Corsair Community

H100i V2 and LGA 1151

gladi

No, it absolutely does work and there are thousands of people using H100v2 on 1151. All 115x size sockets are the same dimensions and so if it fits one, it fits them all. As for why the website has never been updated, I have no idea whatsoever. After this question was asked dozens and dozens of time when Z170-Skylake launched, I assumed incorrectly that had been remedied. Corsair representatives did answer in the forum at that time and you might be able to dig up some original responses if you want to sort through an advanced search.

As for cooling capacity, the H100v2 will do the job just fine. Like most recent CPUs, you are going to run past your safe voltage limit before you exceed the cooling capacity of the unit. It's a popular cooler and I suspect if you dig through some reviews you may find a test set-up with an H100 GTX or V2 doing the job. Keep in mind the Skylake chips have a tendency to gobble up extra voltage when running synthetic bench tests when in Auto/Adaptive voltage mode. This makes less than precise test results look unflattering and you need to be careful comparing it to prior model CPUs. You might also be able to see some real world data from users on something like the Overclock.net Skylake owners' thread.

Hey can I replace the stock Fans with SP120 LED fans?

Yes and no. The H100v2 is designed to control the fans based on the water temperature inside the system. For this to work, you power the fans through the pump block (via SATA cable to PSU) and then control the fans and lighting through the LINK software program. This is a PWM control system and thus the fans need to be 4 pin PWM as well. The SP120 LED fan is a 3 pin DC motor and thus not controllable through the LINK system without additional hardware and a workaround.

There are two easier options to deal with this:

1) Simply plug the 3 pin DC fan (SP120 or other) into your motherboard fan headers. Power and control from there. On recent motherboards, this usually is not a problem. You may still want the LINK system installed to control LED lighting and for monitoring water temperature.

2) If LED is the key, choose another PWM LED 120mm fan and run through the pump block. Corsair does currently offer any, but there are PWM LED fans out there. Be careful of the total amperage of the fans. The new coolers appear to be much improved on the fan controller and I am not aware of any 120mm consumer fan with a draw above 0.45A. This should keep you out of trouble and long as you don't try and run two in the same spliiter end or 4 fans from the block.

The stock fans have a RPM limit in the neighborhood of 2400 rpm and are intended for maximum performance. This is significantly faster than anything most people have in their case. Additionally, the blades were designed to be flat and with radiator restricted efficiency in mind. This type of blade will always be louder than a thin, raked blade. On top of that, the radiator itself is resistance and adds to the air noise. Your radiator fans are always going to be the loudest fans in your case, no matter which model you choose. There is no such thing as a quiet fan with a 2000 rpm speed.

• 2 years later...
1) Simply plug the 3 pin DC fan (SP120 or other) into your motherboard fan headers. Power and control from there. On recent motherboards, this usually is not a problem. You may still want the LINK system installed to control LED lighting and for monitoring water temperature.

They will constantly spin up and down as the motherboard will run them off CPU temp instead liquid. It depends on your ears and where the rig is, for me it would be a no go.

Yes, but HOW do you fit the backplate? The screws don't align and they don't have adjustable holes.....

Can you provide a picture? It fits just fine and yes, the pins for the holes are adjustable. I had the h100i v2 sitting on an 8700k.

Archived