The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Notices

Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705177
cpachris Reputation: 30

All right. It's time to test paint some fans. But first, I need to pick a pink paint. Say "pick a pink paint" three times really fast...puh-lease. My powder was prevoiusly picked, but I plan to pursue pink paint for plastic parts.

Any-who.,.,..I'm actually going to have one more small batch of parts that I use the same Rosette Pink powder on. Small things like faceplates, SSD casings, etc. That works for anything aluminum. I can have that powdercoated. But there will be some plastic parts that also need to receive the "pink treatment", so I need to find a pink paint that is a good match. And fans will be the major plastic part that gets painted.

I started by heading to my local Hobby Lobby and picking up all kinds of shades of pink and flourescent pink paint.

I didn't shy away from picking up some of the smaller tubes of paint. It's a heavier medium, and I would probably never brush this on to fans for fear of not getting it evenly spread....but I can always thin it down and put it in a spray gun if I find a tube of pink that is the best match. I decided to put down spots of color on a black piece of cardboard, since the main thing I'll paint is the fans, and those are black.

I started with the two samples that were rattle cans.....

Then used a brush to paint circles of color for the rest of the paint samples....

and a second coat and third for some spots. I really looked like a pre-schooler at this point with all my bowls of paint out and circles of pink on my board. :)

None of the flourescent pinks were anywhere close to what I needed. I didn't even get out a UV light to try them, because they look so off in normal light.

There were several colors that were close....but this one was the closest. It's called Medium Magenta and is from Liquitex. It also had a very cool finish to it. Nice paint.

In the case....

Liquitex is actually available in rattle cans also....so now I just need to go find some. Hobby Lobby didn't carry the spray can version. But I believe Michael's does....so I'm off!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:11 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705256

Painting time! It has been beautiful outside this weekend here in Edmond, OK, so I thought it would be a good time to paint some sample fans. I found the Liquitex spray cans in the color I was after. While picking up paint, I also got a metallic nickel color from Velspar. I've mentioned this before, but I'll have a lot of nickel plated blocks in this build, so nickel will already be an existing color. Not sure I want it on my fans, but the whole point in trying out some sample combinations of colors is to see what looks the best. So I'm playing around with pink, black and nickel on the fan painting.

I grabbed one of my Corsair fans and told it that he was going to be sacrificed to the test painting spirits. Another fan immediately called out...."I volunteer myself as tribute!" I decided to sacrifice them both. :)

I promise more pictures of the fan prepping when I do it for real. This is just for testing. But I popped off the blades. Popped off the accent rings. Removed the stickers. Taped up the privates. And removed the rubber corners from the fan frames. Now we are ready.....

A quickie painting booth in the backyard....

You can see that there are three parts in each booth. The blades, the frame, and the accent ring. That gives me lots of combinations to try. I've already taken the photos up in the faux studio....so I'll post them tomorrow after I've had a chance to play with them. There are some pretty combinations! Pretty pink combinations! Pretty pink powerful combinations! Plenty of pretty pink powerful combinations! Plenty of pre......ok. I'll stop.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705308

Here are some shots of the painted fan combinations. I have three parts that I can swap.....the frame, the blades and the accent ring. And I was playing with three colors.....pink, black and nickel.

Here are three with pink frames, nickel accent ring, and all three blade colors....

Here are three with black frame, pink accent ring, and all three blade colors.....

Here are three with black frame, nickel accent ring, and all three blade colors.....

For some reason I missed taking the shots with the nickel colored frame. Not sure why. I do have some shots of those in the next group I'll post, which is of the fans in the case. I also passed on taking shots of combinations that had the same colored frame and accent ring. It just adds more contrast and depth to the fans when the frame and accent ring are different colors.

I'd love to know which ones are your favorites! This is a democracy.....everyone gets to vote! But Jenn's vote counts as 50. :p

You'll see after I post the shots of the fans inside the case, but my favorite fans outside of the case, are not necessarily my favorites inside the case.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:31 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705310
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

pink is far from a favorite color but if i were to pick one then it would be the painting of the trim ring only...

Old 04-13-2014, 04:56 PM
The Walrus
pegotico's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705321
pegotico Reputation: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
pink is far from a favorite color but if i were to pick one then it would be the painting of the trim ring only...
Agree!!, it's the one that looks better, the other wont make any contrast
with the pink case. And as i understand painting the whole fan wont do any good to the fan. The rings is OK.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705331

Quote:
So #4 is your favorite? That is one of my favorite for inside the case or on the inside of the radiators. Don't want to overdue to the pink on the black inside. The pink coolant is supposed to be the star of the show inside.

But on the outside of the radiators, being seen behind the pink hex mesh....the black blades don't really show up at all. I think I like the pink blades better for outside of radiators....or maybe even nickel better. Take a look at the next set of pictures I post and let me know what you think once they are behind the pink hex mesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotico View Post
Agree!!, it's the one that looks better, the other wont make any contrast
with the pink case. And as i understand painting the whole fan wont do any good to the fan. The rings is OK.
See above. Let me know what you think after seeing the next set of pictures. You would think that black would provide contrast....but instead...it just looks like nothing is there. I think the pink and nickel colors look much better behind the pink hex mesh.

I've painted my fans for the last few builds. As long as you prep them properly, it doesn't impact them at all.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705333
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

my preference would be

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...4-_MG_0325.jpg

in fact,in my color scheme which is indigo blue,i may have to paint the rubbers along with the rings...

Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705336

Quote:
my preference would be

in fact,in my color scheme which is indigo blue,i may have to paint the rubbers along with the rings...
I don't think painting the rubber corners would come out all that well. They take a fair amount of twisting and compression to put them in or take them out. Even the accent rings were looking a little beat up by the time I had taken them in and out about 20 times for this photo shoot. :) But they should be fine if you are only taking them on or off a few times.

