Corsair Community

A very strange problem

Arkaria

This past week I installed 2 new 500gb SSDs in my rig. On one of them I installed Windows 10. I bought the full starter pack of the Corsair ML Pro RGB 120mm fans and installed those as well with the fan hub and lighting pro node put together correctly. I installed them and set them up no problem, and played with the colors on the fans for a day or two. Everything was working fine and looked great!

Today, I booted up Steam (which was still installed on my old 1TB HDD that had Win 7 on it) and when I went to launch a game, everything got.. weird. My GPU (5 month old GTX 1080) started making a loud whining sound. It did this as soon as I launched any game on Steam, and stopped as soon as I closed the game. It had nothing to do with whether the fans were spinning or not. My GPU has never made this sound before, or at least not that loud, as I never noticed it until today.

Where it gets *really* weird, my RGB fans stopped lighting up completely and I haven't been able to get them working since. Neither Corsair Link or ICUE will detect them anymore. I tried reinstalling the software, opened my PC back up, disconnected/reconnected all the wires. I double checked that no cables were loose anywhere. The ML Pro fans (all 3 of which are in the front of my case) still spin as they're plugged into the fan headers on the MoBo, but no matter what I can't get them to light up again.

In addition to that, ever since everything freaked out when I tried to launch a game, my GPU is also running hotter than usual. I can usually play most games on max settings and my GPU sits at 45C. It jumped up to 60C before the fans kicked on, and it stayed there(I've read this is normal but mine has never run this hot before).

More importantly, I'm trying to figure out why my fans are refusing to light up not matter what I do, and why they suddenly stopped working at the exact second that I launched a game on steam.

The only solution I could think of, assuming the fan and GPU issues are related, is that I need a new PSU? I have a 850W which hasn't shown any signs of problems, but its all such a strange coincidence that the lights on my fans suddenly shut off the second my GPU kicked in when I launched a game

Any help is appreciated :(:

So I did another clean install of Windows 10, reinstalled steam and got everything back up and running. My temps are still running 10-15 degrees warmer than they were on Win 7 but apparently they're still normal temps. I'm wondering if things weren't just reading incorrectly before. And I reset my lighting node pro to get my fans working again.

Now I have a new issue though, where my RAM isn't being picked up in the ICUE or CLink software lol my PC is detecting it, but not the software so I can't change the colors

Archived