Corsair Community

Just found out why I was getting BSODs...it was CUE

googs

About a year ago, I was experiencing random BSODs for two years straight. Found out it was a stick of RAM with a set of burned out contacts. Memtest86 didn't find anything, Windows RAM test found nothing. Suffice to say, I was absolute infuriated with this problem that seemed to have no solution. I replaced the bad stick of RAM and ended the BSODs.

A couple of days ago, I started getting BSODs, again. I was beyond levid. Not wanting to experience another lengthy period of time of hardships, I set about finding the root of the problem.

Downloading a program called blue screen viewer yielded some insanely useless results.

http://i.imgur.com/eMZC0hK.png

Here, you can see some generic errors like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, or even no stop code text at all. All the dumps indicated some error with the Microsoft Kernel, which I doubted was the source of the problem.

Then, in my 12 entire years of using Windows, I discovered a new program on Windows, called Driver Verifier. Take a guess what it does.

After some configuring, I was able to produce the following BSOD:

http://i.imgur.com/7zk34BW.png

I am now immediately uninstalling Corsair Utility Engine, and, for the foreseeable future, I am not installing another piece of Corsair software for the following reasons:

• To begin with: I frankly don't understand why keyboard software has to take up 200mb of my disk.
  • Secondly: The interface is clunky, slow, and full of many unneeded graphics to make it appear flashy and comprehensive.
  • Thirdly: The interface changes so frequently that never once have I ever been able to open the application and actually know what I'm doing in the two years that I've owned this keyboard (K70 RGB.)
  • Fourthly: I don't know if this is true now, as I've downloaded CUE about three weeks ago, so, for all I know, CUE has now been updated to be a dating simulator, but, in my version, I don't know why, but CUE requires me to create an entire "lighting effect" if I want to light a certain set of keys with a certain color. Why, in previous versions, am I allowed to create one lighting zone with multiple colors, and now I am not, is a little painful.
  • Fifth, and lastly: Going to corsair.com/downloads, pressing the download button, pressing "skip this step and download" because I don't want my personal info. to be sold by Corsair is a painful process, if, I want to stay up to date with the latest version of a keyboard software that doesn't crash my computer. I'm hoping that updating could be implemented into the actual program itself rather than having the user to update manually.

Overall, not happy. The keys do make the nice clickety clack sounds. And in some long forgotten version of CUE, I was able to flash my lighting preset to the keyboard, so I always have my favorite lighting profile. But I do hope that in the near future, something as basic as a keyboard driver doesn't crash my computer.

Archived