Corsair Community

H80 Problems

Yobo808

Okay, so here is my problem.

I built my new system with this H80 after reading all the reviews and raves. I thought it would be great to use this compact water cooling system after using the traditional fan system for so many years.

I installed my H80 after reading the horrible instructions and watching the various (including the corsair one) youtube videos and VOILA! Defective unit!

Now, I purchased this unit from Amazon.com but I got it over the holidays so I didn't actually put it together until January. So...my bad, too late to ship back to Amazon.

So after doing every test, reset and plugging and unplugging recommended on this site, I bit the bullet and did an RMA.

Unfortnately, my cooler master case does not have an opening in the back, so I had to take my mother board out just to get this darn cooler off to ship back.

I unhappily paid for the priority shipping and waited for almost a week and a half for my new cooler to arrive.

So I open the box and it is a new H80...still sealed and I'm a happy camper.

Spend another hour or so putting my system all back together and ANOTHER DEFECTIVE UNIT!

I started up my computer and at first the fans revved up super high, then died down (YAY! IT WORKS) then I noticed that one fan wasn't turning. I reseat the pins and (NO! IT DOESN'T WORK) both fans start to rev up super high!

I reset the pins, do about 10 resets...nothing...fans still so loud it wakes my kids up!

I don't think it's right that I have to pay to ship this thing back. That would mean that I am paying over 30 dollars to ship a defective unit back plus all of my time and effort into putting my system together again.

I can't see what I could possibly doing wrong...after all, it's just plug in the power and turn it on.

Any Advice to avoid another RMA is welcome, since it's too late to return this thing to Amazon for a full refund.

I have already sent in a tech request, but I thought I would give the forums a shot while I'm waiting for a response.

For the record...I have just done this again for the 10+ time

1) I turn my cpu off (cold unit)

2) boot up to CMOS, press the button on the pump for 3-5 seconds...nothing seems to happen, but when I let go, two of the bars light up.

3) Turn off unit, wait for a minute

4) Hold down button, turn on unit and watch as pretty lights go on

5) CPU boots up, then once again, two of the three lights up but no change.

6) Fan revving high, I press the button to change the profile to see if this will change the fan speed...but nothing...

Help please....really don't want to tear my computer apart again and wait for 2 weeks for my part to come back PLUS have to pay for return shipping again.

For the record...this is the first time I've ever had so many problems with corsair products before. I've built a lot of systems for myself and my friends using corsair Ram and power supplies (look at my current build) but I am really frustrated at this point at my problems with this cooler.

First of all, you pay only for the first RMA, subsequent are paid by Corsair.

Secondly, the profile button will not change the fans speed just like that. The RPM of the fans is based on the temperature of the liquid, and affected by the selected profile.

Also spinning fans to 100% and then down is a normal procedure, even if you connect a fan to a running H100 or H80.

So make double sure the unit is indeed faulty.

I know exactly how you feel, I'm now on my third unit in 3 weeks..... the quality control is terrible... I have never had a piece of defective kit in all my years of building systems (well one GPU died on me after 3.5 years of use and one HDD after 7).

To put this into perspective... In one of my previous jobs I purchased 1000's of machines over 3 years for a large campus... the failure rate was around 1%

Something is not right with the quality control here, luckily I can send mine back to the retailer whenever it dies... but each time if I want an advanced replacement I have to buy a new one and wait a week or so for my money back on the RMA.

Not professional and not acceptable.

First of all, you pay only for the first RMA, subsequent are paid by Corsair.

Secondly, the profile button will not change the fans speed just like that. The RPM of the fans is based on the temperature of the liquid, and affected by the selected profile.

Also spinning fans to 100% and then down is a normal procedure, even if you connect a fan to a running H100 or H80.

So make double sure the unit is indeed faulty.

He already stated that one fan is not working/cutting out. and I'm guessing if it was like mine the other (or both) is stuck at 100%.

Actually I'm so pissed off with this and feel as though Corsair is hiding the facts that they have a high amount of defects, especially by including the do not contact your retailer (which is against consumer protection laws I am certain) that I shall be contacting trading standards because this is just not on.

They say that the defect percentage for these units is low, less than 2%.

I feel the OEM for the Hydro series isn't doing a terribly well job, as my H100 is

a) noisy - I fixed it myself

b) has incorrectly crimped Molex pins - how hard is that??? - and they fall off the connector.

Corsair should squeeze the OEM for this as this is, at least in my eyes, really hurting the brand. I, for one, always had it for the blind choice top quality brand.

For me

a - is not fixable unless I purchase a fan controller and why the hell should I? (not directed at you) I can plug into my main board but again why the hell should I and I want those headers for other fans.

b - I completely agree and is reflected in the review that I have given on a major UK computer component e-commerce site... mine were seated so bad that the pins were almost touching.

