Corsair Community

8700K Weird temps

Lenster45

I have a 8700K installed in a Asrock Z370 Taichi MB with G.Skill 3200 RAM using a Corsair H100i V2 cooler. Case is Phanteks Ethoo full size with front and rear fans

The pump is powered directly from a SATA power connector and the fans are attached to the pump.

Using Clink software, I have set the pump to performance and the fans to balanced.

Idle temps range anywhere from 35C to 44C and are different almost every time the computer comes out of sleep or is powered off then on.

The slightest bit of activity sends the temps spiking to mid 50s to low 60s. Cinebench hits 100C after about 10 seconds.

Ram and running at xmp 3200 changing it to 2133 makes no different to temps. MCE is disabled. I have tried manual cpu voltage as low as 1.16 and also tried offset -60mv. It does not seem to make any difference.

SIV and Hwinfo show Vcore max at 1.248.

H100 coolant is anywhere from 35-37 at idles and around 42C during cinebench.

I have pulled the pump many times to check the seating and the AS5 compound has evenly spread across the top of the cpu. There is no looseness in the pump / MB mount.

Coolant tubes feel about the same temp and never feel hot. The pump rpm is always around 3150. Fans go higher or lower per normal.

I am at my wits end and and wondering if my pump / flow might be bad.

This pump was used on a Z77 / 3700K with no problems prior to this new build and I used to be able to run Cinebench with a peak of high 80s to low 90s for the first month or so after after building this rig. Then the problems started.

H100 coolant is anywhere from 35-37 at idles and around 42C during cinebench.

Your coolant temp is the minimum possible CPU temp and this explains why you also see CPU core idle temps in the 37-45C range. However, that is pretty warm for a resting coolant value. It was 27-29C in my office when I got home last night and the H115i PRO coolant temp was still about that same value at idle. Can you explain the layout of your case? I assume the H100i is in the top, but is it intake or exhaust and the rest of the fans as well. Room and case ambient temperature are the largest determining factor in your idle coolant temp. How warm is the room? Are there other motherboard or drive temperatures that might suggest more about the case temperature? (post a screen shot of Link Home if you can)

Hitting 100C on Cinebench reads like a contact problem. That is a +60C delta over coolant. Yet your coolant delta for that at +5C is normal suggesting the heat is getting into the system. What this might mean is you need to tighten a few BIOS settings to prevent synthetic stress tests from slurping up too much voltage. Even if we knock 10C off the ambient/coolant temp, you would still be at 90C and that does not seem like an acceptable or expected number for ~1.25v.

When your pump is going, you usually get strange noises, wide fluctuations in RPM, etc. This is not the only potential problem. You also may see a flow restriction of some type that has similar end consequences. Sign this may be an issue are high idle coolant temps in an otherwise temperate room, large rises in coolant temp under CPU only load, followed by very slow declines that may take an hour or more. If you hit 100C in Cine in 10 seconds and also see a +5C rise in coolant temp in 10 seconds, then this is an issue. Coolant temp should be slow to go up. It takes mine almost 8 or 9 minutes to reach +5C at 100% load with moderate fan and pump speed.

Thanks for the reply.

Full size case config has 200MM fan in front sucking air in. H100i is mounted on top with fans blowing air out.

140 mm fan in rear blowing air out. 120mm fan on bottom sucking fan in.

gtx1070 idle is 40.

Last time I pulled the pump I placed a straight edge across the cpu and locking mechanism and I could not see any daylight using a flashlight. There are no fluctuations in pump speed or any gurgling noises.

I have attached a screenshot of clink home at idle after being asleep for about 4 hours and another after a Cinebench run.

Ambient temp in room is 77F.

s!AqoECWn5x1Efk3dhTipT6LN-LKAO

s!AqoECWn5x1Efk3jQ2ma3Bta0ukC9

Edit: I included two links to pics of Clink, but they don't show. I guess I'm not doing it right

If the fan speeds reported by Link are accurate for your case fans, then you certainly don't have enough airflow through that case, especially with a 1070. Your case internal temperature is quite high ... this is likely what's causing your coolant temperature to get high. Most telling is that "Aux" motherboard temperature of 48C (unless that's the Chipset, which always seems to run around 50C, regardless).

What is the max value for the vCPU/vCore?

And how long does it take for your cooler temperatures to increase to 40C or higher?

This is same issue i had before highest 99-100 degeree on load

Now its better

2 things first ensure the cooler is tightly fitted even a 0.2% gap will lead to enormous temps

try changing the thermal paste to different band if this is new cooler its fine leave it

3rd see if you can add another 2 fans in your case for the radiator ie push and pull either top or front change the fans according.

Do post the current oc'ing you have done.

a complete system spec including a side view of the pc built. We need to see the airflow and spacing for any further modification etc.

Do share the pics and details system spec for to proceed.

Thanks for the replies.

I have cranked all the fans up to max and it had no effect on idle or load temps.

The air coming out the back of the case feels cool.

Coolant temp takes less than a minute to rise 5-6 degrees.

