Corsair Community

AF, SP, HD or ML?

lowfpshighping

Need help in choosing fans for my case, i'm currently stuck in between these choices, the single leds, don't look much of my type but they're manageable, the only problem if I get an rgb fan, is that I can't fit in the controller in my case since it's already tight inside, I have no idea what the rgb fans look like without the controller, so I need help. thanks!

You have to use the controller with the HD and SP-RGB series. It is much smaller than the TT version and just slighter larger than my thumb. One controller is all you need, but you should not mix HD and SP-RGB fans. The HD series with the basic controller will do the rainbow of colors (static) and several other patterns. There is a tiny in-line remote control responsible for this. All HD & SP-RGB fans have two wires. One goes to the motherboard for power/speed control. The other goes to the light box controller. All of the stylish color blends and similar effects are only possible with software and the Pro/Lighting node device upgrade.

From a performance standpoint, the ML series is a clear winner for front intake on a radiator. I suspect the HD140's would do just fine as well, but I do not have them to test and they have a lower maximum speed -- although you really should not need anything beyond 1300 rpm anyway.

The two exhaust fans are less important and can be chosen to match or for other reasons. Technically, the AF series likely makes the best exhaust in S340, however since your intake volume will always be limited when radiator restricted, you can put anything back there and you will always have a surplus of exhaust capability. You can choose freely for aesthetic reasons or price.

So which fan would you recommend as an exhaust fan? and, if I buy one with a controller i'd be able to connect fans to them?

like this,

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hd120-rgb-led-high-performance-120mm-pwm-fan-with-controller

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hd140-rgb-led-high-performance-140mm-pwm-fan

and this together?

also what do the controllers look like? which ports do they need?

what do the controllers look like?

http://corsair.com/~/media/81F1C98109774BF5BEC84FD123144D21.ashx

The LED hub is on the left and the controller to it's right.

If you get a CLCP or CLNP then you would no longer use the controller.

1. Each HD fan has two wires, one for the LEDs and the other for the fan.
  2. The fan wire needs to be connected to a motherboard fan header or the H110i
  3. The LED wires are connected from port 1 of the LED hub and you must use consecutive ports.
  4. Each LED hub can control the LEDs of up to six fans, so you will only need one hub.
  5. The LED hub needs to be connected to SATA power from the PSU
  6. The HD Lighting Controller is plugged into the connector on the right of the LED hub.
  7. The wire above the HD Lighting Controller can be connected to the HD Lighting Controller and external buttons. This is optional and I have never tried this.

You only need the controller for the HD and SP-RGB series. The controller helps with both light control and physically separating the current draw for the LEDs from the fan's basic power needs. They are bright and the SATA power to the box supplies the lighting power.

ML and AF fans do not need nor should they be connected to the light control box. ML-LED series fans are obviously one color, but PWM so the brightness stays the same with more of a "center lit hub" look, like the SP-RGB.

It really doesn't matter what you use for exhaust. All of the fans will move more air at medium speed than you can put into the case. If you go HD or SP-RGB on the front, I would also do the same for the exhaust ports. If you do ML140 on the front intake, you could do either ML or AF fans for the exhaust depending on your preference. You could also get a $20 LED strip kit and light the interior that way.

Archived