Corsair Community

iCUE + Remote Desktop

Hello,

I remote desktop into my home workstation multiple times per day in the week to carry out cpu intensive tasks (work pc is a pile of dog turd).

My home workstation is equipped with Corsair Commander Pro and H110i and iCUE can controll these perfectly apart from when I remote desktop into my workstation, I get the the message "No Device Detected" :

icue.jpg

Is this a known issue ?

Is there plans to fix this ?

For info, my PC is freshly installed with 1803 WIN 10 and has the following hardware :

Intel Core i7 8086K @ 5.00GHz Delidded @1.2v - Asus ROG Z370 Strix - G.SKill Aegis 2400mhz@3066mhz 2x16GB - NZXT MANTA BLACK/RED - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110 Pro - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz

Edited by ftln
  • Confused 1

Yeah ... I do the same thing. From what I understand, iCue disconnects when the workstation is locked. Since the workstation gets locked when you connect remotely with Remote Desktop, guess what? Yeah ... that.

So ... known issue. Plans to fix? Not that I'm aware of but feedback can change that.

Yeah ... I do the same thing. From what I understand, iCue disconnects when the workstation is locked. Since the workstation gets locked when you connect remotely with Remote Desktop, guess what? Yeah ... that.

So ... known issue. Plans to fix? Not that I'm aware of but feedback can change that.

Thanks Devbiker, how does this affect myfans and my waterpump, will the profile assigned to them still work when I am in remote desktop ?

This beahaviuor was not present with Link, and I cant afford to have components overheating when Im using the system remotely.

Edited by ftln

Thanks Devbiker, how does this affect myfans and my waterpump, will the profile assigned to them still work when I am in remote desktop ?

This beahaviuor was not present with Link.

Yes, the Performance settings for the fans and the AIO will still be applied; they are actually handled by the Corsair Service from values written to a file in %ProgramData%\Corsair\Cue\Settings.

Thanks again for the swift reply, so if I understand correctly I dont even have to have the icue app open for the default profile to function ? I can remove the option to start iCue app at startup ?

Thanks again for the swift reply, so if I understand correctly I dont even have to have the icue app open for the default profile to function ? I can remove the option to start iCue app at startup ?

Only for the Performance settings. Lighting requires iCue.

Note that you can save settings to some devices (AIOs) as well. This will be in the Profiles hamburger menu and it looks like an SD-Card. Not all lighting effects save to all coolers but the fan/pump settings should.

thank you both I do this roughly everyday as well, and both systems have CUE or iCUE installed and my mileage is as described above. I never really thought about the performance settings as mine are not profile dependent, but I get that is a major concern especially if you were running CPU heavy tasks.

A little off topic, but for what it is worth, somewhat interestingly, MS terminal services / RDP seems to send arbitrary keyboard input, like I have my SDK app using the register_callback example to send obscure reserved keys when the macro keys are pressed.

So if the SDK app is running at work or at home and I remote desktop to the other endpoint, the SDK's emitted keys are recognized on the other computer and behave as such (which is pretty sweet). I do not suspect Cue has anything to do with that behavior, but possible worth noting.

Truthfully, this thread is related to http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=179439&page=2

and I'm curious if a task scheduled event could get us over the challenges:

https://superuser.com/questions/1214736/windows-10-scheduled-tasks-with-workstation-lock-unlock-not-being-triggered

Probably worth the dev team looking at? and seeing if a user could choose to store a password to do CUE stuff in lock?

Truthfully, this thread is related to http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=179439&page=2

Yes, I think that it is directly related. If they do one, they'll do the other.

Probably worth the dev team looking at? and seeing if a user could choose to store a password to do CUE stuff in lock?

I'm not sure that it's necessary. While I can understand the unavailability of external peripherals while the workstation is locked (you aren't there, right?), I don't think that it's necessary to go that far. After all, Link has no issues with USB connections to DIY devices when the workstation is locked does it?

Regardless, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that wants to manage iCue via Remote Desktop.

What is the best way that we can escalate this to corsair ?

I really need a way to switch to my maximum speed fan profile when I remote desktop to this workstation to do some heavy workloads.

Edited by ftln

I was looking into this for remote monitoring and I spoke to DevBiker about it and he said RDP didn't work with iCue at this time. I am have limited use of Window's consumer products. I mostly use Windows Server level operating systems. From what I just read Windows 10 does not support mutli-user mode or multipe/sessions. I wonder if it would work on Windows 2012 R2 or 2016? That is if the limitation is due to locking.

@ftln, why not set a more dynamic fan curve to handle your system when it is under load? I do not like any manual control of my fans, I have my profile setup based off coolant temp.

I was looking into this for remote monitoring and I spoke to DevBiker about it and he said RDP didn't work with iCue at this time. I am have limited use of Window's consumer products. I mostly use Windows Server level operating systems. From what I just read Windows 10 does not support mutli-user mode or multipe/sessions. I wonder if it would work on Windows 2012 R2 or 2016? That is if the limitation is due to locking.

@ftln, why not set a more dynamic fan curve to handle your system when it is under load? I do not like any manual control of my fans, I have my profile setup based off coolant temp.

Win10 does support fast user switching, which is a multiuser mode. However, only one can be active at any given time; the other profiles are running in the background.

And no, it works the same on server operating systems (which aren't, btw, officially supported). I have iCue and lighting and all on my home server running Windows Server 2016.

