Corsair Community

Performance Pro not hitting max speeds

alt21

I'm having an issue with my two Corsair Performance Pro 128GB drives not running at SATA III speeds, tried RAID0 and single drive (RAID and AHCI) with NCQ enabled / disabled.

Only got SATA III speeds with 3 benchmark runs on single drive AHCI (did about 20x AS SSD benchmarks)

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 so SB850 southbridge with latest BIOS version.

Did some more testing, swapped SATA cables, removed all other devices from SATA III ports, tried RAID0 array two ports at a time in all six SATA III ports of the SB850, tried latest chipset and RAID drivers (drivers made it way worst), reset BIOS with fail safe but still no SATA III Speeds :-/

RAID0, NCQ enabled, Windows Buffer Flushing Disabled, Latest Chipset and RAID Drivers

http://www.imagehost.co.za/image-DF7B_4F3A2F32.jpg

This issue has been cropping up for a few people in another thread. Have you ever achieved sata 6Gb/s speeds or has it always been stuck at sata 3Gb/s? There is an occurrence with a few users seeing the drive work fine for a while but drop to a sata 3Gb/s link. Try switching to msahci driver in the device manager if you aren't already and restart, uninstall the drive, power down and restart. The drive will redetect. See if it is still slow.

This still doesn't explain why these drives are dropping to sata 3Gb/s links.

I have changed settings in RAIDXPert but there isn't much to change (NCQ and Write Cache)

I did manage to get SATA III speeds at one point during testing while in AHCI mode, it was after replacing the SATA cables so figured it had resolved the problem so put the PC back together and loaded Windows on RAID0 only to find it was again running at SATA II speeds.

I have now tested one drive in AHCI and still getting SATA II speeds, busy loading OS on the other drive so I can see if it isn't maybe one drive causing the issues.

it's a known issue with amd and sataIII ssds/raid. mine are running superbly on intel sataIII ports. you may want to google re amd sataIII at sataII speeds. have you played with the amd raidxpert app settings at all?

I am unable to find any info to confirm that this is a known issue with AMD's chipsets, I have also tried with SATA set to AHCI and still only getting SATAII speeds.

M.Oreilly is probably referring to the underwhelming performance of AMD's 6Gb/s w/ raid. Like you, I also don't know of a know issue with AMD sata 6Gb/s operating at exactly 3Gb/s - which your benchmarks show. A quick search found benchmarks on AMD chipsets achieving well over sata 3Gb/s speeds, just not up to Intel standards. I don't think this is just an AMD issue.

Specifically referencing your picture from post #3 shows a single drive in AHCI but is definitely operating at a 3Gb/s link. The problem is to get down to why the drive is plugged in to a sata 6Gb/s port but operates at a 3Gb/s link. I have 3 different sata 6Gb/s SSD's all using a different controller and I experience this on an Intel chipset only with the PPro.

I am unable to find any info to confirm that this is a known issue with AMD's chipsets, I have also tried with SATA set to AHCI and still only getting SATAII speeds.

It's not an issue per se as in a defect. It is simply that the AMD controllers are currently not able to run the fastest SSDs such as the Perf Pro and Force 3/GT at their full rated speeds.

Alt21, Are you sure that your cable are Sata 6Gb/s? If yes, make a CLR CMOS, then reconfigure your BIOS again. I'm with the same problem as you and the only thing that resolves is CLR the BIOS. I have the same motherboard that you and can't enable the RAID with the machanicals HD's because this drop the performance of the SSD down to Sata II. Please, after you do this (if you do), Show us the results.

P.S.: Do not forget that I am from Brazil and is very dificult to me type in english, so forgive me about any error.

...I have the same motherboard...and can't enable the RAID with the machanicals HD's because this drop the performance of the SSD down to Sata II...

interesting

P.S.: Do not forget that I am from Brazil and is very dificult to me type in english, so forgive me about any error.

you are doing super :biggrin:

@ other manufacturers forums, there is mention of this occurring re amd. alt, when you say you 'loaded' windows, was it a fresh install, or an image?

Fresh install every time.

Alt21, Are you sure that your cable are Sata 6Gb/s? If yes, make a CLR CMOS, then reconfigure your BIOS again. I'm with the same problem as you and the only thing that resolves is CLR the BIOS. I have the same motherboard that you and can't enable the RAID with the machanicals HD's because this drop the performance of the SSD down to Sata II. Please, after you do this (if you do), Show us the results.

Cables are from Gigabyte and has 3gb / 6gb printer on them, so definitely not a cable fault :)

It's not an issue per se as in a defect. It is simply that the AMD controllers are currently not able to run the fastest SSDs such as the Perf Pro and Force 3/GT at their full rated speeds.

But should they be capped at 3gb, as it seems that they are capped and not just slower than what they would be on a Intel 6gb port.

Update: I got a new motherboard (GA-990FXA-UD7), will install it later today and post my results, if I am still not able to get the full 6gb speeds I will replace with a LGA2011 board (GA-X79-UD5)

Was hoping it would just be a firmware issue as it would save me a lot of time, effort and money :)

Replaced my AMD setup with an Intel one (GA-X79-UD5 board) and ran some tests with my 2x Corsair Performance Pro drives in RAID0 with a 128k stripe.

http://www.imagehost.co.za/image-6D02_4F425EBC.jpg

http://www.imagehost.co.za/image-C6F6_4F425EBC.jpg

Archived