I have attached a pic of the case interior. I have added another 120mm fan at the opening of the 5.25 drive bays blowing air over the cpu area to no effect.

Running with case covers off make no difference in temps (idle or load)

I also have attached a copy of SIV hardware status which show max vcore of 1.2v

There has been no overclocking. other than XMP for my ram, the only thing I have done is changed fixed voltage to 1.16 and then I tried offset voltage with -60mv offset.

neither setting has had any effect on temps.

I am beginning to suspect it is a seating problem, but for the life of me, I can't figure why.

I am thinking my next step may be to pull the MB and see if I can visually look at the way the pump sits on the CPU.

IMG_20180415_093537.thumb.jpg.e44a90387595a1ca900e543f582262c6.jpg

SIV.thumb.jpg.85cd67d3789a2ef501676be20c8bf682.jpg

Your fan speeds are low for the stock fans on the H100i V2.

What connector do you have this plugged in on? Are you running Link and SIV at the same time? (do not do that)

That said ... a rise of 5-6C in a few minutes is not normal or expected. This is usually indicative of some kind of blockage. Your case ambient temperature does seem a little on the high side as well but that shouldn't cause the coolant to rise that quickly.

Your fan speeds are low for the stock fans on the H100i V2.

What connector do you have this plugged in on? Are you running Link and SIV at the same time? (do not do that)

That said ... a rise of 5-6C in a few minutes is not normal or expected. This is usually indicative of some kind of blockage. Your case ambient temperature does seem a little on the high side as well but that shouldn't cause the coolant to rise that quickly.

The H100 fans are attached to the pump. I have tried cranking them up to max and nothing changed. No I do nor run SIV and link at the same time.

Thanks for the replies.

I have cranked all the fans up to max and it had no effect on idle or load temps.

The air coming out the back of the case feels cool.

Coolant temp takes less than a minute to rise 5-6 degrees.

This pretty much nails it as a flow problem or partial blockage for me. The only other reason you might see this behavior is if the radiator cannot shed heat for some reason, like if were fitted with a dense dust filter or other restriction of that type. Rapid coolant temp rise is never good and the combination with high idle coolant temps is pretty damning.

The Cinebench stuff may need another look at a few BIOS settings, but no reason to get into that until a new cooler is in place. Use the support ticket system link at the top of the page to create a RMA request. If you have another viable cooler, put it on. If you can, ask for the express RMA with a credit card hold so you can get a replacement cooler in and then ship the old back. Another option is to pick something new of your choosing and then use the RMA replacement cooler as a back up or for use somewhere else.

Just an update. I pulled the V2. The only thing I had to use was a stock intel HSF. It idles in the mid 40s but no spikes and Cinebench tops out at 94 as opposed to 100 with the V2,

but it sounds like my neighbor is sanding wood.

If Corsair does not want to replace it as I cannot find a receipt, I think I will upgrade to an H115i

Just an update. I pulled the V2. The only thing I had to use was a stock intel HSF. It idles in the mid 40s but no spikes and Cinebench tops out at 94 as opposed to 100 with the V2,

but it sounds like my neighbor is sanding wood.

If Corsair does not want to replace it as I cannot find a receipt, I think I will upgrade to an H115i

Yeah, it's unlikely that you'll get it replaced without the receipt. The H115i PRO is an excellent replacement.

I don't intend to thread hijack, I can make my own thread if wanted, but this is precisely the problem I'm having.

I have Ryzen 3, 1.35V, 3.85ghz, I was never happy with my H115i but it used to be a lot better. It used to max out at in low 70's C with these settings (my similar spec HTPC with H90 and worse airflow was still better). It has been going up slowly, now I tested today and it went to 88C before system crashed. Only doing 2 core Prime95 I'm sitting at 78C. Room temp is <20C (it's cold in upstate NY), idle mobo/vid card is 28C, idle CPU is 35C and coolant 33-34C. After 5-6 minutes coolant has risen to 41C. After 10 mins, 42C. Fans are at 2000 RPM, pump at 3000.

Seems you guys think this is a flow problem. What exactly could cause flow problem and where does it happen, at the pump or in the rad or tubes? One thing I've always noticed, at full load the rad only seems to get hot near where the hot fluid enters the rad and nowhere else, putting my hand above that spot the air is warm but everywhere else on the rad it's cold. Another question is where is the fluid temp sensor exactly? I think it must be near the hot tube.

can you try changing the thermal paste. How long have you been using the cooler for.

I have same issues with cooler master pro gel which is not suffice. As this coffee lake is really hot.

So better try noctua or any know top brand paste and re-apply. I have managed to get the temps under 90 most of the time when my ambient is below 30 but if its 35+ it still reaches 93 but never goes above 95 or even sees a spike of 100

It has been going up slowly, now I tested today and it went to 88C before system crashed. Only doing 2 core Prime95 I'm sitting at 78C. Room temp is <20C (it's cold in upstate NY), idle mobo/vid card is 28C, idle CPU is 35C and coolant 33-34C. After 5-6 minutes coolant has risen to 41C. After 10 mins, 42C. Fans are at 2000 RPM, pump at 3000.

