Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: Push pull config question

makatech

I probably don't need it but I'm still curious trying a push pull config since I assume it should cool my cpu even better? :)

Currently I have my H115i Platinum installed at front blowing air through radiator flowing into my case, everything is working fine.

Question 1: Would it be fine using any pair of 140mm pwm fans or which Corsair fans do you recommend (no rgb necessary for these ones at all).

Question 2 about powering/connecting the fans: I lf I understand it correctly it will be fine to connect one pair to the cable marked number 1 and the other pair to number 2 using two splitters (y cables) right?

Anything else I should be aware of when attempting a push pull setup for h115i platinum? Advices will be highly appreciated. :)

I probably don't need it but I'm still curious trying a push pull config since I assume it should cool my cpu even better? :)

Currently I have my H115i Platinum installed at front blowing air through radiator flowing into my case, everything is working fine.

Question 1: Would it be fine using any pair of 140mm pwm fans or which Corsair fans do you recommend (no rgb necessary for these ones at all).

Question 2 about powering/connecting the fans: I lf I understand it correctly it will be fine to connect one pair to the cable marked number 1 and the other pair to number 2 using two splitters (y cables) right?

Anything else I should be aware of when attempting a push pull setup for h115i platinum? Advices will be highly appreciated. :)

1) You can use any pair of PWM fans. The challenge is balancing the two curves. For the easiest balancing of the curves, use the ML "Classic" fans (high speed, original ML fans, not the RGB ones).

2) That is correct. And that's exactly how mine are configured.

Try to find fans with High Static pressure. I'd recommended Corsair's SP edition which are not RGBs. If I'm not mistaken, according to Linus benchmarks, Corsair HD fans had the best results on performance. I personally use ML fans which are pretty silent on low RPMs. You could go for the Twin pack which peaks about 1600 RPM if i'm not mistaken. You won't have the plastic rubber corners but I guess they don't matter that much after all...

@TheTiesThatBind

Ok, the shop close to where I live have Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 140mm in store, they should be fine too, right?

I may actually test using my be quiet silent wings 2 first though even though they are not optimal (as pull fans).

No, the SW2 series is definitely not optimal. Thin, raked blade and even a dust filter really puts a crimp in the airflow. Nice quiet case fan, but not really good for this. Very wide dispersal pattern too.

The Redux line is better, but while that brand has many compliments and admirers, that particular series has considerably less. The blade is different, a little more angled that the standard A14 or industrial PPC version.

Hybrid or more airflow orientated fans can still be effective on radiators at higher speeds, but then often the point of doing push-pull is to get the same airflow with lower speeds. If that is the case in this instance, you do want those flat wide blades like on a ML140 or A14. Static pressure and that design are more critical at lower speeds. At you increase speed, the resistance is overcome. So if you are happy to run your fans at 1500 rpm+ all day, then you don't have to be as picky.

I think the basic grey"twin pack" ML140 makes a lot of sense. Same RPM range and blade as the fans that came with the Platinum. While you certainly can manage two individual fan curves with the cooler on Channel 1 and 2, having the same fan makes everything simple. Also, the real advantage of these ML is they are quieter than most other fans at moderate speed. The ML is still pretty quiet up to near that 900-1100 rpm range where other fans start to get loud. That 900 rpm might be a real sweet spot for push pull load fan levels, with good airflow but still not very loud.

These ones, right? In Swedish... ;)

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/246707-Corsair-ML140-140mm-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-Fan-Dubbel-pack

I found ml140 twin packages both named "premium" and "basic" a bit confusing, I believe they are the same?

Yes, that’s it. Technically they have no moniker besides “ML 140 twin pack” whereas the other previously more expensive singles in black (ML140 Pro) and single LED (ML140 Pro LED) that all carry the Pro tag. As mentioned above, if you can get 2 Black Pro singles for about the same, by all means. Same motor and blade. Twin pack slightly stripped down in color and perhaps frame weight. Looks like not, so I would probably get the twin pack grey if you can’t see them or don’t care about color.