Is your indigo blue too different from the included blue accent ring to use it?

I'm going to do a sample dye batch of some white sleeving sometime this week to see how close I can get the pink color for some accent sleeving. When I do it, I'll throw in a set of the rubber corners and an accent ring and see how well they accept dye.

More pictures later tonight!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705338

my build is here
my indigo blue parts are at the beginning.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=124369
if you went with a air sprayer and paint you could use a flex agent in the paint that will allow bending for several days but if i were adamant about painting the rubber,id just tape them off to avoid bending off and on...

Old 04-13-2014, 08:28 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705341

Quote:
my build is here
my indigo blue parts are at the beginning.
Nice! The blue rads are pretty sick.

I powder coated the rads in my last build with the same white powder used for the case interior. Came out real nice. But I think I'm going to leave the rads black this time. Goes with the build theme. We'll see how the finish is on them though. I'm willing to powder coat them black if the finish is not excellent.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 PM
The Walrus
pegotico's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705456
pegotico Reputation: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

I'm going to do a sample dye batch of some white sleeving sometime this week to see how close I can get the pink color for some accent sleeving. When I do it, I'll throw in a set of the rubber corners and an accent ring and see how well they accept dye.

More pictures later tonight!
will be waiting

Old 04-14-2014, 11:52 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705493

Here are the photos of the fan combinations behind the pink hex mesh of the case. For each combination, I have a series of two pictures. First I show the fan without the case cover on (so you can tell which one it is), and then a second picture of the exact same fan with the pink cover on the case. If you're like me, my favorite fan combinations changed once I saw them behind the pink hex mesh. That's why I'll probably end up with two different combinations of fan colors in this build.

Black frame, nickel ring, pink blades:

Black frame, nickel ring, nickel blades:

Black frame, nickel ring, black blades:

Black frame, pink ring, black blades:

Black frame, pink ring, pink blades:

Black frame, pink ring, nickel blades:

Pink frame, nickel ring, black blades:

Pink frame, nickel ring, pink blades:

Pink frame, nickel ring, nickel blades:

These next ones have the nickel frame, and were not included in my solo fan shots. Purely by accident.

Nickel frame, pink ring, black blades:

Nickel frame, pink ring, pink blades:

Nickel frame, pink ring, nickel blades:

Find your favorite fan from the previous shots in the ones above, and see if it is still your favorite fan when it's behind the pink hex mesh. For me...I think the nickel and pink colors provide lots more contrast and pop when behind the pink mesh. I like to see the shape of the fan behind the mesh, and with the black color, you really can't. It just blends away like it's not there. I like to see them! For the ones behind the mesh....I think one of my favorites is the black frames, pink ring and nickel blades. I like how the frame disappears into the black...and you are left with the pink circle that really pops, and then the more subtle color of the nickel blades that show up well behind the pink hex mesh.

For the ones inside the case/radiators (not behind the pink hex mesh), I'm not sure which ones are my favorite.

I know Jenn is peeking in and looking at pictures, so now is your chance to influence her decision with wise counsel. :)

Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 AM
Homo sapien
thenosbod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705497
thenosbod Reputation: 60

Black frame, pink ring, pink blades would be my selection out of this lot.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 705868

Thanks for all the comments, observations, opinion and suggestions guys! Jennifer has narrowed it down to just a few combination possibilities...and has requested to see them spinning.

I'm working on that right now....so I'll shoot video as I do it and post it here.

I also have an exciting new sponsor to announce....but I want to take some pictures first. These guys stepped up in a major way to support this build, and I can't wait to share it!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:56 PM
cpachris's PC Specs

POST ID # = 706045

What would a Corsair sponsored build be....without some Corsair memory? My friends at Corsair REALLY came through for this build. They are sponsoring it in a big way. I've already shown you the AX1500i, all those gorgeous SP120 and AF120 fans, the amazing little Neutron SSD's....and now....the memory......

Corsair packaging is always amazing for their flagship products. Still can't get over how nice the PSU packaging was....and now look at this RAM package. Each stick is enclosed in the normal plastic casing....but then the plastic casings are embedded in this nice little rubberish cutout. The shape of the cutouts is consistent across the entire line of Dominator Platinum memory....and even some of the accessories. Very nice touch. When you spend top dollar on components, it should come in nice packaging. Corsair understands that.

He asked what it was, and I told him "memory". He said, "I just take Ginkgo Biloba".

Pink Panther suggested that this RAM is so good looking....that we should really just let him get out the way and shoot some glamour shots with the sticks. I obliged.

These sleeving colors are not being used in the build....but I thought they looked nice with the RAM.

I like the nice muted reflection of the sleeving on the light bars in this pic.....

You can see the Corsair Link connections well in this shot. I'll tinker with that for this build probably. Haven't used that monitoring tool before. I'd like to see what it's like.

I used 64GB of Dominator GT's in my last build. This will be my first experience with the Dominator Platinum line. I purposely chose 4X4 GB for 16GB total. I found that with my last build, I had trouble getting 64GB to overclock....or even get up to the XMP profile settings. I could overclock them when I used just 4 sticks (32GB), but not at 8 sticks (64GB). Just too taxing on the IMC I guess. Well.....Jenn should have plenty of Pinterest power with 16GB of memory, and this let me use less dense sticks, ....and just 4 sticks instead of 8. I think this is the optimal setup for this build. It is still utilizing quad channel memory configuration....but hopefully has enough headroom for some overclocking. This is rated at 2133 MHz and a nice tight CL9. I'll see how far I can push it.

Tags
dominator platinum light, water cooling