Corsair Community

Hi everyone, I‘m looking for help from you experts!

I want to build a new pc and after reading for weeks, I find myself coming back to Corsair components again and again. The 500D RGB case seems really nice, but since my last build dates back to 2012, all the corsair link / commander / RGB etc. stuff is new to me and I‘m not sure whether there are inherent mistakes in my plans.

Besides normal everyday stuff, the system will be used for gaming (1440p, 144Hz) and photography (LR, PS, occasionally some video).

i9-9900K

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi

Corsair H150i Pro

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 TI Sea Hawk X

Samsung 970 EVO (1000GB, M.2 2280)

Samsung 860 EVO Basic (4000GB, 2.5")

Corsair PSU AX860i

Corsair LL140 2x

Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB

Any incompatibilities or flaws there??

The idea that CPU and GPU both have their AIO cooling system seemed appealing. The idea was to have the 360mm rad on intake at the front using the 3 120mm fans from the case. The GPU and its 120mm rad would be on the rear exhaust, the two 140mm fans would be on exhaust on the top. An idea was also to replace the fan from the Sea Hawk with another Corsair 120mm LL or ML fan.

The two products which may not like all the Corsair stuff are the motherboard and the GPU.

Fans (6x) would be connected on the Corsair Commander and controlled by iCUE, but not sure whether this makes sense for the GPU Rad Fan and also whether it would collide with any motherboard software.

Same goes for the RGB: The idea was to connect everything to the commander, but then the motherboard itself seems to have RGB of its own and again I‘m worried there are going to be software conflicts. Currently there is no plan for RGB strips, but if not evenly lighted, I may consider this as later addition.

For all the regular PC components, the 860W PSU seems sufficient, but then again I have no idea how much power all the fans and RGB lighting are pulling.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Maybe you have already done this but i went pcpartpicker.com. Entered my specs and it will indicate any incompatible components, required PSU and near-real time pricing for goodness' sake!

Joy

Thanks Scowner!

Yes, done that. The only comment was, that the M2 NVME drive will block one of the 6GB SATA drives. Power draw would be around 450W, so there is some headroom. Also with a moderate overclock of the 9900K, I‘m probably still fine (?).

Now I read in this forum, that mainboard software can interfere with iCUE. Does this mean I have to uninstall / not have Asus software running?

Hi Buddy. Have read of the Below linked thread. covers the Corsair RGB Ecosystem in detail including device specs and set up diagrams.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

and

The 500D SE thread may give you idea's

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182614

Thanks Zotty!

I read these posts before, but obviously not everything stuck in my head. The diagrams in there are really helpful. Also there seem to be fairly similar builds like mine.

I‘m still wondering about the following technical things:

• Are the LL fans delivered with the case strong enough to be used on the H150i Pro? I read in some posts HD fans would be better, although I understand then they cannot be on the same rgb fan led hub as the 140mm LL.
  • Should they be attached to the CoPro or the pump header?
  • Is there enough airflow into the case like this, especially for the GPU radiator in the back?
  • Is it an issue for iCUE if the back radiator fan is controlled by the GPU?

An then there is the aesthetics-part:

• Having the fans on push on the radiator means they are visible on the front of the case, but there is no rgb lighting on the inside of the case. So I‘m thinking maybe do a push-pull config (which would help with the airflow), or to add LED strips on the radiator.
  • It would be nice to have an RGB fan on the back radiator where the LEDs are also controlled by iCUE.

Thanks again for the response and the really helpful posts!

I used the ASUS Maximus IX Formula you can have two Sansumg N.V.M.E 970s on the board itself without having to use one of the PCIe slots. Board has NVME Ports built in. Also since you have an RGB Built going on. Instead of the MSI 2080TI card look at the ASUS Strix 2080TI card. There is an app out that you can use Corsair ICUE to control RGB lighting of the ASUS AURA link here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=180890. Just some food for thought.

I have 10 Corsair HD fans 7 HD140RGB and 3 HD120RGB I mounted my radiator H115I internal on custom bracket I made inside a Thermaltake Glass sides and see through top, front Xcore 5 case. RGB LED look great. I would have purchased LL fans but they were a year out for production when I build my PC in 2017 and already had all the components needed. Go with Commander PRO to control you RGB LED fans I have two of them due to so many fans in my case.

