Corsair Community

Cherry MX Blue Switch Fault!

mcroger

Two days ago I bought a Corsair Vengeance K70 (brushed aluminium) Cherry MX Blue. I didn't go with the Corsair Gaming version as I didn't like the logo, also I wanted the old Logo to match my Corsair Vengeance M65 mouse and my Corsair Vengeance MM200 Mouse Mat.

I made the purchase from one of Corsair's retailers (Ebuyer.com)

When I placed my order there was only 3 other keyboards left in stock, as of right now they are out of stock and what the website I purchased it on states that they are now discontinued keyboards. So I'm here thinking, whoa. I must have gotten the one of the last available K70's with the original Corsair logo. I unboxed the keyboard, marveled at it's beauty and features and naturally started to use it. I quickly realized that something didn't feel right. So I began to investigate. I discovered that my "N" key doesn't feel like all the other keys, it has more resistance (higher actuation force needed) than the other switches, it also doesn't make the same sound as the other switches. This bugs me. Because when I'm typing I can feel the difference between pressing other keys and when I press the "N" key. I removed the key cap and began to pinpoint where the fault in the switch is. From what I have gathered, is that when I bottom out the switch, there seems to be more resistance towards the bottom and what seems to be an extra bump at the bottoming out of the switch. Which the other switches don't have. So it seems like I get 2 tactile bumps when pressing "N" a tactile bump when the key is registered and another tactile bump when the key is bottomed out. Which is strange. Also, when I press the key I hear a springy noise from it. Whereas the other keys don't make it. The noise is very minimally faint, but if you pay attention you can hear it.

It definitely bugs me to the point where I want to return the keyboard because I feel as though if I'm spending so much money on a keyboard I want perfection in all keys. But at this point I don't think I could easily get this keyboard replaced as I think it is now discontinued. So I'm wondering if there is any simple way to replace the switch. For an example, take the switch from a key I hardly ever use like Page up, Page Down, Home, Insert etc, and swap that switch with the switch used for my "N" key. That way I'd have a good switch on my "N" key and the faulty switch would be on another key that I don't use as often, so that way I could have a much more fluid and enjoyable typing experience. Later on I could buy another Switch and take out the faulty one all together. But that being said, I don't know what the fault is exactly, but I'm thinking it's the spring. I wonder if I can easily replace it, or will it be a complex task? If so, can anybody give me any pointers or head me in the right direction? Or give me some opinions on what I should do from here on out.

Thank you ever so much for taking your time to read this. I have uploaded a video to show how different the switch sounds compared to the others: [ame]

[/ame]

Edit:I have taken off the key caps to inspect the switches to see if the switch at fault has a molding error or a noticeable difference but it looks identical to the others around it, when pressed it acts exactly like the others but right before it can bottom out, there is a little resistance and a little more force is needed, to fully bottom it out, once bottomed out completely it feels like an extra tactile bump has been made. Maybe debris in the spring? Or maybe the spring inside isn't good... I am unsure, but I'd say my best bet is that it lies with something to do with the spring.

I have made a video to try to show how the switch looks when being pressed compared to the others, if you look closely you will see that when you press it and think you've bottomed out, if you apply a little bit more force the switch goes down a little bit more and truly bottoms out.

Whereas with the other switches when you think you have bottomed it out, you have. So on the switch at fault, something is stopping it from truly bottoming out.

[ame]

[/ame]

Here is a picture of my Cherry MX Blue switches. The switch at fault is the one in the middle (N) No noticeable difference, but inside it must be a different story.

http://i.imgur.com/ZomdOMp.jpg

Thanks for reading my post and answering Wired. I really appreciate your help.

Just one question about requesting an RMA, Do you think Corsair would be able to replace my Keyboard?

And would I be able to contact Corsair themselves seeing as I purchased their product from one of their retailers.

Thank you. I will most probably contact Corsair if I don't see any improvement on the Switch...

As of right now I'm trying to see if it will sort itself out with use.

Hoping for a miracle, as I don't want to go through a painful RMA process and a period of time without the item I payed for.

You could contact your retailer and ask if they can replace the keyboard for you instead of an RMA.

The problem is that my retailer says that "Corsair K70 BLACK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Blue Keys' is discontinued"

So I doubt they could replace it. But I'll give it a try anyways.

I think your retailer is confusing the 2 different keyboards:

1. K70 RGB with blue switches IS discontinued
  2. K70 (non-RGB) with blue switches IS NOT discontinued

You have the non-RGB version so you should be fine ::pirate::

Yeah maybe the retailer is confused, I hope so. I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say. I really hope to get this issue sorted out as it's been bugging me ever since I bought the keyboard.

• 4 months later...

Dear all,

is it possible to replace the upper part of the switches without void the warranty? I'm really interested in a K70 with Cherry MX blue and Italian layout but it seems to not exist.

So I may buy a K70 with Cherry MX red with italian layout and change spring and blue cap. I've seen many videos on youtube on how to remove the inner part of the cherry MX and replace both springs, caps, o-rings etc without soldering, like this:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBXxzmuA_Q]Cherry MX switch swap without soldering[/ame]

But I would like to be 100% sure that this is possible without void the warranty or remove the aluminium plate.

Thanks in advance.

Dear all,

is it possible to replace the upper part of the switches without void the warranty? I'm really interested in a K70 with Cherry MX blue and Italian layout but it seems to not exist.

So I may buy a K70 with Cherry MX red with italian layout and change spring and blue cap. I've seen many videos on youtube on how to remove the inner part of the cherry MX and replace both springs, caps, o-rings etc without soldering, like this:

But I would like to be 100% sure that this is possible without void the warranty or remove the aluminium plate.

Thanks in advance.

The method used in that video will not work with the switches on the K70

Archived