Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

Like I said earlier, I just tried it out as a last resort. ICUe hasn’t crashed, usb has not disconnected, everything is running smooth like butter. That link is the only thing I tried and for some reason it’s working for me. I know that it is powered by SATA. I don’t know how it works in the software but that cpu fan port is affecting the hardware in some form or another. I’ll go enjoy my rainbow wave link and no usb disconnect. :)

Since I changed the power setting on the cpu_fan I haven't had any problems with either software or hardware. My computer has been on for 12 hours and i'm still able to change the settings on ICUe software and it hasn't crashed. No wonky RGB lighting in the fans or pump itself. This will be my last post regarding this, you can either try it or not. It has worked for me so:sillygrin

I only shared what I tried and discovered and it worked. Up to the devs to further investigate it but so far so good and I don't have to hear that accursed usb disconnect sound and actually have a functional ICUe software.

I tried this, and it didn't help at all. Might be a placebo effect for you. Have you also been running Steam for a while (starting/exiting it a couple of times while iCue is running usually triggers it reliably for me if it doesn't trigger on the first start of Steam)?

From what I understand, this doesn't affect every Platinum cooler - it has something to do with the USB port that it's connected to. Apparently the Commander Pro and some ... I think ... z390 chipsets are problematic.
I don't think it's a chipset issue. I've tried to connect my H115i RGB Platinum cooler to different PCs with various chipsets (Intel X58, X79, Z270 and even an old P945 and whatever chipsets are in the old Alienware M11x-R2 and M18x-R2) via USB cable and installed iCue on them. They have all been having the USB disconnect/reconnect issue while iCue was running with the H115i RGB Platinum cooler connected.

I've been thinking. Could it be that iCue is polling the Platinum Coolers too quickly (too high USB polling rate)? Perhaps the Platinum cooler made by CoolIT can't keep up with as high polling rates as the Asetek-based Pro Coolers can and iCue doesn't have a special case in their software/driver to adjust the polling rate down when using a Platinum cooler. It's a stab in the dark, although I remember having mice where setting too high USB polling rates would cause mouse disconnects in the distant past (on older computers). So perhaps the engineers at Corsair could try adjusting the USB polling rate of Icue/the drivers for Platinum coolers and see if that helps. It'd be worth a shot, I guess. Or maybe there's something similar happening where iCue should treat the Platinum cooler differently than the Pro but doesn't for some reason.

Edited by Glzmo

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think it's a chipset issue. I've tried to connect my H115i RGB Platinum cooler to different PCs with various chipsets (Intel X58, X79, Z270 and even an old P945 and whatever chipsets are in the old Alienware M11x-R2 and M18x-R2) via USB cable and installed iCue on them. They have all been having the USB disconnect/reconnect issue while iCue was running with the H115i RGB Platinum cooler connected.

Well, that's not good. That's what I've heard on the Beta team forum so apparently that's not accurate. Thanks for the info.

I've been thinking. Could it be that iCue is polling the Platinum Coolers too quickly (too high USB polling rate)? Perhaps the Platinum cooler made by CoolIT can't keep up with as high polling rates as the Asetek-based Pro Coolers can and iCue doesn't have a special case in their software/driver to adjust the polling rate down when using a Platinum cooler. It's a stab in the dark, although I remember having mice where setting too high USB polling rates would cause mouse disconnects in the distant past (on older computers). So perhaps the engineers at Corsair could try adjusting the USB polling rate of Icue/the drivers for Platinum coolers and see if that helps. It'd be worth a shot, I guess. Or maybe there's something similar happening where iCue should treat the Platinum cooler differently than the Pro but doesn't for some reason.

I suspect something similar but I can't really confirm it. It is interesting that we (on the Beta team) had these coolers for a while before release and we didn't see the problem. I didn't start seeing it until I'd had the cooler for several months. I can't say that I can put my finger on what changed before it started either.

Well, that's not good. That's what I've heard on the Beta team forum so apparently that's not accurate. Thanks for the info.

I suspect something similar but I can't really confirm it. It is interesting that we (on the Beta team) had these coolers for a while before release and we didn't see the problem. I didn't start seeing it until I'd had the cooler for several months. I can't say that I can put my finger on what changed before it started either.

Uh. tbh this scares me. When the beta team has no clue and is actually not testing a potential fix then this will take a lot longer than everyone is hoping..... I initially thought about a Easter release but what I read now is making me thinking we can be happy if the issue can be solved this year at all.... Incredible how such a very frequent issue was not caught during development / testing as I saw this issue directly on day 1 after installation in my system.....

As I said, if Corsair is unable to solve this issue then they have to recall all Platinum coolers asap.

