Corsair Community

Possible Motherboard and Power Supply Incompatibility

tangykevin

Hello.

I recently bought a Corsair CX650M (http://www.microcenter.com/product/460288/CX650M_650_Watt_80_Plus_Bronze_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply) from my local Microcenter and I am having trouble booting my PC with it.

NOTE, I exchanged PSU thinking it was DOA, but still the same problem occured

My PC Specs are:

Intel Q9400

M017G Dell OEM Motherboard, for reference (https://www.amazon.com/M017G-MOTHERBOARD-STUDIO-Mini-Tower-Systems/dp/B003F8MTDK)

6GB DDR2

Radeon HD 6450

350W Solid Gear TFX PSU

Before I continue, I transplanted this Dell OEM computer (Dell Studio Slim D540S) into a new case (Cooler Master N200) mainly for better airflow and future upgrade. Also, the case connectors are all working (audio, usb, front panel connectors).

When I first plugged in the Corsair PSU into the motherboard and booted it, it turned on and off and turned on again. In this time, the monitor didn't display anything. I tried resetting the CMOS (switching jumper caps and removing battery) and still nothing happened upon booting. When I used my old power supply, the computer booted and the screen was displaying Windows. I continued to diagnose the problem by using two power supplies in one motherboard. I plugged the 4pin CPU connector from the Corsair PSU and the 24pin connector from the old 350W PSU and magically, it worked. I am assuming there is something wrong with the 24pin connector from the Corsair PSU but when I jump-started the Corsair PSU (paperclip in green and black pin), it turned on. I am speculating that the 24pin connector from the Corsair PSU is not providing enough power to the motherboard but I have no idea how to test if the 24pin is providing suffice power. I am also speculating that I might need to replace the CMOS battery. I really don't know what's going on lol. Please help.

Thank you,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

First thing I would do is to reseat all of your connectors on the board only using the CX650M and try to power it on. If that doesn't work but the other power supply does then I would take the CX650M back to Microcenter and see if they would test it for you. If it works on their end then there has to be a mix up with how the PSU is connected to the motherboard. If not then I'd either try and see if they would swap it out for you or submit a ticket on our support page.

Dude ... it's a Dell. It may well be that they have some small, little custom tweak on their system to ensure that it only boots with "Dell-certified" equipment. Most OEMs have moved away from that in the past few years but that's a pretty old system; it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

You might want to try talking to Dell as well.

It may well be that they have some small, little custom tweak on their system to ensure that it only boots with "Dell-certified" equipment. Most OEMs have moved away from that in the past few years but that's a pretty old system; it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

You might want to try talking to Dell as well.

I agree with DevBiker, while I have had luck with this in the past. When it has been a 24 Pin on the board not when they have done the 18 or 20 pin set ups.

If the PSU is good after you take it to get tested, it is likely on the board side. Even if it would have been compatible it might just be age too.

Good luck

Archived