Corsair Community

Should I be sending this RAM in?

Cory Nelson

Just built two brand new systems (Shuttle SB81P cases) with default settings and the following RAM:

CORSAIR TWINX1024-! 3200XL 2X64X64 400MHZ 2X512MB (MATCHED PAIR) 2-2-2-5 DDR DIMM W/HEAT SPREADER

System #1 seems to finally pass memtest86 but only if I set the voltage at 2.9. Anything lower and it starts hitting errors. Everywhere I see posts it talks about setting them to 2.7-2.8 but never as high as 2.9. It pass at this setting but I'm curious as to whether or not this is considered too high (ie, am I going to burn the thing out or shorten its life or is this setting within acceptible norms).

The reseller will accept exchanges within a week and the 2nd system has one stick that comes up with a pile of errors regardless of setttings so I need to go exchange one set anyway, just not sure if you'd recommend that I go ahead and exchange the first set as well.

As a follow up on the above question. I noticed that the website now recommends CMSS1GB-400 RAM for this motherboard (a week ago when I ordered it recommended the memory listed above). Any issues with the 3200xl RAM with this board (ie, the problem I've been running into) or was that just an updated recommendation? :)

Archived