I've been thinking. Could it be that iCue is polling the Platinum Coolers too quickly (too high USB polling rate)? Perhaps the Platinum cooler made by CoolIT can't keep up with as high polling rates as the Asetek-based Pro Coolers can and iCue doesn't have a special case in their software/driver to adjust the polling rate down when using a Platinum cooler..

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this was affecting me before I installed the H100 Platinum. If it was firmware level then in theory this would, should, only affect that piece since each device has different commands to do different things. Im suspecting that its the USB cue getting plugged up.

From what I understand, this doesn't affect every Platinum cooler - it has something to do with the USB port that it's connected to. Apparently the Commander Pro and some ... I think ... z390 chipsets are problematic.

This is definitely not accurate because I'm running on the Z270 platform and don't have a commander pro.

I can recreate the issue without fail simply by launching Steam, happens every single time.

Uh. tbh this scares me. When the beta team has no clue and is actually not testing a potential fix then this will take a lot longer than everyone is hoping..... I initially thought about a Easter release but what I read now is making me thinking we can be happy if the issue can be solved this year at all.... Incredible how such a very frequent issue was not caught during development / testing as I saw this issue directly on day 1 after installation in my system.....

As I said, if Corsair is unable to solve this issue then they have to recall all Platinum coolers asap.

Keep in mind that the beta team are a group of customers too, we aren't Corsair employees. I do know that this issue is being worked. And we don't always get potential fixes far ahead of time.

And ... like I said, we had the cooler for a couple of months before it was released. And there are some folks that still aren't seeing the issue so it's not 100% across the board. I didn't start seeing it until right around release date, iirc.

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem with my new H115i Platinum. Should I open a ticket to Corsair or is it something that Corsair is aware and is being worked on at the firmware level?

What is your suggestion?

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem with my new H115i Platinum. Should I open a ticket to Corsair or is it something that Corsair is aware and is being worked on at the firmware level?

What is your suggestion?

Ticket

No ticket=no problem

Also, what gets me really mad is that not a single "testing" site tells about these problems.

Even more offending, when you tell them that there is a big problem and that they should add some real world use cases to their tests, they tell you that you are not lucky and this problem doesn't exist.

Look at that:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/corsair-hydro-series-h115i-rgb-platinum.248706/page-2

And HardOCP gives it "Editor Choice Enthousiast Gold Award"

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/31/corsair_h115i_rgb_platinum_allinone_cpu_cooler_review/4

WTF ?

Are they serious ?

Each time i hear the disconnect sound and RGB dies i'm mad at those "tests"

It's odd that it didn't happen before. Gives one hope that it's something that got messed up later on and should be comparably easy to track back to.

I tried several older versions of iCue I could find on the web to test down to 3.8.91 (didn't find any older ones that supported the H115i RGB Platinum), and none of them fixed the problem.

So the next course of action would be to downgrade the Platinum firmware to older versions (could it have started after a firmware upgrade?). Does the beta team have access to older firmware that you could try or is there any way to get my hands on older firmware so I can test it? Is downgrading the firmware on these things even possible (I saw that one could make backups in iCue, so I'd assume it is)?

Another thing would be to try a different version of Windows (10). The common denominator on all of the systems I've tested with was Windows 10 64 bit 1809 with all the latest updates installed (some Pro, some Home, some Education which is basically Enterprise). And we all know Windows 10 Updates can royally screw up things at times, especially lately.

Edited by Glzmo

I turned iCue into manual mode at startup.

If I would like to change settings, I open iCue then close it after setting is done.

Everything works fine including temp, fan speed, RGB light...etc and never heard of USB disconnecting sound till now.

Dxxm you iCue.

(btw also heard that Corsair Link software works fine, maybe can try this...)

I turned iCue into manual mode at startup.

If I would like to change settings, I open iCue then close it after setting is done.

Everything works fine including temp, fan speed, RGB light...etc and never heard of USB disconnecting sound till now.

Of course. As long as iCue isn't running, the disconnects don't happen (you can leave the Corsair Service running no sweat and just remove iCue from startup and use it whenever you wish to change some settings).

Then again, there are some things you can't do when iCue isn't running, like Software RGB lighting profiles including linking RGB lighting across multiple corsair devices, etc..

While we don't know how often the device polls the system there is still a way to test it somewhat, and that's by shoving stuff in the other direction. Rainbow wave and such cause it to send much more info.

Now the other thing people keep forgetting is that I came here with the same bloody issue but with everything *BUT* the cooler on the system when it started happening. While I can't speak from experience seems to make sense that it's firmware related since people are saying it worked fine before. But this issue is more widespread than just the coolers.

