Corsair Community

Icue scimitar Pro rebind button 4 "profile switch"

joepiler

Hello,

Just bought a scimitar pro after having worn out several razer nagas the last few years.

I want to be able to rebind the profile switch button cause i really only need 1 profile. I know that with CUE sofwtare this could be done with a fix to a n XML file however with icue i can not find said file it's definitely where it was with cue v2.xxx

Any help?

i bought our intern a scimitar pro as a gift and i had only had regular scimitars and i noticed the top two buttons are completely different inside cue in the pro model. I forget what i did and dont have access to it since i gave it to him but i recall you could still override the dpi button or no?

• 3 months later...

Had to create an account just to post this:

Yes I ask the same question too - with the older CUE, you were able to map the top two buttons as button 4 and button 5 or equivalently web forward and web back (or is it the other way around?), why is it that we can no longer map that button?

Now with the newly universal and latest iCUE v3.9.93, it would appear the top most button closest to the scroll wheel is now locked to profile change button and the latter button is free to be either web back or forward. So what if I only have the one profile? Wouldn't that moot that now greyed out forced profile switcher mapping to button 4 and need both web forward and web backward to work?

Yes you could ask "Why don't you use your bountiful 12 side buttons and map one of them as the missing key?" And I'll reply with "...but they're all already pre-mapped for something else, yes all 12 of them; so no room for that extra 13th button function unfortunately..." I have had been going with this loadout ever since I first installed CUE and mapped their keys such that they were equivalent to Razer's Naga Epic 2012's key mapping which was the mouse I was using before it died on me.....

Why did you guys lock us out of mapping the top button that's seemingly greyed out at profile switch? I had a good loadout, now it's ruin because one button is mapped differently......and I can't change said mapping either coz it's greyed out....

Edited by CosairScimitarP

I’m not looking at it atm but is that a hardware profile at the top left? The sd card looking thing? That would be a hardware profile. Software profiles often have more features & this could be one of them. If you hit the plus it may create a new software profile. I’ll try to confirm tomorrow either way

I’m not looking at it atm but is that a hardware profile at the top left? The sd card looking thing? That would be a hardware profile. Software profiles often have more features & this could be one of them. If you hit the plus it may create a new software profile. I’ll try to confirm tomorrow either way

...I think so...? Why can't I custom bind mouse 4 to that button and hardcode as a profile on the mouses' onboard profiles, so that I could use it with other computers without needing the iCUE software to config everything key binds again since it's all onboard....?

• Corsair Employee
...I think so...? Why can't I custom bind mouse 4 to that button and hardcode as a profile on the mouses' onboard profiles, so that I could use it with other computers without needing the iCUE software to config everything key binds again since it's all onboard....?

That profile button will be locked in HW mode, but can be remapped in the SW. We originally put this in requirement to lock this button in HW mode because once you have it bind to another action and you didn't remap the profile switch to another button, then you wont be able to switch profile in HW mode.

http://www.smithany.com/promodeldifferences.png

The higher order F keys are not available in hardware mode, but my DPI buttons appears to be ok in the latest icue?

That's a hardware profile(since you said if you have the SD card looking icon next to the profile name it is such), how did you get the mouse4 button un-greyed?

How come mine isn't??! 0OS8Aao.png

I'm assuming since I don't have the SD like icon next to the profile name, mine is in software mode?

That profile button will be locked in HW mode, but can be remapped in the SW. We originally put this in requirement to lock this button in HW mode because once you have it bind to another action and you didn't remap the profile switch to another button, then you wont be able to switch profile in HW mode.

Yes but what if you intentionally remap the profile button and had no intentions of switching to the other two profiles on hardware mode? Or better yet, how about an extra dedicated button for this purpose(instead of using up mouse 4 button), like a small circle right in the middle, ok maybe not right in the middle, maybe hidden somewhere so that it's not accidentally pressed whilst gaming...?

I guess spoiler tags for dropdown menu doesn't work....

going to have to look tomorrow. I realize i had both scimitars plugged in and my non hw was already programmed in that profile to have dpi up down selected as such so maybe that is why icue chose to show it that way. I may have thought i clicked on the hardware mouse but didnt notice the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
going to have to look tomorrow. I realize i had both scimitars plugged in and my non hw was already programmed in that profile to have dpi up down selected as such so maybe that is why icue chose to show it that way. I may have thought i clicked on the hardware mouse but didnt notice the difference.

....sooo....it's taking a while, did you forget?

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so I decided to downgrade to 2.25 and yes it would appear it's definitely hardware coded so I can't bind the Profile switch button to mouse 4, ie browser forward....

So how were you able to get that profile switch button to ungreyed....in hardware mode?

Also is it me or does that date read 12-03-18? Don't think I've posted that far back in March......or maybe I have and it's been while since I last been on here.... It would appear its using that weird MM/DD/YYYY date format that I despise....hahaha....

EDIT: Picture here for illustration below:

q082MUB.png

Because I would like to very know how you did despite staff stating it is not possible.....maybe staff member was not aware there was a way and was just parroting what the FAQ read or what he had been told/read?

Image and correction

I'm not staff, but I think you knew that I just wanted to be 100% clear on that.

