Corsair Community

800D Backplane Replaced, Still Not Working

hobbsieoz

So, ive seen all of the posts relating to the SATA backplane issues in the 800D.

The backplane doesnt seem to detect SSD's (even Corsair's own drives). Nobody seems to have a fix for it yet. So I was wondering if there has been any official word from Corsair that they are actually going to look into a fix for this.

I submitted an RMA for the backplace and they sent out a new one but this still doesnt work.

Its quite annoying that spending all of the money that we have all done on what is a fantastic case, and with all of its cable tidying features we actually have to throw some of the cable tidying out of the way because we have to lay our drives at the top with cables going to the motherboard directly. It looks a bit messy and is why im most disappointed.

So, any official word from Corsair yet?

Ive tried three different sets. Ones that came with the case, ones that came with the motherboard and ones that I already had.

Its got to be something to do with the fact that all the drives share the same power connector. I notice the user guide has a picture of a backplate which separate power connectors for each drive. Im presuming this is the previous SATA 3GB panel.

I doubt it a power problem related to power demand when HDD's only use 11W when writing and SSD's use even less, unless it's not plugged in properly..

there is also a post about the alignment of the power connectors, have a look here

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=451633&postcount=1

No. 2 may be your issue..

Sorry i dont quite understand number 2. Im using the power cable that came with the case. It has a right angled power connector. :confused:

That post was referring to the older style pcb which was four separate boards.

I had alot of problems with my drives dropping out, and not being detected on boot. I tried the older style hot-swap boards, a new sata3 style and just recently another RMA replacement board and the problem was still there.

I tried many things to fix this, the only solution I came up with was to use SATA3 grade cables and since then I have not had one drive drop out. I am currently using non right angled cables as I cannot find any where I live.

To help figure where the problem is, I would first unhook all the cables from the hot-swap pcb and remove it from the case. While it is outside the case, I would hook up a sata power directly from the psu (not the one provided with the case) and hook up a sata cable that was included with your motherboard. Plug a SSD or hard drive (whichever you are having problems with) into the hot-swap board and see if it is detected, if it works fine there is some sort of alignment problem. Try this with each hookup on the hot-swap board.

If your drive is still not detected, I can only assume you need to get a new one from RMA. According to them there is a new revision, but the one I received was IDENTICAL to the previous one. I contacted RMA several times to determine if this was in fact a NEW revision or not, and have yet to receive a response.

Just bought the 800D and after putting everything together it didn't pick up my SSD Force GT 120GB drive as well. At first I thought I was just aligning it wrong but it felt like it was sliding into place. At this point I assumed my controller board must be old and not support Sata 3. It was late and I didn't think twice about ordering the $12 upgrade kit. In the interim, I just bypassed the controller card to get up and running.

Upgrade kit arrives a couple days later, and lo' and behold the controller card looks exactly the same as the card already installed. Since I didn't know what the older card looked like, I didn't realize I already had the upgraded card in place. Not a big deal. Swapped the card out anyway and it still didn't recognize my SSD drive.

My mistake of ordering that extra card, actually was a blessing as it made it very easy to troubleshoot at this point. Using the spare card, I held it in my hand and connected the SSD drive that way, so I could know for sure that it was connected. Plugged into the motherboard, fired up the computer and the SSD drive was picked right up. At this point I knew that the SSD drive was not plugging into the controller card correctly. After slightly changing the angle of how I slid the tray in, the SSD drive connected correctly and booted right up.

With all of the nice engineering done on this case, they really didn't fine tune how SSD drives connect to that controller card. I only slighted adjust how I slid the drive back into place either up and down and that made all the difference. You can really only gauge it by how it feels when it finally slides in correctly. I had the benefit of having that extra card so I knew exactly how it felt, otherwise it would have been very tough to figure out.

I wanted to post this though, as I was getting pretty annoyed and this might help save some headaches for a few of you out there.

I can't believe this is still an issue after all this time. IMO, this whole fiasco was poorly handled and not effectively addressed by Corsair. This, and the issue of not knowing if you have an updated USB 3 (800D) case until you actually unpack it.

I didn't even bother with the Backplane and connected my drives directly to avoid this whole mess. I have since scrapped this case and switched to a custom built aluminum unit. The 800D product needs a refresh but it doesn't seem like there's anything coming. Nor do they appear to be in a hurry to address this issue whatsoever.

I'll keep using their PSU's but I'm done with their cases. My rant is done.............

I can't believe this is still an issue after all this time. IMO, this whole fiasco was poorly handled and not effectively addressed by Corsair. This, and the issue of not knowing if you have an updated USB 3 (800D) case until you actually unpack it.

I didn't even bother with the Backplane and connected my drives directly to avoid this whole mess. I have since scrapped this case and switched to a custom built aluminum unit. The 800D product needs a refresh but it doesn't seem like there's anything coming. Nor do they appear to be in a hurry to address this issue whatsoever.

I'll keep using their PSU's but I'm done with their cases. My rant is done.............

I think some of the problem is/was the lack of standards when SSD's first came out the location of the SATA power and data port seams to vary between manufactures by a small margin trying to get all brand to work has been a problem for a lot of oem's now the standard is more refind but it still leaves room for error when mixing old n new hardware witch a lot of oem's are still trying to allow for..

I have 2 Samsung Mech's and 1 ssd in the hot bays and have no issues currently ( new style backplane ) , i did find when i installed the ssd i originally screwed it to a 2.5 > 3.5 plate so i could use 4 screws but it was'nt seen in bios , turns out the plate was making the drive a fraction too high , removed the plate and installed ssd direct to bracket with 2 screws and no problems since .

Archived