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/246708-Corsair-ML140-PRO-140mm-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-Fan

I bought the "Corsair ML140 140 mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan double pack" and everything is working fine (no rubber on these fans but it doesn't matter at all I think, not for this purpose).

This aio cooler and a push pull stup is overkill for my Ryzen 5 1600X system but I am just having fun and I may upgrade cpu within a year or so.

Easy install and the push pull config is working fine but so far only using the default fan profiles for quiet and balanced mode, no tweaking/synchronizing yet.

With fans on balanced mode and pump on quiet mode cpu temp stabilizes at approx 63 °C using the "Stress FPU" stress test in Aida 64. Idling averages about 27-28 °C I think (not 100% sure). Currently a very light cpu overclock on 3.85GHz thus stock settings would most probably give me slightly lower temps when pushing the cpu. Perhaps I will go for a daily 3.9 or 3.95GHz overclock setup now with this aio system. When installing the pump earlier this week I used the preapplied cooling paste, I may redo this step.

A couple of minutes after pushing the system I noticed little bit annoying noise (not loud but little bit irregular/annoying noise), some kind ticking noise, probably from the new ML140 fans but I'm not totally sure (maybe from the pump). Didn't notice strange sounds before stress testing the cpu. Perhaps a custom fan curve on slightly higher rpm will make them running more smooth (700-800rpm)?

Question: Pump is currently connected to "aio_pump" on my Asus Prime X370-Pro board. Not sure if I should have it on auto, dc mode, pwm mode or disabled in uefi or it doesn't matter at all?

Thanks for your advices, great forum, also the h115i platinum is a good aio, I believe Corsair made it (good balance between quality/performance/price). Push pull setup probably overkill for me but it is probably great for CPUs running hot or when using high overclock setups.

Question: Pump is currently connected to "aio_pump" on my Asus Prime X370-Pro board. Not sure if I should have it on auto, dc mode, pwm mode or disabled in uefi or it doesn't matter at all?

For this particular pump, it doesn't matter at all. Again, for this pump, this only provides a fan speed reading to prevent a CPU_FAN error on boot. Other pumps do use this for power delivery so, with them, it matters. But the Platinum coolers have independent power delivery via the SATA cable.

Ok, good to know about the pump and yes the future AMD 3000 will be very interesting! :)

This aio rocks right now. Only one negative thing, I believe one of the new ML 140 mm fans sounds like a bird at certain rpm's, hopefully it's not the pump. I will need to do some detective work here.

Some more quick tests using prime 2.66 and overclocking my 1600X to 3925MHz, about 59-61 °C most of the times, rock stable, rasing volts to approximately 1.3675

Update: super weird ;-)

I unplugged the lower (new) ML 140 mm fan from power, "bird sound" disappeared. Then I reconnected the fan and since then I have never heard the "bird sound" again!?

It's a bit to early to celebrate though. ;-)

EDIT: Yes, it's back and I'm sure which one is causing this sound, I will try getting a new ML 140 mm fan tomorrow.

I know magnetic fans may sound weird if not given enough power but I am pretty sure this is just a bad fan. I suppose the sata connection for the H115i platinum is enough to give power to the pump and four fans?

I received an advice from @c-attack loosening the screws for the ML fan making sporadic "bird sounds" (chirping) and I believe it helped. :-)

My guess is that the magnetic ML fans are a bit more sensitive for this than the majority of other fans but I am not sure.

Only one negative thing left right now:

I believe my current setup of radiator and fan configuration/placement may have increased temp of gpu, I see this on idling.

Note: I also increased my overclock from 3.85GHz to 3.925GHz including raising voltage to approximately 1.3675.

I'm not sure yet if my increased overclock is the reason or the placement of fans and radiator, I will need to do more testning.

My cpu temps are fantastic, not an issue at all. System stable in prime 2.66 tests and various benchmarks.

This is my current setup:

Front: H115i platinum in a push pull config (4 x 140 mm) and one 140 mm below the radiator (all fans blowing air into case)

Bottom: Two 140 mm blowing air into case in direction up to gpu

Top: Two 120 mm blowing air out from case

Back: One 140 mm blowing air out from case

Archived