Corsair Community

860i and PC doesn't boot

Bonifacy

Boy, I feel so stupid right now. A friend of mine warned me, avoid the Corsair products, they are only a problem he said. A hater I thought, can't be that bad and here I am... Just put together my Haswell build, but it won't even boot. After flipping the PSU switch, the LEDs on the mobo blink once for a duration of about a second and then they die. A click can be heared coming out of the PSU shortly after flipping the switch, not sure if its worth mentioning.

Self test with everything disconnected was green. Any ideas guys? I just did a quick test with my old Tagan PSU, connected the 24 and 8 pin atx to the mobo and flipped the switch. The LEDs on the mobo were lit all the time, guess I could boot it, but didn't try it since it doesn't have enough power for the whole system.

Same test with my Corsair gave me the same result as the one described at the beginning of this post, onboard LED just blink once and nothing. Like it couldn't support enough power or just cut it off shortly after turning it on. Any ideas before I return it?

Regards

I actually managed to get my hands on Tagan BZ800W, which works well for my friend. After hooking it up, I was able to boot... For about 3-4 seconds with nothing on the screen, system reboots and then tries again o_O This continues for about 4 resets and then whole system just stays powered off, LEDs lit, but pressing the power button has no effect, unless I flip the switch on the Tagan PSU off and on again, then whole cycle repeats itself. So this actually makes me think its either a mobo or the PSU... back to testing.

I personally think that this power supply is not compatible with Haswell boards. I had the same issue on my new Haswell build. I built my new pc a bit leaner than my old one. Not having Tri-SLI i figured i would not need to use my 1200w power supply and downsized to the AX860i.

After hooking everything up I found that the computer would sit in an inifinate boot loop lasting about 4 seconds each time.

I took everything apart and put it back together thinking I missed something when connecting the power. Still no go.

Then i decided to try my older AX1200. Like clockwork it turned on and is completely stable.

After doing some research it appears that alot of Haswell compatible units are not working properly at all. Now I am stuck with my AX860 collecting dust because i can't return it (because it technically isn't faulty).

It would be nice if someone from corsair would address these issues and offer solutions to people like use who are sitting with products that we can't use.

Thanks for your interest guys. After some solid sleep, I woke up with the idea of messing around with the CMOS and I think I have identified the culprit.

With my friends Tagan 800W, everything boots up and works - I had to reset the CMOS, but at least I know it's not the mobo. Now, plugging the Corsair 860i gave me nothing again, so we can say that it's the PSU's fault.

I decided to mess around the PSU and it appears that it fails the self test whenever I plug the 24pin atx into the PSU. Plugging this cable into the PSU and hitting the self test gives some juice for a second (coolers spin up) and then it dies. LED on the self test is not litghting up at all. Took a closer look at the 24atx cable and it is labeled as "AX1200/AXI Only" -does it mean I got a wrong cable?

Good afternoon. Got a new system on the basis of purchased components:Intel CoreI5-4670K ,Gigabyte Z87X-OC/REV.1 and power supply CorsairAX860I - system unit does not start.

If you replace Corsair AX860I to another power supply Zalman ZM770-XT EVERYTHING WORKS.

If you set the Corsair power supply AX860I in another system block everything works. This incompatibility or failure?

Corsair AX860I - CP-9020037-EU

That's a great find mate, would love to see a customer support reply on this. I wonder - since I'm not a really a PC genius - can it be fixed with a Bios upgrade... I'm running an f3 now and have seen an f4 available, no word on any PSU issues fix however.

I decided to mess around the PSU and it appears that it fails the self test whenever I plug the 24pin atx into the PSU.

And it will too every time. The self test is only to be run with no cables attached to it at all.

Took a closer look at the 24atx cable and it is labeled as "AX1200/AXI Only" -does it mean I got a wrong cable?

No, it will fit the AX1200's (non-I) and the AXI line itself. The cable is the correct one.

Best i can tell you is to contact ASUS too and see what they have to say about it. Almost all of Corsairs PSU's are fully compatible with the new Haswell boards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the board, just that you might also get ASUS take on this as well as see what Corsair has to say . But the AX line should work just fine. *shrugs*

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118456

@Bonifacy

I wonder - since I'm not a really a PC genius - can it be fixed with a Bios upgrade... I'm running an f3 now and have seen an f4 available, no word on any PSU issues fix however.