I was also informed by Corsair that the H80 would fit my case, it did not and I had to get a pair of pliars to it. I was also informed by Corsair that due to the manufacturing process that fins on the radiator can be bent on receiving the item.

My first and most definitely last Corsair product.

Actually I'm so pissed off with this and feel as though Corsair is hiding the facts that they have a high amount of defects, especially by including the do not contact your retailer (which is against consumer protection laws I am certain) that I shall be contacting trading standards because this is just not on.

So you've never seen the "Do not return this product to the store", "For technical support or customer service, contact (Company name) customer service directly at:" bulletin in a product before? They are not uncommon in any product that may need some technical expertise to install and set up. I find those in products all the time.

The point of those bulletins is to provide customer assistance and help the owner when they have difficulty, which can be alleviated in many cases with some guidance and information. That is useful in contrast to a customer returning what they mistakenly think is a defective product, only to replace it with another identical unit, which they again will be unable to get working, because they make the same mistakes again.

That statement in no way compels or forces a customer to not return the item to the retailer. Besides the contact information for Corsair's customer service, those two sentences is all that is on the bulletin. If the CS representative determines there is a defect in the product, I'm sure they would direct the customer to return it to the store, or any other options. Of course, the customer is free to do whatever they choose. To imply the intent is to make people keep defective products is something I cannot see at all.

Good luck contacting trading standards, who may have mandated that manufactures include that very bulletin with the product, in the interest of the customer.

@ wlw ...it's good to know that they will pay for subsequent RMA's...not that it makes the downtime any better...but at least I won't be losing any more money on RMA's.

Second...Yes, as I've stated, I was happy when I heard the fans spin at max rpm's and then slow down...but that was only one fan when I first started my system up...since then, my fans have been spinning at MAX speeds...they are SUPER LOUD..no amount of resetting and profile changing seems to affect this.

Wow..sorry guys, I did not intend for this to become an argument. I agree with a lot of what John is saying...I have built a lot of systems and I have never had a cpu cooler fail on me. I'm just upset about have 2 defective units in a row. I just find it hard to believe that I'm in the 2% of failure rates for this device...kinda funny if you think about it, except for my down time.

Sad part is that there are quite a few complaints of the fan controller failures on this forum alone...let alone on the rest of the web....

I still back up corsairs products, (first time any of them have ever failed on me) and I hope that they fix the problems that they are having.

The one suggestion that I like is that I'm going to plug both fans into my mobo cpu fan connectors...hope that helps...gonna try it when I get home.

But overall, thanks for the advice guys...

So you've never seen the "Do not return this product to the store", "For technical support or customer service, contact (Company name) customer service directly at:" bulletin in a product before? They are not uncommon in any product that may need some technical expertise to install and set up. I find those in products all the time.

Actually No I have never once in my life had a sticker in the box stating "Stop, do not return this product to the store. For technical support or customer service, contact Corsair customer service directly."

Depending on your interpretation of that, it could very easily read as it implies... do not return to the store. And you know what I'm glad I called the company who I purchased it off after reading that and emailing rmaservice@corsair.com as Corsair wanted to charge me to RMA the product, the retailer did it for free.

Beginning to get the picture?

Good luck contacting trading standards, who may have mandated that manufactures include that very bulletin with the product, in the interest of the customer.

I do not understand the aggression from you here, there is clearly a problem with these devices as can be seen on the very forum that you are posting on. Sorry if it seems as though I have a very low impression of corsair but here are the facts from my first Corsair experience.

1. Contacted customer support to enquire if the H80 would fit into my case, was told it would... it did not fit

2. H80 died after 6 days

3. Corsair told me to rma back to them and pay.... I contacted the company I purchased it from who did it all for free.

4. Second H80 had exactly the same problem out of the box.

5. New H80 has now started to buzz

6. The 4 pin molex assembly is poorly made and at one point the contacts were almost touching (this was the same on all H80's I received).

On top of all of this I have a majorly messed up back which means each time the product dies I have to get on the floor and redo everything.

Now I think it is probably clear why I'm a little more than fed up... 3 H80's in as many weeks.

Okay, well I confirmed that it's the controller issue...again.

I used a separate fan and it acts up the same as the fans that came with the corsair unit.

The weird thing is that I plugged both of the corsair fans to my mobo (as someone suggested)...was willing to put up with this if it worked so that I wouldn't have to RMA another cooler...but the fans are also still blowing at full speed (as I type).

Weird...so both the controller and the fans are defective? Could the controller have messed up the fans?

