooth you can try more aggressive timings but the settings above are what's suggested for 2 single modules and this chipset is not dual channel so you may not run as well as with just one module installed even if you had a Twinx set it may very well be the same issue. For the USB problems I am sorry as I can not help you much with that but I would suggest that you not mix USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices on the same controller hub as it may revert that to 1.1 spec and some USB 2 devices may not run well at 1.1 spec. and the reverse is true as well or in other words if you try and use a USB 2.0 device on a hub that is USB 1.1 along with another device the USB 1.1 Hub may not be able to provide enough power for both devices

Will let you know how those settings. . . BTW, in my BIOS it give the option to "Limit" the DDR as it is currently set to "Auto" and greyed-out at DDR200. Should I choose to limit it and raise it to DDR400? Thanks again for your help!

• 3 weeks later...
Not so sure that my RAM is working out. . .any word on whether the BIOS revision 1.20 is going to fix my Corsair RAM or not. Here's my RAM: (2) Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT 512MB DDR400 RAMGuy did you mean to have me put them in slot 1 and slot 3 as you wrote Slots 1-3 and I have 2 sticks. Thanks in advance!

Archived