Corsair Community

Biostar M7NCD Pro and Value Select Ram

Schoen

I just bought a Biostar M7NCD Pro with the Nvidia chipset, an AMD 2500 Barton, and 2 sticks of Value Select VS512MB333 (0323081). I'm not an OCer, just a guy who wants his computer to work. Mine doesn't. When I turn it on it does a memory test and reads the drives, then just as is about to start, it flashes an error message: "a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." This message is on screen for about a half second, and then the system reboots. And then it keeps looping. I was in the bios and set it to Optimal Settings -- no fooling around. I would appreciate any information on settings that would make this setup work properly. Or perhaps I should RMA the sticks back and get something better? Any help would be appreciated. Schoen

• Corsair Employee
Did you get any errors durring the install of windows? I guess and say you probably did a carry over install of the O.S.? To test the memory you can down load and run [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] Ram Guy

• Corsair Employee
Yes, Especially if its Win2k or XP. You should delete the partition and then restart the install and let windows create the psrtition fresh. Please note you will loose all the data on the HDD Ram Guy

• 4 months later...
Mine, for instance, will freeze up if I try to run above 150. The chipset will only go so high. Also you should look at your timings and quite possibly going to 2 CAS will be more stable and quite a bit nicer. But for my Nforce2 motherboard I am wondering if I have some bad modules.... I keep getting exceptions... is it that 3200 must run at 166 or above? A few examples of some fairly stable settings ar like 133 6 4 4 (2.0) or perhaps up to 150 or so at that 6 4 4.... but still I will have an exception eventually; and the advantage I see are fairly slight over the "2400" I had before that did seem to give me some trouble... I think perhaps I must spend more on an Nforce2 that can go 200 MHZ ... or should I get an RMA and have them replaced? But then again there is no rush; perhaps I can wait and see....

Archived