I am sorry I actually didnt forget about you, but I got buried at work back in early december and then our intern left for bigger and better things and took his Pro scimitar with him so i could not retest.

I think what may have happened is, I at the time of the screenshot and test, had both a regular scimitar and a pro scimitar plugged in. I am not certain which was selected on screen that happened to have the profile selected. Not sure if that is relevant, but I think it could be? In other words if i had clicked on the other mouse you see at the top my options may've been different but i can't know at this point.

Hopefully some one else can reply like Inheritance, or perhaps DevBiker or some other regulars I feel like at least one of them have one

I'm not staff, but I think you knew that I just wanted to be 100% clear on that.

I was talking about Greybeard....

I am sorry I actually didnt forget about you, but I got buried at work back in early december and then our intern left for bigger and better things and took his Pro scimitar with him so i could not retest.
Oh.....lovely.....I guess that's all the feedback I'll be getting from you.....unless you wanna buy the mouse yourself and try this thing out with me....? :p:

I think what may have happened is, I at the time of the screenshot and test, had both a regular scimitar and a pro scimitar plugged in. I am not certain which was selected on screen that happened to have the profile selected. Not sure if that is relevant, but I think it could be? In other words if i had clicked on the other mouse you see at the top my options may've been different but i can't know at this point.
I believe the Pro and non-pro have slight differences in appearance so you would be able to tell them apart....if I recall....:sigh!:

Plus yours says Scimitar Pro anyways on the hardware profile, so that means you were using the Pro version....

- 16k dpi vs. 12k dpi

- hardware playback (dunno what this is...but read it on the forums...)

- tough centering pad on the G5 key where the non-pro doesn't have it

- Supposedly only the Pro version had onboard memory whereas the non-pro did not which would have meant it was impossible to have a hardware profile on the non-pro version...

If all that checks out with you from memory, then you were testing the pro version...

Hopefully some one else can reply like Inheritance, or perhaps DevBiker or some other regulars I feel like at least one of them have one
...yes....

yes all correct, I will hit up the discord tonight and bug someone about it. For the record, if there is a difference in appearance on the pro vs non pro, it is very minor and your really cant tell which is which side by side other than the weight and feel of the buttons. I am pretty sure they look the same in icue on the top, and since they were both present in the top menu, that's why i have a suspicion i could have been on the wrong one on screen.

hey sorry i just re read everything and I am certain now that my screencap showed the regular scimitar, not the pro model as it said DPI up down not the "profile switch" button as seen on the hardware memory having pro model. Is there a workaround for you? Ie, are you trying to pre load stuff on the mouse to take it 'on the road' or is having icue running not an option?

hey sorry i just re read everything and I am certain now that my screencap showed the regular scimitar, not the pro model as it said DPI up down not the "profile switch" button as seen on the hardware memory having pro model. Is there a workaround for you? Ie, are you trying to pre load stuff on the mouse to take it 'on the road' or is having icue running not an option?

Oh.....that's too bad then.... :[pouts:

There isn't a workaround without installing the iCUE software so I can bind the profile button to mouse4........unless Corsair decides to push new firmware for the mouse and update for the iCUE software to allow this be changed.

I don't know it just seems silly for a customizable mouse to only not have two of the buttons you want customized be customizeable....

Hell let me compare this to the Naga Epic 2012 mouse I was using before - all buttons were customizable, even the profile switch button it had. Too bad it died....and the Naga Trinity's middle scroll wheel was a little uncomfortable to use so had to return that and now trying the Scimitar Pro which I now find is hampered by an uncustomizable button that I wish to change that was possible in both the Trinity and Naga Epic moues....

Had the Trinity not have that uncomfortable scroll wheel, I may have stuck with that...unfortunately it does so I am now stuck with the Scimitar Pro...

I think there was a couple of other 12 side button mices about.....besides the Razer Naga Epic and Trinity....maybe I should switch to those and try them out....?

• 7 months later...

Created An Account just because this problem wasted me hours of time and I wanna put the solution out there

I only know this works for CUE software version 2.10.71, it can be found online. I'm pretty sure later versions don't use the file I did.

So:

1: Open a text editor as an administrator (I wasn't able to open the file without doing so, notepad should work)

2: Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\devices

3: Open profile_scimitar.xml (note: check if you have a scimitar pro if this doesn't work, you might need to open profile_scimitar_pro_rgb)

4:find the tag "protectedKeysForHwProfile" and delete the name inside of the <item> tag (I forget the name)

5: Restart your computer I spent an hour wondering why this wasn't working because I assumed CUE would recheck the file when I closed it and unclosed it. Just killing CUE in the task manager might work but I know for a fact rebooting does

6: hopefully your profile switch key should be unlocked

unlocking the left mouse click is done in the same file under <protectedKeys>

Edited by combat1921
  • Like 1

There really should be an option to only use one HW profile and be able to rebind the profile switch. Makes a lot of sense, far from everyone needs multiple profiles.

Definitely, I'm on Linux so I need hardware profiles to work well for the mouse to do its job and I really don't see why that would entail me needing to download outdated versions of software and playing around with xml files (in administrator mode), especially without any actual first party documentation on how to do this.

There really should be a one click option to turn off all the RGB features as well. I wanted a scimitar because it has better build quality and buttons than the logitech G600, I don't need or want the rice.