Corsair Community

Voyager Air, is the disk 2.5" or 3.5"? is it user upgradable?

Q I

Thanks for the replies.

As it happens I recently got 1TB 2.5", so I had an idea about getting the 500GB Air and swapping the HDD, but I don't really need that much more storage, so for the time being I will wait. As for those new 1.5TB and 2TB portables, they are interesting but the extra height is the other reason I settled on 1TB for now.

Can i change the HDD against a SSD to get the full USB 3.0 Speed?

Does the controller limit the Bandwidth or can he handle 6gb/s drives?

Greets from Germany

:sunglasse

Edit: is it possible to get a Case only Version without a HDD if it can handles SSD's?

Then sell the Case seperate or build a SSD Version!

Now it's like a Porsche with a 50hp Engine.

With SSD longer Battery life, more Speed and the Durability is higher.

This Case with a Samsung SSD 840 500gb would be perfect!

• Administrators
With SSD longer Battery life, more Speed and the Durability is higher.
The cost is a lot higher as well.

This Case with a Samsung SSD 840 500gb would be perfect!
I think we could get a better deal on our own SSDs, don't you think? :D:

For sure is it a better deal for you with your own SSD's and they are fast enough i think.

That it cost more is less important if you can buy a perfect device!

But USB 3.0 on a HDD is like 200 bucks Nike Running Shoes for a 90 years old Grandma.

It is a very nice Device but its looks like that the Designers stopped on the half way.

If you make a "Deluxe" Version with a SSD you will sell more of them as you think.

Every Admin/Enthusiast/User who need such a Device like the Voyager Air would be very happy to can get a SSD Version for maximum Performance and Comfort!

Doesn't matter what it costs.

Sure that the HDD is perfect for standart Users they don't need the Performance.

And its cheaper for that guys.

But please don't stop for being a great Company for Memory Parts/Devices and

make a Air SSD Version for the high Level guys.

U made it by the RAM Bars so please do it by the Voyager Air too!

• 3 months later...

I know it's a bit of an old thread but only heard about this device this week in a review somehwere.

I only just bought a USB 3.0 portable HDD and was desperately looking for a little device to make it into, well, this (admittedly without wifi) so slightly gutted, but mostly

(i) totally +1 to 500gb SSD version and

(ii) if you think that is killer - make it rugged too (drop / splashproof)

(iii) and for the coup-de-grace add solar panel for on-the-fly recharging

Anything that is cool is more cool if it is a bit waterproof. Every person in the world with a boat would probably buy it. And they definitely aren't price sensitive.

• 3 months later...
I know it's a bit of an old thread but only heard about this device this week in a review somehwere.

I only just bought a USB 3.0 portable HDD and was desperately looking for a little device to make it into, well, this (admittedly without wifi) so slightly gutted, but mostly

(i) totally +1 to 500gb SSD version and

(ii) if you think that is killer - make it rugged too (drop / splashproof)

(iii) and for the coup-de-grace add solar panel for on-the-fly recharging

Anything that is cool is more cool if it is a bit waterproof. Every person in the world with a boat would probably buy it. And they definitely aren't price sensitive.

Yes it is very cool..I have not got it yet but I will surely get it very soon.. Thanks for sharing information

• 1 year later...
It's a 2.5" HDD. And, all 2.5" drives (that I can find) above 1TB are the non-standard 15mm thickness so upgrading any device not designed to take a 15mm drive (vs the standard 9.5mm) is going to be difficult.

When I originally bought the Voyager Air 1 one of the things I looked at is if it could be taken apart.

The prices of SSDs were going to be coming down and they are now at the level where I would like to replace the 500GB HD in the drive for a 512GB SSD.

I realise I will be taking a chance and voiding the warranty, I'm OK with that.

My reason for wanting to upgrade to an SSD is simply power consumption and to make the drive itself more shock resistant.

I am more than happy with the drive as is mind you and am procrastinating, but at some point I will just take a wobbly and do it.

If it works out OK or doesn't then I will post my results.

I have not seen any posts anywhere stating that it can't be done; but on the other hand I have not seen anyone posting that they have done it.

• 2 years later...

I opened my Voyager Air 2+ up to check upgradeability.

The case opened easily with some regular plastic spungers, the HDD and the circuit board was fixed in the case with four philips screws. After removing them, I realized that the battery was glued to the other side of the circuit board, covering the screws that fix the HDD to the other side of the CB.

Since my unit is working fine (I was pondering putting a 2TB disk in it) I'm not interested in taking it apart further.

This was the drive mounted in my case: https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/product/storage-products/client-hdd/mq01abdxxx.html

Archived