At this point I've pretty much resigned myself to this getting fixed about the time HL3 is released (or at least around the time I get back from the DWII Exp on ED). It's almost comical how no one from the iCue dev team has bothered to come in here and maybe ask for logs to help narrow it down faster. Not saying that would help but sure as he** am sure it wouldn't hurt.

At this point I've pretty much resigned myself to this getting fixed about the time HL3 is released (or at least around the time I get back from the DWII Exp on ED). It's almost comical how no one from the iCue dev team has bothered to come in here and maybe ask for logs to help narrow it down faster. Not saying that would help but sure as he** am sure it wouldn't hurt.

They actually have logs. Just because you don't see it posted publicly here doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.

Hi guys! Just an update on gingfreeac solution of going bios and change the fan header profile to voltage helps! I 2 whole day did not get any reset on the USB connect and the lighting profile is not stuck or broken. I'm refering to the pump header there a 3 pin cable that can connect to cpu pwm header.

Well time to stop monitoring this thread. Bloody corsair software team please look into this and prevent future product from having this kind of embrassing problem.

They actually have logs. Just because you don't see it posted publicly here doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.

From who? The same guys who don't realize that its happening across multiple devices (coPro, Hydro)? The people who actually are experiencing it so to get more hardware profiles out there? You? Saying it doesn't make the statement that they have them true because all I have to take is your word. . .And I don't know you.

When has more data on a problem ever been a hindrance to solving the issue at hand?

I had my H115i Platinum replaced today. So far I haven't had any USB disconnects while running my normal profile with lots of LED variations. Corsair kept wanting me to replace it before, as they thought it may be an issue with the USB cable.

Any news on if/when this issue will get fixed? I was planning on buying a H115i Platinum from Microcenter but I ran into this thread and am now deciding against it. Looking at the Kraken x62 or H115i Pro if this issue persists with no word of a fix. Thanks.

Don't expect to get any official answer. Corsair is very silent on this issue.

We can be happy if this issue can be solved at all. Definitely not coming in the next few months for sure.

I would suggest to go with the X62 or the Corsair Pro coolers. At this moment nobody should buy the Platinum coolers. Normally corsair have to recall the platinum coolers until this issue is fixed.

Don't expect to get any official answer. Corsair is very silent on this issue.

We can be happy if this issue can be solved at all. Definitely not coming in the next few months for sure.

I would suggest to go with the X62 or the Corsair Pro coolers. At this moment nobody should buy the Platinum coolers. Normally corsair have to recall the platinum coolers until this issue is fixed.

Thanks, I'll just go with another cooler. It really sucks that you drop almost $200 on a cooler and have had more headaches with it than it's worth.

It sucks too because my whole case is RGB and these fans were gonna go well with it. If it ever gets fixed in the future, I'll consider getting it but as of now it just sounds like a s***show.

Just wanted to give some feedback so maybe corsair can fix it faster.

My h100i rgb platinum se has similar problem, no disconnect sound from windows but the lighting is messed up if there is any animation going on the aio and/or the ll120s connected to the aio, the lighting will break/restart. It also affects and causes lag/restart to nopro's 2x ll120 and 4x strips. However, by setting the aio to static color my nopro will work fine. I'll try to use another usb cable in a few days if I have time.

So I just bought the H115i Pro but wish I could have gotten the Platinum :( All other fans in my case are RGB so this would be the icing on the cake.

I'm thinking about returning it and getting the Platinum but wanted to confirm some things.

1. These disconnect issues don't affect the fans/pump right? Like their performance?

2. If I set all lights to static, it won't disconnect? I wouldn't mind setting them all to static until it's resolved.

I'm just worried that it won't ever get resolved or that they'll need to recall them.

Thoughts?

So I just bought the H115i Pro but wish I could have gotten the Platinum :( All other fans in my case are RGB so this would be the icing on the cake.

I'm thinking about returning it and getting the Platinum but wanted to confirm some things.

1. These disconnect issues don't affect the fans/pump right? Like their performance?

2. If I set all lights to static, it won't disconnect? I wouldn't mind setting them all to static until it's resolved.

I'm just worried that it won't ever get resolved or that they'll need to recall them.

Thoughts?

Why not just keep the Pro and buy a pair of ml rgb etc fans?

Why not just keep the Pro and buy a pair of ml rgb etc fans?

The fans retail for $100. I bought the H100i Pro for $130 (haven't hooked it up yet) so spending an additional $100 seems silly when I could just return my Pro and get the Platinum.

If the issue doesn't affect fan/pump performance and is "fixed" when the lights are static, then I'm alright with that until a patch is released. Hopefully. Everything I've researched points to it being a software issue which could be patched.