Yes,it's entirely possible. So if there is an update available please flash your BIOS and let us know if the results are any different. ASUS is very poor about BIOS update details.

originally posted by DX101

After doing some research it appears that alot of Haswell compatible units are not working properly at all.

The low power requirements are wreaking havoc on some PSU's The are not sensing enough of a start-up load for the PSU to start. But Corsair's PSU's have a 0 load requirement to start , so this is a little puzzling as to why it's happening to you guys..

I just noticed that in my whole thread I didn't write which motherboard I'm using. Just like the person few posts up with the same issue, I have Gigabyte Z87X OC - that's why it made me so excited when I read his post.

Anyway, I'll update the Bios today and mess around gigabyte's forums.

I have the same problem.. AX760i and Gigabyte X87X-OC. Build a new rig and does not power on. I blamed the PSU for it, because with my really old one it powers on. Now I have a second AX760i and the same problem...

I really hope there will be a fix for that either from GigaByte or from Corsair....

There is one way to get the PSU working with the mobo: press the specific "Ignition Button", but this cant be the final solution...

Well, Im both glad and saddened that there is yet another one of us with this issue.

@Trust - Could you please explain how does using the Ignition Button boots the PC in ours situation? Do you just press it and then boot the PC? I have yet to try this workaround.

I have also tried the F4 bios update, no dice, same thing. Poked the Gigabyte support with this issue with a link to this thread.

that was the last thing i tried and it worked:

-PSU-powerswitch on

-press the ignition button

-press power button of your pc: fans and everything else is turned on, but not the board/CPU/memory

-press the power button a second time: PC starts!

Thanks a lot mate, gonna give it a try when I'll be able to. Still, we should not be forced to look for a workaround in order to use Corsair's PSU with this particular motherboard. I really would like to see a post from the customer support if they do have a habit of posting on the boards that is.

Well, Corsair's Customer Support does not seem to be giving a single **** about this issue, both here on the forums and via the mail. This was the last time I bought your product and will sincerely not recommend your PSUs. Returning the PSU and getting a different brand one.

Thanks for all the posts on this fellas.

Bonifacy, i would really consider calling them. While the forums are here to help out with basic troubleshooting calling them is always the fastest way to get things taken care of.

Also you guys have the same MB, and your blaming the PSU for being incompatible ..but it could actually be gigabytes fault just as easily. Just something to think about.

Good afternoon. Got a new system on the basis of purchased components:Intel CoreI5-4670K ,Gigabyte Z87X-OC/REV.1 and power supply CorsairAX860I - system unit does not start.

If you replace Corsair AX860I to another power supply Zalman ZM770-XT EVERYTHING WORKS.

If you set the Corsair power supply AX860I in another system block everything works. This incompatibility or failure?

Corsair AX860I - CP-9020037-EU

I am having the EXACT SAME ISSUE.. I have the Z87X-OC, I have the same Self test problem with the ATX cable attached!!

Looks like the PSU is not Compatible!

Thanks for your interest guys. After some solid sleep, I woke up with the idea of messing around with the CMOS and I think I have identified the culprit.

With my friends Tagan 800W, everything boots up and works - I had to reset the CMOS, but at least I know it's not the mobo. Now, plugging the Corsair 860i gave me nothing again, so we can say that it's the PSU's fault.

I decided to mess around the PSU and it appears that it fails the self test whenever I plug the 24pin atx into the PSU. Plugging this cable into the PSU and hitting the self test gives some juice for a second (coolers spin up) and then it dies. LED on the self test is not litghting up at all. Took a closer look at the 24atx cable and it is labeled as "AX1200/AXI Only" -does it mean I got a wrong cable?

I have the exact same issue and the same scenario. Even have the ATX cable that says 1200 only... Something is not right here!

I have the exact same issue and the same scenario. Even have the ATX cable that says 1200 only... Something is not right here!
That is the correct cable. It fits the normal AX1200 as well as the entire AXI series PSU's.

Copied from a different post of mine:

What i find funny is the only thing that has really changed in the way of hardware is MB/CPU's. And these system with their super low power sleep states are wreaking havoc on all kinds of PSU's. Not just Corsair's. Just visit their forums to see it first hand.

But why is it the PSU gets the blame and it's never the MB/CPU manufacturers components at fault. These PSU's were out long before those boards were.

