Corsair Community

PC on Sleep Mode

TheTiesThatBind

Hey there,

When I put my PC on Sleep Mode, once I press any key on keyboard it won't post. The RAM Leds stay on while on sleep, if that matters at all, and when I press enter to wake it up, the RAM LED lights up on MOBO as well as Q-Code turns to 01.

Any idea what does this happen?

Is it windows side issue?

I tried with both XMP/OC Settings on and off, same thing happens.

Kind regards

The RAM lights on during sleep is normal. Some boards might have a way to turn them off, but usually at the cost of using extreme power saving tools that may be otherwise undesirable.

Does this only happen when trying leave the sleep state? Or are you stuck at Q-code 01 every time you try and boot?

01 is not likely to be RAM issue, but it is also a little concerning to hang on the very first steps in the wake chain. Put the RAM back on JEDEC default 2133 and put your CPU overclock back to normal as well. You may have already had to clear CMOS the first time, but definitely put those back in check. I don't really want to speculate without knowing more about your current operational state.

The 01 code is temporary and only appears when I try to come out from sleep state. As I said the main, is I can call it like this, is the 03 which is combined with the DRAM Led staying on (I don’t mean the ram lights, which also are on but it’s not a concern) . I have already tried to run on defaults and the issue remained

Kind regards

So it goes something like this:

Sleep -> Wake the PC -> QCode 03 and RAM Led on MOBO stays on -> 01 QCode Red Led turns on (I guess the cpu one) -> 03 comes back and the orange led of ram. I have to shut down the PC from power button so it can post again (it says 30 on QCode when I go into Windows which I think means that it wake from sleep).. This only happens while on sleep mode.

If you are trying to rule out the memory and since you appear to be otherwise functional, you run Mem Test or HCI or any of the other memory tests at default 2133 to see if it kicks back errors. You may have already done this. Yes, the 30 code is normal for a post sleep state, wake state. If you have hibernate turned on the in the OS menu, I would turn it off and see if the behavior changes. That may prompt you to turn off Windows fast start as well, which should be of no benefit to you on the m.2 drive.

I think the board or PSU is the more likely suspect, but ruling out the RAM is an easier (relatively) procedure. Board and PSU troubleshooting are difficult. If you have not done so already, you might also post in the Asus forums. No guarantee of help there either, but perhaps someone can add more meaning to the 03 code. I only know what it says in the manual and can't turn that into anything useful here.

Thanks for the reply C! Hibernate is already disabled as well as fast startup from the Power Plan options / settings. Shall I disable fast boot from BIOS as well? I did a post in asus forums but didn’t find any help there. Just trying to figure out what’s the issue, got another friend with Ryzen system, MSI board and different brand memory, facing the same problem so it could also be just an OS issue ?

Disabling Fast Boot from the BIOS should not matter for this. It mostly relates to activating USB devices, SATA drives etc. on cold boot. Now it can cause other issues, but not this.

I don't know the answer at this point. If you know someone else with the same board and they are having the same problem, that does point toward the board. Generally speaking, most wake from sleep issues are PSU or motherboard related, but that is certainly not guaranteed. Sadly, the troubleshooting steps for board and PSU usually start with something like: Step 1 - install your alternate PSU/motherboard. Not really something most people keep around. The PSU is doable. Having another motherboard compatible with your current CPU is a laugher, not to mention the OS hurdles of trying someone else's motherboard. I am not sure what to suggest at this point. It is probably easier to avoid using the sleep function than it is to try out a different PSU, which I am far from certain is the most probably suspect.

Would it matter for the OC though?

Anyway, the issue goes like this cause I've tried it once more:

PC Enters sleep mode. I press Enter, the all leds light up, DRAM led turns ON and error code 01 appears on QLed. Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard have no signal/leds on.

That's all.

Thanks for the help anyway! It's not that important after all, just wanted to rule out that there's any ram issue.

• 2 months later...
Disabling Fast Boot from the BIOS should not matter for this. It mostly relates to activating USB devices, SATA drives etc. on cold boot. Now it can cause other issues, but not this.

I don't know the answer at this point. If you know someone else with the same board and they are having the same problem, that does point toward the board. Generally speaking, most wake from sleep issues are PSU or motherboard related, but that is certainly not guaranteed. Sadly, the troubleshooting steps for board and PSU usually start with something like: Step 1 - install your alternate PSU/motherboard. Not really something most people keep around. The PSU is doable. Having another motherboard compatible with your current CPU is a laugher, not to mention the OS hurdles of trying someone else's motherboard. I am not sure what to suggest at this point. It is probably easier to avoid using the sleep function than it is to try out a different PSU, which I am far from certain is the most probably suspect.

Returning to this topic, I recently replaced my EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W with the Corsair RM750x and the issue is gone. Also, since I did the change, the post code which displayed "00" when I shut down the PC, turns off, and the "G, P, M" leds on the GPU also turns off (used to stay on along with Post Code).

So, was this a PSU issue? Shall I proceed to a RMA?

Kind regards

Archived