Corsair Community

SP2200 random static output, please advise on a solution

BSOD

Hello,

I bought a pair of SP2200 speakers on October 16 2011 and within 2-3 of the purchase they started to emit static/pops/scratchy sounds. I have tried to better seat the Right Speaker connection at the woofer to no avail. I have read of many accounts claiming the same type of symptoms so I am not alone.

What I would like to know is the root cause of the issue. What is technically different about the replacement speakers if I were granted an RMA? I want to avoid an RMA at all costs... Literally! (As a Canadian shipping to California for an RMA is a substantial cost and I cannot afford to invest 50% of the initial cost of the speakers in shipping. IMO a Canadian destination should be provided for RMA's in this country.)

Anyway... it would be much less of a hassle and overall cost if I could simply fix the issue myself even though it may mean that the remainder of my warranty would be void. Corsair I implore you to divulge this info!

Thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employee

Please verify that all connections on the back of the sub are clear of dust and obstructions. Double check that the 13pin DIM connection is plugged securely in.

If the issue still occurs you will have no choice but to fill out an RMA request.

Thanks for the response to my thread RAM GUY. :biggrin:

Dust is not the issue imo. These speakers started to act up shortly after purchasing them (within 30days). I have tried my best to seat and re seat the connections. TBH I also used a electronics contact cleaner on the 13pin DIM connection and it made no difference. That is why I figured there may be more to this issue then a simple connection issue because that would have taken care of it IMHO.

I fear that this means that I will have to RMA it. Is there any way I can be accommodated so that shipping charges, brokerage fees etc etc will not be assessed to me on speakers that failed out of the box? I fear that like a plague sending these for RMA to the USA will incur potential fees and border issues. I sent a $15 video card to the US recently for RMA and despite the fact that the company clearly labeled on the box that the item being sent back to me was a Defective Warranty Replacement I was issued a invoice by customs. They are not supposed to do that but they claim not to have known that the item was a Warranty Replacement. Also because the customs invoice had a declared value of $20 (anything over $20 is subject to brokerage fees entering Canada apparently) I was forced to pay brokerage fees even though I proved that the item was a Warranty Replacement... these are the horrors that I need to avoid. :noooooo:

If I must RMA... Corsair I beg of you, PLEASE arrange that I can ship to NCIX in Vancouver or Toronto and not over the border!

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh I just got my speakers 3 days ago and, they too, have this problem. The pops and cracks are SOOOOO annoying. I tried calling customer service but they are closed today :'( This is disappointing. They sounded so good for 2 days and now this. I wish Corsair would admit there is a major defect with this product and honor any RMA without having to pay for shipping back to them.

My experiences with recalls with other companies in a situation such as this is the company would send the replacement product to the customer and the customer would send the defective product back with a prepaid shipping label. They would require a credit card as insurance in the event of the product not being returned but that's completely valid. Having to pay 50% of the cost of a product just to ship an obviously defective product back is just bad customer service. I'm hoping when I am able to get ahold of customer service they will have a similar solution to a very unpleasant experience.

Yes, too bad they were closed on the 23rd. My defective SP2200 were out for delivery today but because they were closed it was unsuccessful. Oh well

I am not saying they will do this for you but Corsair paid for my return shipping. I was pleasantly surprised that the people staffing their phone support are top notch. After talking to them my confidence in Corsair was fully restored . I say give them a chance to help you. Chances are that you will more than satisfied.

... now if only they would only send back some SP2500 by accident... lol

• 2 weeks later...

So my speakers are held up at Customs :veryangry:

UPS phoned me and said that in order for the speakers to pass through customs I would have to send them a copy of the Export Documentation as well as phone corsair and have them email me a value for the returning speakers/cost of repair that I would then forward to UPS!!!

Does no one know the law at UPS (or fedex for that matter)??? According to Canadian Customs D Memorandum D8-2-26 paragraph 4 I should not be (nor Corsair for that matter) charged brokerage fees or taxes because Corsair covers the cost of parts/labor.

Corsair please feel free to contact UPS on my behalf. I have sent them a copy of the export documentation that you sent me when I shipped the package. I gave them a link to NCIX showing the FMV currently at $49.99 CAD. BUT REALLY..... cmon' man.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I originally purchased a set of the Sp2200 about six months ago.

My first set started emitting said static and popping noises about a week in and i had those RMAed. The second set I got lasted roughly the same time before the same exact issue arose. I am now on my third rma set of speakers and once again they only lasted 1 week.

Is it possible I received 3 faulty sets of speakers? My patience has worn thin and im about to just call it a lost cause and eat the $100 that they costed.

Can I rma for a 4th set? this just seems ridiculous

Welp, Corsair received the second faulty SP2200's and are now saying that they are EOL and have none to return to me... ok, I understand, stuff like that happens. What is frustrating is that they wanna send me a H80 or 1500 headset instead... I bought speakers, I need speakers, is there not some other speaker set to send me???

sigh... so they have my money and now they have backed me into a corner that I never thought they would. I guess I will have to ask for a refund. Linus from NCIX says that Corsair has "Legendary" customer service although I am not sure he meant in this way.

Archived