Also, if you could please when you have additional questions regarding you issue like this could you post it in your own thread. It gets really confusing when your posting the same thing in multiple threads. It will allow us to help you much faster!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am also having this same problem, I cant see it being a problem with the motherboards as it seems to be on both Gigabyte and Asus MB's.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this yet ?

Hi Hubs, the no-boot issue?

Will the PSU start outside the case using the paperclip method?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

I cant see it being a problem with the motherboards as it seems to be on both Gigabyte and Asus MB's.

It's not a problem of compatibility as much as it could be the possibility of a board showing up DOA ,immature BIOS's, ect. The AX760i has 0 amp rating meaning that it will power up without having to have any sort of load on it. So there should be no issues with the Haswell low power states.

I also noticed that you too have a gigabyte board. There is another thread in the memory forums that is suggesting Gigabyte is having a lot of trouble with these boards.

I realize you didn't have a memory issue, but these boards are having trouble with memory and coming out of sleep states , which is also another power management problem. But they all have the new gigabyte boards too.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=119923

Don't get me wrong, i know darn well it could all be just a coincidence , but there haven't been any complaints on ASUS or MSI boards yet.*shrugs*

If the PSU will power up outside the case just fine with a couple of case fans, then I would get a hold of Gigabyte.

And of course you always have the option to RMA it if you wanted too.

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I have an update. Corsair tech support first just blamed Gigabyte and are now refusing to answers back. But...

I did email gigabyte and they say that there is a compatibility issue between this MB and the AXi series PSU.

They say It is because Corsair are not complying with the latest ATX standards.

Reading between the lines and from comparing the connectors on my AX760i and my TX750 the female connectors on the ends of the leads have a wider hole than that of the TX750 range.

On my Gigabyte X58 G1 sniper board this is not a problem as the mail pins on the MB socket are made up of 3 small pins or 1 pin split down the middle in a Y shape. On my new Z87X-OC MB they have used solid pins, I presume because it is a overclocking MB they can give better current transfer.

But it would appear that the 2 factors combined cause this issue that's why my TX750 works with both my MB and the AXi only works with the G1.

Gigabyte say that if I post it to Gigabyte UK they will do a modification to fix the issue or I can change PSU.

I would like to know why Corsair are not complying with the latest ATX standards, what is the point in having a standard so that different manufacturers part will work with each other if a major manufacturer like Corsair does not stick to it.

I could be wrong about them not complying, its just what Gigabyte have said but I would be more than happy if they would comment ?

Thanks I hope this info helps someone and prevents them from having this very stressful experience.

I

have an update. Corsair tech support first just blamed Gigabyte and are now refusing to answers back. But...

I did email gigabyte and they say that there is a compatibility issue between this MB and the AXi series PSU.

They say It is because Corsair are not complying with the latest ATX

If you are using emails to contact Corsair they are closed for the 4th of july holiday. They wont be back in the office until Monday.Hence the lack of response. You can however call them first thing Monday and they would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

This IS the latest ATX spec.

Conforms to ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards, and is backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/ax-series-power-supply-units/ax860i-digital-atx-power-supply-860-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu.html

This information can be found on the product page and also verified in the ATX spec wiki as well as any other major source. It has the entire history along with the latest specs posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Also the AXi series has also been Haswell certified as well. Gigabyte is grasping at straws right now.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118456

On my Gigabyte X58 G1 sniper board this is not a problem as the mail pins on the MB socket are made up of 3 small pins or 1 pin split down the middle in a Y shape. On my new Z87X-OC MB they have used solid pins, I presume because it is a overclocking MB they can give better current transfer.

This is irrelevant and has no bearing on the issue. A pin is a pin. Whether it be solid or formed from copper sheet. It doesn't matter.

Gigabyte say that if I post it to Gigabyte UK they will do a modification to fix the issue or I can change PSU.

This right here is suggests to me that Gigabyte knows they have issues with the new Haswell platform.

I'm sorry Hubs but Gigabyte is filling you full of BS. Anyone who knows PSU's would be able to tell you this. Along with the information I provided gigabyte doesn't have a leg to stand on. They have problems with these boards and know it. But are doing what ever they can to hide the fact. The memory forum is also buzzing with memory issues on the same platform...All Gigabyte boards too.

Archived