Yes, that sounds like some type of partial blockage. For your environment, the coolant should be in the 20s at idle. Use the Support Ticket Link at the top of the page to start a RMA request.

There is something like a strainer at the pump entrance/exit. It probably has both protective and flow control purposes, but this is usually where the problem occurs. There is no way for sure to know what went wrong without cracking it open (don't), but most often you get some kind of gummy sealant/glue and anti-corrosive elements that were not supposed to come together. The coolant temp sensor (H115i Temp) should be just after the cold plate at pump exit.

@c-attack

Hm, so temp sensor is on pump. Any comment on my localized radiator heat observation?

@mondenath

The cooler is maybe 20 months old. Yes, I suspected the TIM/contact has gone awry but I'm a bit tired of reseating/re-applying, I've done it many times already. I was using MX4, but I thought maybe my tube was expired so I bought some NT-H1 last August. That dropped my temps by a couple degrees compared to fresh MX4. I can try reseat/reapply again but even my best result never reached the cooling performance of my H90 in my HTPC, which was seated once and is using the pre-applied paste.

The thing from this thread that surprised me was that the coolant was not supposed to rise so fast, if the TIM wasn't working then how is the heat getting to the coolant.

@c-attack

Hm, so temp sensor is on pump. Any comment on my localized radiator heat observation?

The thing from this thread that surprised me was that the coolant was not supposed to rise so fast, if the TIM wasn't working then how is the heat getting to the coolant.

Your description is consistent with what is normally reported for this type of issue and the reason I did not make further inquiries about case temps, fan orientation, etc. Hot coolant + cold air off the radiator = blockage. If you were to take a thermal image, you would see the heat conducting back up both tubes. The pump and the first 2 inches of tubing on both sides are warm, everywhere else cold. The heat cannot get to the dissipation point. The pumps keeps spinning and makes a little whirlwind inside its space, but coolant is not moving the way it should... theoretically.

If you totally botch the TIM or it is very old, you will get weird, high, and unpredictable core temps, but the coolant temps looks more or less normal. Any time you see the coolant temp way out of spec, it means the system can't get rid of the heat (flow or blockage) or your environment is the same temperature as the coolant. The last one can be problematic for small cases with Ti cards.

@Lenster45

I had a similar problem, I have the same taichi z370 motherboard and I noticed that on the homepage of the simple view version of the bios there is an Oc option that if enabled doesn't work at all as it should, it increases the cpu rate but the cache remains at 3.5Ghz and it gets very hot!

I'm not talking about the turbo boost that works really well for him.

And don't use a-tuning it don't work at all!

greetings from a Swiss who speaks English like a goat

@Lenster45

I had a similar problem, I have the same taichi z370 motherboard and I noticed that on the homepage of the simple view version of the bios there is an Oc option that if enabled doesn't work at all as it should, it increases the cpu rate but the cache remains at 3.5Ghz and it gets very hot!

I'm not talking about the turbo boost that works really well for him.

And don't use a-tuning it don't work at all!

greetings from a Swiss who speaks English like a goat

Make sure you separate hot CPU + normal coolant temperature and hot CPU + very warm coolant temperature.

On Z370 + Coffee Lake, it pretty much is hot and zingy out of the box and there are some definite BIOS tweaks to control the voltage that nearly everyone needs to do. When unchecked this will produce high core temps, but still relatively normal +6-8C coolant temps that behave normally (slow to rise, good quick drop when load stops, etc). 1.45v will not make your coolant go +15-20C and if you see that, there is some other troubleshooting steps to take.

I went to Bestbuy today and picked up an H110i. I would have ordered an H115 online, but I could not stand the noise on the stock HSF.

Thanks to all who helped me figure out is was the cooler, especially c-attack and you were right DevBiker no receipt no RMA.

Coolant temp is now 29.5 at idle and goes as high as 33 running Cinebench or Realbench. Highest core temp is 32 at idle and 77 under full load.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my h115i replaced, the new one is better than my old one ever was, temps are high 50's with higher ambient, my old one at its best did low 60's in winter. I believe my old one always had flow issue but it got worse over time. I am finally satisfied with the cooler. The coolant has not been over 33C, and the exhaust heat is much more spatially uniform.

Sorry again OP about threadjacking, glad you posted this thread, too bad about your receipt.

• 6 months later...

i was wondering if my temps are normal too.

I have a h150i with 3 noctua NF F12 on it, on the top in exhaust

8700k delid, 4.8GHz all core @ 1.26

Phanteks enthoo luxe case

Silent wings 3 140mm fans for the case, 3 intake, 1 exhaust

My temps are around 35 to 39 idle depending of the aio profile (quiet or customed curve)

I see the temperature jump frequently, even on idle to around 45c degrees and when i launch an app or if there is a slight activity, it can rise to 50c for few secs.

In cpu demanding game, i'm around 65 degrees on some cores.

Is all that normal?

Thanks

Archived