Afura

Hey

Need help with a freezing PC.

ASRock mini-itx z390

8700k @ 5.0 GHz, 1,375v, 32C no load, 69C max prime avx load

2x8gb Vengeance 3000mhz c15

Rm750x

Xmp profile enabled + CPU OC = memtest64 freeze after 1 loop

Xmp profile enabled + CPU OC = all known stress tests pass for multiple hours ( prime with avx, occt CPU tests, realbench, aida64)

Memory auto + CPU OC = memtest64 pass for 60 loops, multiple times

Xmp profile enabled + CPU no OC = all tests + memtest64 stable for hours.

So the issue must be with the CPU OC right ? At least it seems to be causing the freeze issue with memtest64.

Any ideas what to go for here ?

3000 MHz isn’t very high, but the combination of high cpu + moderate memory oc may have pushed you past the limit. “The freeze” is usually memory related, but there are no certain rules. Enabling XMP may also change some other less obvious variables like VCCIO and System Agent voltage. That’s probably the place to start.

With xmp on, see what values your bios picks for VCCIO and VCCSA. You may need to boot up to see this. My Z370 bios won’t tell me what auto really is. These values are probably going to be higher than necessary, but we’ll see. Once you have those, go back and turn xmp off. Manually set the 3000 frequency, primary timings (15-17-35-T2?). All secondary and tertiary timings stay on auto. While this can be done by hand for better scores, the auto timings may bring back slightly softer values that will be stable. I think something between 1.10-1.15v for IO/SA voltage, but I would like to know what your using now.

3000 MHz isn’t very high, but the combination of high cpu + moderate memory oc may have pushed you past the limit. “The freeze” is usually memory related, but there are no certain rules. Enabling XMP may also change some other less obvious variables like VCCIO and System Agent voltage. That’s probably the place to start.

With xmp on, see what values your bios picks for VCCIO and VCCSA. You may need to boot up to see this. My Z370 bios won’t tell me what auto really is. These values are probably going to be higher than necessary, but we’ll see. Once you have those, go back and turn xmp off. Manually set the 3000 frequency, primary timings (15-17-35-T2?). All secondary and tertiary timings stay on auto. While this can be done by hand for better scores, the auto timings may bring back slightly softer values that will be stable. I think something between 1.10-1.15v for IO/SA voltage, but I would like to know what your using now.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately my liquid cooler gave up on me so I'm back on stock cooler with no possible way to test the memory with manual timing and frequency OC + CPU OC.

Will test it in couple of weeks, when I get me cooler back from the warranty.

What I did find yout was that xmp enabled VCCIO is 1.100v and VCCSA is 1.200v.

VCCAO stock is 0.950v and VCCSA is 1.050v

What I did find yout was that xmp enabled VCCIO is 1.100v and VCCSA is 1.200v.

OK, that is pretty much in range. Those values can be CPU unique, but since it is such a drastic change between on/off and they are close to the expected target values, they may not be the ones to work first. When you are back to normal, try the manual primary and auto secondary/tertiary, DRAM voltage 1.35v.

OK, that is pretty much in range. Those values can be CPU unique, but since it is such a drastic change between on/off and they are close to the expected target values, they may not be the ones to work first. When you are back to normal, try the manual primary and auto secondary/tertiary, DRAM voltage 1.35v.

Dram auto voltage should already be 1.350, should I set it manually and leave IO/SA to auto yeah ?

With XMP off, you will need to manually set both frequency (3000) and the RAM voltage 1.35v. With XMP disabled, I do not know what value your board will assign. It may be exactly the same (the board is assigning it now). You can replicate the 1.10 and 1.20 settings or split the difference and go 1.15 on both. Really, you should only change one thing at a time, so the best approach would a the same 1.10 and 1.20, 1.35 DRAM, and then the change is letting the board pick the secondary and tertiary timings. If that does not work, then you can try 1.15 on both and start tweaking those.

Archived