Win10 does support fast user switching, which is a multiuser mode. However, only one can be active at any given time; the other profiles are running in the background.

And no, it works the same on server operating systems (which aren't, btw, officially supported). I have iCue and lighting and all on my home server running Windows Server 2016.

How about multi-users? You have user DevBiker logged onto Console0, while Solarity is logged into RDP in 2016?

How about multi-users? You have user DevBiker logged onto Console0, while Solarity is logged into RDP in 2016?

Well, iCue doesn't work at all over RDP. BUT if it was going to, then it should be the console login that rules. But I'm not sure how much effort they should put into that specific scenario as it's pretty far outside the typical use case AND server OS's aren't officially supported.

SO ... in your scenario, DevBiker Rulez, Solarity Droolz. ;-)

Thanks guys for the input.

I'm just hoping they haven't excluded RDP functionality on purpose.

I have set a more aggressive fan profile for the time being but I just cant get it out of my head that it may fail and burn out some of my components. I like to be able to monitor in real-time exactly what the fans & pumps are doing.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just registered here to give this thread a bump.

I build an AIO in a professionally used rig which is exclusively used via RDP.

This behaviour is really troublesome for monitioring temps/performance.

I would really apreciate if this got somehow fixed or a workaround is provided.

Cheers

• Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...

Currently, three AX1200i power supplies, numerous 120mm fans, and a "COMMANDER PRO" device are in use at my place of work. All of these devices were purchased at my request.

After spending a substantial amount of time trying to figure out why the "COMMANDER PRO" could first not be updated with the latest firmware and later why the device would not be recognized by iCue, I found this thread.

The machine in which the "COMMANDER PRO" is installed is nearly EXCLUSIVELY used via RDP.

So, like Spynx, I registered on this forum to bump this thread.

I need to monitor this computer remotely.

Lack of RDP support in iCue with the "COMMANDER PRO" is not acceptable -especially considering the price paid for it.

Please fix it.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Hello,

I just registered here to give this thread a bump.

I build an AIO in a professionally used rig which is exclusively used via RDP.

This behaviour is really troublesome for monitioring temps/performance.

I would really apreciate if this got somehow fixed or a workaround is provided.

Cheers

Edited by BusinessClass
Added Corsair equipment.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
wow, nearly a year after this thread started, still nothing. im feeling pretty cheated here. using some old parts to build a game server. needed a case, figured i'd spend a little more on a 500D RGB SE with the commander pro and an extra 3 pack of LL120 fans. thats 6 fans. if its going to be on all the time, may as well look good right? icue worked fine when first installed with a fresh load of win10 but since this is a headless system most of the time, it has no kb, mouse or monitor and i access it via RDP after windows and all that was done. needless to say, nothing freakin works. all that extra money spent on this and none of it works. what a waste. computer sits there, completely dark. couldve just got the regular 500d and re-used some regular old case fans i had laying around. :mad:

I get what you're saying here. A suggestion - connect a keyboard/mouse to the system and log on locally. Set the Hardware Profile for the lighting. That'll play when there is no one logged in to the system.

Is it ideal? Nope. And I'd love to see RDP functionality too. But it's better than all dark or unicorn vomit (unless, of course, you like rainbows, then please disregard that insensitive comment regarding unicorn vomit).

I get what you're saying here. A suggestion - connect a keyboard/mouse to the system and log on locally. Set the Hardware Profile for the lighting. That'll play when there is no one logged in to the system.

Is it ideal? Nope. And I'd love to see RDP functionality too. But it's better than all dark or unicorn vomit (unless, of course, you like rainbows, then please disregard that insensitive comment regarding unicorn vomit).

i did set that and it worked once but after logging in to RDP once, that seems to have broken. even when not logged to RDP, even after a reboot and a full power off/on, the fans are all off (leds are off, fans run) and dont fallback to the hardware profile. i can try again but if that settings doesnt persist, its kinda useless.

i did set that and it worked once but after logging in to RDP once, that seems to have broken. even when not logged to RDP, even after a reboot and a full power off/on, the fans are all off (leds are off, fans run) and dont fallback to the hardware profile. i can try again but if that settings doesnt persist, its kinda useless.

Hmmm ... that's interesting. I've never seen it do that, personally. I'd guess that something got corrupted and it's a bug rather than design behavior.

Hmmm ... that's interesting. I've never seen it do that, personally. I'd guess that something got corrupted and it's a bug rather than design behavior.
weird. went back in to try again and now its working. its like the settings didnt stick before; not only on the hardware profile but even my fan speed profiles didnt stick to what i changed them too. just had a successful test though. logged in remotely, leds work on the hardware profile. rebooted and it seems to have persisted this time. feeling a bit better now. still would be nice if i didnt have to hook a kb and monitor to it to modify anything if i want to change things up. oh well, better than nothing.

weird. went back in to try again and now its working. its like the settings didnt stick before; not only on the hardware profile but even my fan speed profiles didnt stick to what i changed them too. just had a successful test though. logged in remotely, leds work on the hardware profile. rebooted and it seems to have persisted this time. feeling a bit better now. still would be nice if i didnt have to hook a kb and monitor to it to modify anything if i want to change things up. oh well, better than nothing.

Dude ... I hear you. Link would allow you to do this - maybe that's something to look into? Unfortunately, it's not updated so it won't support any new hardware. One other tip - for the CoPro to properly control fan speeds, it's best to have them based on the thermistor sensors.