Corsair Community

CUE driver issue ( Timer Resolution ) GPU Usage

x7007

When installing the CUE driver it runs using the GPU to render and causing Timer resolution to be always 1.000 instead 15.625 . which causing to use more energy .

Please fix the issue , make the program not to use the GPU.

If everyone has Nvidia you can see it uses the GPU Activity using the Nvidia Control Panel ( NVCP) > Desktop (on the top) > Display Gpu Activity Icon on notification area. then double click and you'll see CUE.exe is been using Nvidia GPU.

that's the only thing when my computer is restarted. it shouldn't be that way. only games and Browsers like chrome and such should be use GPU ...

You can see Timer Resolution with https://cms.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

When CUE is opened you'll see 1.001 or 0.500. all the time.

When it's closed it is 15.626 , and that's how it should be.

A lot of programs use GPU acceleration, even ours because it contains so many dynamic effects in the SW now. I don't see the reasoning why Chrome can use GPU acceleration but exclude our software from doing so.

Cause Chrome does it adaptively, when you just open chrome and nothing is moving in the tabs or anything it will go back to 15.626 . CUE stays 0.500-1.000 24/7 .. which is the wrong thing to do. Chrome did the same before, but it was fixed because of the same reason. as soon I close CUE , the Timer resolution go back 15.626 . as long CUE is opened it will always be 0.500-1.000 . you need to fix it !

for another example why Logitech Gaming software doesn't use the GPU ? it looks the same to me with all the animations and high GUI. they have macros and many special settings, they do make keyboards and mouse with special kind of settings and options. you need to fix your software/driver or it's not useful. it is bugged like chrome , which was fixed. the logitech software doesn't use GPU at all , and doesn't change the Timer resolution even when opened ! so it's not stay on the tray notification and doesn't use GPU , it also doesn't change the timer resolution . I don't see why your software/driver is better when Logitech is doing it the right way !

I don't mind it use GPU , but it shouldn't do so without actually open the program, it just sits on the tray icon doing nothing, there are no tabs, no flash, no need for Gpu hardware acceleration when it sits on the Tray icon.

You can use this software to see the Timer Resolution changing in Realtime

https://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/why-google-took-years-to-address-a-battery-draining-bug-in-chrome/

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=153139

This is not happening on my laptop.

I'm using a laptop version GTX thus the NV control panel has limited functions and I cannot check GPU activities on NV control panel.

But I use COMODO KillSwitch to check my GPU activities and the result is:

-CUE.exe *32 is not using any GPU and 0 GPU memory usage;

-dwm.exe is using some GPU (fluctuating from 0.2% to 30%) and it takes 15.82 MB GPU memory.

-firefox.exe and csrss.exe use less than 1% GPU.

This is not happening on my laptop.

I'm using a laptop version GTX thus the NV control panel has limited functions and I cannot check GPU activities on NV control panel.

But I use COMODO KillSwitch to check my GPU activities and the result is:

-CUE.exe *32 is not using any GPU and 0 GPU memory usage;

-dwm.exe is using some GPU (fluctuating from 0.2% to 30%) and it takes 15.82 MB GPU memory.

-firefox.exe and csrss.exe use less than 1% GPU.

ok , so the GPU is not important for us right now. what is important is the Windows Timer Resolution, did you download the program and run it ? did you see when you close CUE it changes from 1.0009 ms to 15.625 ms ? make sure you don't have any game running or any sound application on the background.

If it doesn't change then you have also other application that uses higher timer resolution.

I don't see why CUE will need to use 1.0009 ms timer resolution if also Chrome, Logitech Gaming Software, ESET 10 doesn't . only when you use them. but CUE as soon as you open and minimize to tray icon it always keep the timer resolution to 1.0009 and never let it go 15.625 ms like it should. as soon as I close it , the timer changes.

• Corsair Employee

Several things:

1.) I have asked our devs to see if we can move away from GPU consumption (and instead direct it to CPU only) but there are a lot of complications from doing so and would need some drastic coding changes. There are also significant drawbacks which would stop me from implementing this if it compromised software integrity.

2.) Comparing us to LGS (Logitech Gaming Software) is apples and oranges as implementation is completely different.

3.) A program on the system taskbar is still ON. It is inaccurate to say its doing nothing as its still transmitting USB data to the device. We did design it to reduce resource overhead when minimized but it obviously still relies on hardware resources to continue to function.

Several things:

1.) I have asked our devs to see if we can move away from GPU consumption (and instead direct it to CPU only) but there are a lot of complications from doing so and would need some drastic coding changes. There are also significant drawbacks which would stop me from implementing this if it compromised software integrity.

2.) Comparing us to LGS (Logitech Gaming Software) is apples and oranges as implementation is completely different.

3.) A program on the system taskbar is still ON. It is inaccurate to say its doing nothing as its still transmitting USB data to the device. We did design it to reduce resource overhead when minimized but it obviously still relies on hardware resources to continue to function.

My main focus was on the Windows Timer Resolution , didn't really want you to look on the GPU side, what was the main concern is that it changes the Windows Resolution when idle which is bad in every way.

If you want to compare a program that has multimedia and also changes the windows resolution timer, examples are Origin,Steam,Uplay. those programs needs to change because they required a lot of graphical and multimedia elements. but Corsair wouldn't need that. I also don't know if I even need to use the CUE when I'm not needed any lightning effects just the normal red steady one. but again. We focus on one thing and then if you can tell me if we really need the driver if we don't need all the lightning effects . does it do anything more with performance ?

So there are 3 questions one lead to another so I will understand if we need the drivers at most, to keep them installed but not use the CUE . please explain this so I might understand if I need it or not.

1. Do I need to install it when not using the lightning effects ?

2. Will installing it and quitting CUE from tray notification will still have the drivers to work with ?

3. Would uninstalling the drivers/not using them will effect the keyboard performance in anyway ?

So I submit a ticket, he said he will forwarded it to dev team. This explain the issue so you can read and understand it. and also why it's bad for everyone.

Created By: Victor TS (6/21/2017 10:44 AM)

Alright, I'll create a bug report for our dev team.

Created By: (6/19/2017 3:42 PM)

Hi ,

I have uploaded the file. please check.

Thabks

Created By: Victor TS (6/19/2017 2:44 PM)

We'll also want a copy of your system information. Here is the best way to obtain it:

To obtain the DXDIAG file:

1. Press the Windows Key (the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard) + R (at the same time).

2. Type "dxdiag", and select "OK".

3. At the bottom right, there will be a "Save All Information" button, select it.

This will create and save a text file named "DxDiag" onto your desktop with all your system configurations.

You can also find the CUE error logs here: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Corsair\CUE\logs

Thanks,

Created By: (6/19/2017 8:34 AM)

Windows Timer Resolution is affecting Energy usage, energy usage by power/battery .

one main thing is for laptop, but also for desktop. when it should be idle then it should usage less energy.

when using the windows command from CMD > powercfg -energy it shows the drivers or software that are causing an energy problems. one example is CUE which always use the 1.0009 ms windows timer resolution.

That's what microsoft output when using this command as general information.

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution

The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.

CUE is not multimedia playback or graphical animation of any kind at least from when it stays on the Tray Notification and not being used visually or interactively

So using this command output this

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request

A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.

Requested Period 10000

Requesting Process ID 12440

Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\CUE.exe

Which says that CUE is changing the windows resolution

I will post screenshot to show this output.

This explains the issue.

The issue is fixed as soon CUE is closed from the Tray Notification and not running. then the Timer Resolution is returning the proper timing and windows doesn't warn about this software.

Archived