Corsair Community

H115i Loud on boot up.

Swiskey

so when i boot up my computer or wake it up from sleep sometimes it will make a really loud noise almost like the fans are spinning extremely loud?

usually i give it a couple minutes to see if it will work itself out because i heard sometimes the motherboard starting spikes the temperature of the CPU and cause the h115i to ramp up too keep up with the hot temperature but it never ends up going back to regular speeds.

the weird thing is that when i open corsair link nothing is running high all my temperatures are fine my rpm and pump speeds are regular?

so my hotfix for this is too either restart my computer (sometimes it will fix the noise) or completely have to just shut it down then reboot for it too regulate and if that doesn't work i have to go into my bios and set the fan speed to quiet it and it will calm down to regular sound level then i exit and when windows loads i have no problem!

if anyone has questions feel free to ask, advice or any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you!

When you wake from sleep or boot up, most fan controllers will supply a 10-12v blast to make sure all fans on board start. Technically this not necessary for PWM fans, but it is a common behavior none the less. However, this should last a matter of seconds. If it extends beyond that, there may be some questions to ask.

It is important to distinguish fan noise from pump noise. I am sure you can figure that out without too much trouble. I will assume it is the fans for now.

In Link, what did you designate as the control GROUP for the H115i fans. The default is H115i Temp (coolant temperature) and all the preset curves are designed for that range. Using CPU package temp could very well cause this and I generally don't recommend using it, unless you are insistent and don't mind the extra tweaking involved.

What fan profile are you using? One of the defaults or a custom profile. Nothing wrong with using your own and I recommend doing so. However, if it is not behaving as expected, go back to Quiet or Balanced and see if it continues.

Are you running any other monitoring software at the same time as Corsair Link? (AI Suite, MSI Command Center, HW monitor?). Which version of Link?

When you wake from sleep or boot up, most fan controllers will supply a 10-12v blast to make sure all fans on board start. Technically this not necessary for PWM fans, but it is a common behavior none the less. However, this should last a matter of seconds. If it extends beyond that, there may be some questions to ask.

It is important to distinguish fan noise from pump noise. I am sure you can figure that out without too much trouble. I will assume it is the fans for now.

In Link, what did you designate as the control GROUP for the H115i fans. The default is H115i Temp (coolant temperature) and all the preset curves are designed for that range. Using CPU package temp could very well cause this and I generally don't recommend using it, unless you are insistent and don't mind the extra tweaking involved.

What fan profile are you using? One of the defaults or a custom profile. Nothing wrong with using your own and I recommend doing so. However, if it is not behaving as expected, go back to Quiet or Balanced and see if it continues.

Are you running any other monitoring software at the same time as Corsair Link? (AI Suite, MSI Command Center, HW monitor?). Which version of Link?

Hello thank you for replying!

The fans do go really fast after booting from sleep and remain that same speed until i shutdown the PC even if i restart it the fans will continue at that speed. Although when i do boot up windows and go to corsair link it doesn't say the fan rmp or pump rpm are high at all just regular temps!

i'm using the the default control group for the fan which like you said is the "H115i Temp"

i am also using the default balanced fan profile with corsair link 4, i do have MSI Afterburner but i don't ever run it with corsair link open!

i'm thinking my best bet is should check my bios too see if the monitoring in the bios is different then the monitoring being displayed on corsair link that way i can maybe get a little more information on the problem for you!.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

The BIOS CPU fan header should read either ~1000 (Quiet pump) or 1400-1500 (Performance pump setting). Those are half values and that arises from the way a pump counts rotations. Link has the real value. There is no fan speed reading or control of any type in the BIOS when powering the fans from the pump block.

I have had this kind of thing happen before, but on my Asus boards with a wacky AI Suite in control. One easy thing to try is switching the two fans on the pump connectors (if that is where they are). Only one of the fans takes a speed signal and there is only one controller. Sometimes a particular fan doesn't read well. Switch them and see if it goes away.

Archived