Thanks for the tips Jwar, I‘ll look into the Asus formula and the strix cards. Can iCUE do a user defined fan-curve on the GPU fans? I came across the thread you linked earlier, and while this seems to have worked for some time, the latest posts all indicate there are problems.

And this is my main issue before going forward and ordering all the pretty Corsair hardware: it seems the manufacturers do not work together well - especially on the software side - and plenty of posts indicate compatibility issues between iCUE and other motherboard software.

- The Asus monitoring software must not run. This seems fine since iCUE can take this

- precision x1 also seems to be problematic, so unclear whether I can use custom fan profiles

- msi afterburner I‘m not sure, but at least it can store the gpu overclock profile and does not have to run to have them applied. Again, unclear whether I can use it for fan profiles.

BTW: Sounds like a great build. Pics would be appreciated :):

You could control the 120mm radiator fan from iCUE through the Commander Pro and I would recommend that with any hybrid GPU set up. You'll want to be able to manipulate fan speed to see how much difference a few hundred rpm make, one way or the other.

MSI afterburner does not conflict with iCUE. We're all using it. X1's issues are internal, not related to iCUE. All iCUE does it pick the GPU temp up from the motherboard, so there is little crossover for control. You cannot control the onboard GPU fan fans with iCUE or anything else except Afterburner/Precision X, etc.

While not related to the compatibility angle, you may want to take a hard look at user reviews of the Sea Hawk X. As the owner of the full water block EK X 2080 Ti, I was really stunned by GPU temps coming from an equally powerful (watts) Pascal card. I h ad to redo my loop configuration, add another 280mm radiator and I am finally back to normal expected temps. I find it very difficult to imagine a 120mm radiator trying to keep a 2080 Ti in check. Coolant temp will be at 50C almost constantly. On top of that, all 2080 Ti seem run about 10-15C above the coolant when loaded. This puts you at 65C. A lot of the three fan models will be cooler and potentially be less noisy than a 120mm fan that needs to run 1800 rpm to keep the cooler useful. I find it hard to recommend any hybrid cooler for the 2080 Ti. There is also an EVGA model if you are looking for more user experiences and temperatures.

Some very good points there c-attack, thanks. I was looking at 240 mm hybrid, but was not sure whether they would fit into the 500g rgb - lenght of the water tubings were nowhere to be found... So I went for the seemingly next best. Would you prefer the EVGA hybrid over the MSI one?

I read in many reviews, that 2080ti tend to have very high temperatures no matter what configuration (usually in the 60°C range). This is what I figured so far - let me know if this is off: the new gen gpu's boost to high frequencies as long as they are within power / temperature limits. So one will likely end up at the same temperatures in different situations. What will be different though is how high and for how long the card boosts - and with this the gpu performance.

This is supported by gamersnexus in video form: [ame]

[/ame] or written: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3367-rtx-2080-ti-hybrid-results-nvidia-power-limitations

Most telling in this regard are these two charts:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2018/gpus/2080-ti/hybrid/1_hybrid-2080ti-3dmark-clocks_1.png

https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2018/gpus/2080-ti/hybrid/2_hybrid-2080ti-3dmark-temperature_1.png

They basically show, that the boost frequency is different for air vs hybrid cooling due to the higher temperature. That's why I figured the hybrid model was still better than air cooled.

That you got the beast under control with your custom loop is amazing!

Now, I would appreciate a more quiet build, but I'm really unsure regarding the airflow in the case. Would you think it is good enough with the followin fans in a 500D RGB?

• H150i with 3x120mm LL in push as intake
  • 2x 140mm LL on top exhaust
  • 1x 120mm LL in the back on exhaust

Any thoughts on this?

A follow up on the Hybrid GPU: I was again looking at the Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Waterforce

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N208TAORUSX-W-11GC#kf

I agree with c-attack, that a 120mm fan for a 2080 ti is on the short side, but the xtreme waterforce has a 240 mm rad. :): What I don't know is

a) can the radiator fit in the case together with the H150i in the front and

b) is the tubing of the card to the rad long enough to fit

Anyone with experience on this?

Archived