Corsair Community

Try to upgrade Force GT3 120 GB - red cross!

mabuse714

Hi

I had massive stability issues most likely from the Force GT - blue screen, ntfs.sys. Repeatedly and the PC crashed suddenly in the middle of doing something. Run several chkdsk /F and /R. Then I found this site and saw there is an update available. I have moved the SSD to another computer and started the update - running as admin, choose the right .vic (22757) - but I get a red cross instead of a green checkmark. After a rescan, the disk says it is still 1.3. I did this several times.

The SSD type is CSSD-F120GBGT-BK. I am running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise, AHCI is enabled on Gigabyte AMD mobo 890GPA-UDH3. Is the disk broken and is there a way to check it? What does the red cross mean?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Whatever your answer to my question: Thank you.

But I have to say here, that I am somehow deeply disappointed by the quality of SSDs. I am not addressing this to Corsair but in general. I own two other SSDs from another manufacturer and one of them is also broken - the BIOS-doesn't-recognize-anymore-issue.

I mean, we - the customers - are using these SSDs mainly as boot disks. I don't have to tell you, what this means when they fail...

The above mentioned SSD is three days old and I spent hours to restore the PC of my wife, only to see, that this expensive piece of hardware - compared to magnetic disks - fails. I am working in IT business since more than 20 years and I know from original IBM PC with 8088 processor to six cores everything. I am really starting to loose my faith in this technology and I think it is also not good for the manufacturers to have many RMAs and not very happy customers.

This is really a pity, because SSD technology sounds nice on the paper but it seems 'reality bites'.

My wish to Corsair would be: Please sell reliable products especially if used for the c: boot drive. A boot drive which fails after three days is just a waste of time for me. And after that experience I am really thinking twice to buy another SSD, even the advantages and the speed are unambigous and a big step forward in computer technology but the reliability needs to be improved.

Thank you.

PS: Excuse my bad English, I am not a native speaker.

Thanks a lot Hellraiser. I changed the Win7 disk to a 32-bit installation, this disk was never before attached. It worked, I could update the firmware.

I also tried several times to install Win7 x64 to this drive and it failed.

I also agree that the AMD AHCI driver must be the cause of the problem. Updates were installed on this computer and then the problems started.

Thank you again and I will try, what you wrote.

I had this when using the AMD AHCI driver, change it in device manager to Standard ATA AHCI adapter 1.0, reboot and then try. Worked fine for me, on 1.3.2 now on a 790GX board.

Hellraiser...........>

Hellraiser, thank you so much for posting this. Greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of people struggling with this issue and I had thought it was SP1 or SP1 x64 causing the issue, have manually changed the driver and now have firmware 1.3.2 rather than 1.1 :)

Have also linked your fix in the Force Series 3 Users Having Issues with a Replacement Drive READ HERE PLEASE thread.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=532927#post532927

Hellraiser, thank you so much for posting this. Greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of people struggling with this issue and I had thought it was SP1 or SP1 x64 causing the issue, have manually changed the driver and now have firmware 1.3.2 rather than 1.1 :)

Have also linked your fix in the Force Series 3 Users Having Issues with a Replacement Drive READ HERE PLEASE thread.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=532927#post532927

No problem - I would advise downloading the latest AHCI driver from the AMD website http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx - and install this after you have upgraded the firmware, as the AMD driver is quicker it just causes some issues with firmware upgrading. The only reason for not installing the AMD AHCI driver was that it didn't originally support TRIM, but all the most recent versions do.

Hellraiser.............>

Yellwobeard: You are right, it is written there but hellraiser described it in more detail.

... for us, somtimes stupids.

Meanwhile I found the reason of all my trouble: My mainboard was broken after three days. That caused a lot of very funny effects.

Thank you all again for the good advice.

Thank you very much for offering your help but changing a mainboard is no big deal for me. 'But I had to identify the cause first and then buy a new one.

After some hickups from the damaged Win7 x64 installation - damaged by the many crshes and blue screens, everything is fine now. Also using the latest AMD drivers.

The Corsair SSD was NEVER AN ISSUE. I apologize, that I wrote something in this direction here. :!oops:

It just seemed to me, because of the 'blue screen' error messages.

I have to clearly say here, that before the mainboard trouble this AMD Phenom II X6 1090T plus the Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 mainboard and the Corsair 120 Force GT make together a very fast and very quiet PC. Not to forget the Scythe fan for the processor.

The SSD is very reliable - in contrary to my first impression.

Thank you again for your help :biggrin:

What do I learn from this: Do not trust your first impression - in case of computers.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you change the driver? uninstall and find the new one?

It's probably listed in a bunch of places but I followed some of the steps in the thread labeled:

"Force Series 3 and Force GT Firmware Update Ver 1.3.3".

Sorry I don't know how to link to it but it's one of the main threads in "Threads in Forum : Solid State Drives (SSD)"

Archived