Asked for a refund, but no luck...guess I gotta rma another one and TAKE MY COMP apart again...getting irritated...

Actually No I have never once in my life had a sticker in the box stating "Stop, do not return this product to the store. For technical support or customer service, contact Corsair customer service directly."

I'm surprised to hear that. For example, if you buy a wireless network router, or virtually any network related product, that type of bulletin will be in the the box.

I do not understand the aggression from you here, there is clearly a problem with these devices as can be seen on the very forum that you are posting on. Sorry if it seems as though I have a very low impression of corsair but here are the facts from my first Corsair experience.

Aggression? Where did that come from? That is merely a statement of reality.

Your opinion on Corsair's products is your right to have, as long as it has some basis, and I understand your frustration. I certainly agree that the multiple QC issues I've seen and experienced myself are pretty bad. Personally when I experience that, the particular product is one strike you're out. When I read about the folks in other countries that must spend most if not all of the purchase price of the product to ship it for a RMA, personally I would never buy a product if that is what I would be required to do. Few products are worth that.

IMO, refunds are not done since refunding a retail price, compared to the wholesale price they are sold at, is a huge profit loss for a company.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, well I confirmed that it's the controller issue...again.

I used a separate fan and it acts up the same as the fans that came with the corsair unit.

The weird thing is that I plugged both of the corsair fans to my mobo (as someone suggested)...was willing to put up with this if it worked so that I wouldn't have to RMA another cooler...but the fans are also still blowing at full speed (as I type).

Weird...so both the controller and the fans are defective? Could the controller have messed up the fans?

Asked for a refund, but no luck...guess I gotta rma another one and TAKE MY COMP apart again...getting irritated...

That's exactly what I do now: Plug the fans on mainboard. Pump lukcily still works but those fans make real good noise.. Was pondering of removing one fan maybe...

OKay, I'm am done with Corsairs water cooling solution. I was so hopeful that it would work but I just got my THIRD H80 COOLER and what do you know...pretty much DOA!

Okay, since I got sick of taking my system apart everytime that I got a new cooler, I just opened up my cooler, took it out and rested everything on my desk. I plugged in the cooler molex power connector and turned my computer on. (yes, I grounded myself and I wear a anti static wrist strap)

(I don't see how this would affect the cooler...everything is the same except that the copper plate is not touching the hot cpu)

At first, one fan would actually change speeds when I depressed the center button (YAY!) but the other fan spun at the same speed no matter how many times I depressed the button.

So I tried a reset, but for some reason nothing happened. The buttons wouldn't blink at all. I turned my comp off and did it again (all of the steps that Ramguy recommended...boot to cmos...off...turn on again)

but this time, no lights came on for my controller. I could hear the pumps going, but no lights and worse of all...no working fans.

I plugged my fans into my mobo to see if they were working and they both were. Just the controller doesn't want to turn on. I've tried the reset 3 times but still no luck...

Now I ask you....WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF MY GETTING three defective units in a row? These units are not complicated to install...put in, tighten screws, turn on...voila..supposed to work. I don't see how it's possible to screw these units up.

My problem is, the second time I RMA'd my unit, I called and talked to a service person at Corsair...very nice and very courteous...I asked if I could switch to an air cooled unit if the third unit didn't work (and she said, "yes") however, I have the Vengeance Ram with the heat spreaders and from what I read in the forums (other ones, not this one) the air cooled cpu coolers may not fit over the heat spreaders. The only reason I went with the vengeance ram is because I got the H80..so now if I want to switch to Air cooled, does anyone know if their largest air cooler will fit over my vengeance Ram and if it doesn't, will Corsair exchange their ram for the low profile ram?

So frustrated with this whole incident. Haven't been able to fully utilize my computer due to lack of a decent cpu cooler. In fact, I had to buy a cheap standard cpu cooler off of ebay because the turn around for my rma was so long. It's been two months and I have not been able to fully enjoy my computer...I cannot believe that this is happening to me...:mad:

One last question...If I do opt to try for another H80, can corsair test it before they send it out to me? AT least if I know that it worked at the time that they sent it, it would give me some peace of mind.

From what I just read on this forum, the A70 will not fit with my Vengeance ram...

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest that you communicate this with our customer service and let them know that this is going to be your third replacement and you would like the unit tested before sending it to you, to ensure that the unit is working properly.

Thanks Ram Guy for the advice. I have tried to call the number and extension that was given to me by the tech person, but no one ever answers. I have even responded with my personal number but no contact at all since last week. I'm going to submit a new RMA and this time, no matter what I'm going to hook it up to my mobo fan controllers. No cpu cooler since January = unhappy customer.

P.S. Yes, I will ask for them to test it in my RMA request.

Archived