Corsair Community

Corsair Link doesn't work with HWinfo64

seanpatrick

Hey there,

I just bought a Commander Pro and am pretty bummed out about it's apparent inability to place nice with third party monitoring programs.

I've actually read a previous Google entry whereby the devs explained their reasoning for not supporting third party applications, but I wanted to express my disappointment that apparently their concurrent operation is completely broken.

HWinfo64 being run completely disables my Corsair Link's ability to even recognize my fans - and I've got to reboot Corsair link to get back to normal. If Corsair Link's sensor ability had 1/2 the ability of some third party monitoring programs I wouldn't be so disappointed, but the sparse amount of info included with it is very near worthless in comparison.

I know everyone works hard on these things, and don't want to poo-poo too much, but honestly - this is a MAJOR problem for me. I thought I'd let you know.

Best for the holidays regardless,

Sean.

Yeah ... it's a known thing. You can run them together only if you disable monitoring for the Link device sensors. You'll still need to have Link shut down when you start HWInfo but you can start it right up afterwards.

One bright spot: if your fan speeds are based on the CoPro's temperature sensors, you don't need to run Link for your fan curves. The same is true for the coolers ... and you can write your custom curves to the cooler firmware. Since mine are, I can shut down Link when I want to do serious testing or benchmarking and run HWInfo.

• Corsair Employee
This is something we're aware of and not especially happy with, but we have to prioritize supporting new products and fixing existing issues over this problem. Please also remember there are two sides to this, too: it's not just us choosing not to try to get our software to play nice with other suites, it's the other suites as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there,

I just bought a Commander Pro and am pretty bummed out about it's apparent inability to place nice with third party monitoring programs.

I've actually read a previous Google entry whereby the devs explained their reasoning for not supporting third party applications, but I wanted to express my disappointment that apparently their concurrent operation is completely broken.

HWinfo64 being run completely disables my Corsair Link's ability to even recognize my fans - and I've got to reboot Corsair link to get back to normal. If Corsair Link's sensor ability had 1/2 the ability of some third party monitoring programs I wouldn't be so disappointed, but the sparse amount of info included with it is very near worthless in comparison.

I know everyone works hard on these things, and don't want to poo-poo too much, but honestly - this is a MAJOR problem for me. I thought I'd let you know.

Best for the holidays regardless,

Sean.

This is the main reason I haven't purchased the RGB fans. I'm running three monitoring programs, hwinfo64, openhardwaremonitor and AI Suite and they all work together, but not Link. I'm not giving up my monitoring programs for Link. I want the LL120 fans but it looks like they only work with link and not the RGB manual control that comes with the HD120's. So my only option is to get the HD120 fans and use the RGB manual control. Better than nothing but still not what I wanted.

• 7 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but I've just built my new PC and it is very "Corsair based". Case, watercooler, a bunch of LED fans, Commander Pro, PSU...

I'm really really satisfied with Corsair LINK, what it can do and how my PC looks like is just amazing.

Unfortunately, I have just experienced this incompatibility between LINK and HWiNFO some minutes ago. I still have the same opinion about LINK, but it's a pity.

This post is about two questions I have regarding this subject:

1- does the MSI Afterburner show similar incompatibility problems?

2- Above some programs were mentioned, which also do not have compatibility with LINK. But what about monitoring programs that get along well with Corsair LINK? Could you maybe name some?

Thank you very much in advance!

1- No issues with Afterburner.

2- You can use HWInfo with Link and iCue but you need to configure it to not monitor the Corsair devices (cooler, Commander Pro, etc). As long as it doesn't do that, it'll actually work.

hello! i was wondering how you can disable the sensors?

on hwinfo, even if i have disabled monitoring everything, having hwinfo open seems to still be conky with iCUE (commander pro problem mostly where performance tab vanishes and fan sensors are broken (12000+ rpm, etc)

• 1 month later...
One question .

I have my fan curve based on temp sensor connected on commander pro, if I turn off my corsair link to use hwinfo the fan curve will be affected?

AFAIK, the fan curve gets written to the Commander Pro, so yes the curve should stay intact when you close Link. The reason that Link cannot run concurrently with HWINFO (and SIV, and AIDA, etc) is because Corsair decided to abandon the use of the Global\CorsairLinkReadWriteGuardMutex lock to interlock access to the Commander Pro. HWINFO, SIV and AIDA64 all use the lock so they can all monitor and report the Commander Pro data simultaneously. They still can, just not with Link or iCue running because there will be access violations.

They did this when they transitioned to software LED control when the LL series fans were introduced, likely because the LEDs could not be updated fast enough. Rather than resolve the issue, they just abandoned use of the lock and proclaimed that now Link (and iCue) cannot run concurrently with these other monitoring programs.

A solution to this issue was presented to the Corsair development team manager at the time by the developer of one of these programs, but apparently either he did not understand the solution or they were in too much of a hurry to get the LL series of fans and their new, more complex LED patterns to market, so they decided to just stop using the lock. I seriously doubt that they will ever re-visit this issue now, especially with Link since it is EOL anyway. ICue unfortunately has the same problem. Its a shame, because there is a way to do it. :(:

One question .

I have my fan curve based on temp sensor connected on commander pro, if I turn off my corsair link to use hwinfo the fan curve will be affected?

No, it will run just as you expect and this is one of the main benefits of the C-Pro. Those temp probe fan curves will follow their instructions at during the boot cycle and without Link/iCUE. Motherboard derived values like CPU temp, GPU temp, etc. will not work without the software. I ran this way without Link for quite a long time.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I just sunk a ton of money into fancy Corsair ML RGB fans, and a Commander Pro hub to run them. This issue really threw me for a loop, because I was trying to evaluate my thermal paste job on my AOI cooler using HWInfo and Corsair Link was going nuts. To top it off, something about the USB plug that CP was plugged into was causing non-stop bleeps and bloops as if a device was connecting and disconnecting repeatedly. It appears to have been an unrelated issue, but it certainly confounded things.

It just goes to show that you can never do too much research up front. I am really disappointed by this. I saw another thread where they were collecting suggestions, so mine is to fix this. Thanks for the write up SpeedyV.

Well, I just sunk a ton of money into fancy Corsair ML RGB fans, and a Commander Pro hub to run them. This issue really threw me for a loop, because I was trying to evaluate my thermal paste job on my AOI cooler using HWInfo and Corsair Link was going nuts. To top it off, something about the USB plug that CP was plugged into was causing non-stop bleeps and bloops as if a device was connecting and disconnecting repeatedly. It appears to have been an unrelated issue, but it certainly confounded things.

It just goes to show that you can never do too much research up front. I am really disappointed by this. I saw another thread where they were collecting suggestions, so mine is to fix this. Thanks for the write up SpeedyV.

You can run them both at the same time. You cannot, however monitor the Corsair devices from HWInfo. That won't work.

Archived